advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Oops. Authors retract preprint article suggesting Covid vaccination causes myocarditis
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 10, 2021 10:21PM
Math error. No, really.

facepalm

A preprint study first published on MedRxiv that claimed a 1 in 1,000 risk of contracting myocarditis from a COVID-19 vaccination has been withdrawn due to miscalculations.

… The study was first published on September 16 and…was widely used [by anti-vaxxers] to promote the idea that the COVID-19 vaccine is unsafe for use.

…By their [initial] calculations, the risk of myocarditis was 1 in 1,000 or 0.1%.

However, the numbers used by the study were wrong. The authors largely [as in hugely!] underestimated the amount of vaccines delivered…They initially said that the number of vaccines delivered was 32,379 - when it was actually 854,930.

Turns out that the (rare!) risk of myocarditis in young men (the big “finding” in this study) appears to be at least six times higher from Covid infection than any minuscule possible risk from the vaccine.

…The University of Ottawa Heart Institute…issued a statement of apology for any misinformation being spread as a result of this study.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Oops. Authors retract preprint article suggesting Covid vaccination causes myocarditis
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 10, 2021 10:28PM
Fake retraction. Somebody got to the authors.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Re: Oops. Authors retract preprint article suggesting Covid vaccination causes myocarditis
Date: October 10, 2021 10:39PM
More numbers. Very, very rare - between 2 in 100,000 and 1 in a million - and usually mild.
Date: October 10, 2021 11:47PM
BTW, one more anti-vaccine conspiracy theory I’ve been following:

Robert Malone is a guy who is genuinely notable for doing some graduate research 30 years ago with mRNA and liposomes which suggested the possibility of making an mRNA vaccine someday. He actually permanently left his graduate program to pursue this commercially, but now feels that his mentor and business partners stole his idea, etc. In actual fact, it took years and years of work by other people to make mRNA vaccines a reality, and while Malone’s early work is noted, he’s generally considered only a minor contributor among hundreds of others to the eventual success of such vaccines.

But he and his wife say he has been “written out of history”, a victim of “intellectual rape” and so on. He likes to call himself the inventor of mRNA vaccines, or as some right-wing, anti-vaxxer sites say, “the inventor of mRNA”, although I’m pretty sure nature did that billions of years ago.

Why are anti-vaxxer sites chiming in? Because Malone has become a bit of an anti-vaxxer himself, relaying Covid vaccine misinformation on Steve Bannon’s podcast, for instance.

Anyway, to come to the point, apparently the other day he tried to log on to the New England Journal of Medicine’s website and got a message his IP address was blocked. (This has apparently happened to others occasionally, and NEJM gives a phone number to call to fix it.) Knowledgeable reddit contributors point out that most people don’t have fixed IP addresses, but rather have them temporarily assigned by their ISP’s, and suggest he may have been assigned one by his ISP by random that had a problematic history resulting in an earlier block by NEJM, and suggest restarting his router would likely fix it. (!)

But in the wingnutosphere, this is clearly a Deep State Effort to Silence a Truthteller, even though…umm…it only prevented Malone from reading an NEJM article, temporarily. Check out the “Desert Review” (one site which calls Malone “the inventor of mRNA” and helpfully includes a graphic of Einstein) to get the flavor of this heinous travesty…or just Google “inventor of mrna vaccine ip blocked by nejm” to fully immerse yourself in the righteous outrage. The Truth is Out There!

Hoo boy.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 11, 2021 07:25AM
Speedy

Big Vaccine strikes again!
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: October 11, 2021 09:35AM
Speedy

Exactly. Just like with the autism study published in the Lancet.
Everyone is involved in the conspiracy - big pharm, doctors, dentists, pharmacists, nurses, politicians, morticians...they all want us to die so that they make big money.
Trump said that we can't trust anyone but him, but now even he has been bought.

The only one I can trust with information is my nephew's three year old son. No one has gotten to him, yet. He told me "shots hurt - shots bad." I'm taking him at his word.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 11, 2021 11:30AM
S. Pupp
Speedy

Everyone is involved in the conspiracy - big pharm, doctors, dentists, pharmacists, nurses, politicians, morticians...they all want us to die so that they make big money.

The only one I can trust with information is my nephew's three year old son. No one has gotten to him, yet. He told me "shots hurt - shots bad." I'm taking him at his word.

If you can't trust a New York City real estate mogul and reality TV star leveraged up to his eyeballs and working on his third wife, who can you trust?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 11, 2021 12:32PM
Acer
and working on his third wife

He already got that one.

You mean fourth?

I think Melania is playing the long game, which shouldn't be that much longer at this point.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 11, 2021 12:56PM
S. Pupp
Speedy

Did he get a sucker? They got to him.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 12, 2021 11:04PM
We really need to get people to understand that these initial stand-alone studies aren't worth a fiddler's fart.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 157
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020