advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Then and now
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 13, 2021 05:36PM
We need moor gunz!

A Florida man was arrested Tuesday in the shooting death of a woman who was on a Zoom call when her 2-year-old fired a gun, officials said.

The man, Veondre Avery, 22, the child's father, faces charges of manslaughter and failure to securely store a firearm in the killing of Shamaya Lynn, 21, on Aug. 11, the state attorney's office said in a statement.

"I know it's tragic, I know it may not have been something that that person wanted to do, but now you have consequences," Altamonte Springs Police Officer Rob Ruiz told reporters Tuesday.

Well, it's not like he gave this kid the gun:

A Kentucky mother stepped outside of her home just for a few minutes, but it was long enough for her 5-year-old son to accidentally shoot and kill his 2-year-old sister with the .22-caliber rifle he got for his birthday, state officials said.

...The boy was playing with it Tuesday when it accidentally went off and killed his sister, White said.

...The shooting that took the life of Caroline Sparks in southern Kentucky has been ruled an accident, Kentucky State Police Trooper Billy Gregory said.

“It’s just one of those nightmares,” he said...

“It’s just tragic,” uncle David Mann told the CNN affiliate. “It’s something that you can’t prepare for.

“It was God’s will. It was her time to go, I guess,” [said the killed child's grandmother].

Different state, different time. Manslaughter charged in the case where the dad left a loaded gun available for a 2-year-old to find. Just a tragedy in a case where they gave a 5 year old a rifle he could "play" with loaded.

(Oh, and the guy that got charged is Black.)

Are things getting better, or they getting worse?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Then and now
Posted by: Ammo
Date: October 13, 2021 06:27PM
“It was God’s will.”

Every amoralist in the world loves this one because it flys off the tongue, requires no intelligence, and cloaks your disregard in religious piety.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 13, 2021 07:25PM
Many places, including Seattle, require that firearms be either locked up, or rendered inoperable, like with a trigger lock. All but 2 of mine are in the safe right now, for instance. One of those is dismantled, waiting on a few parts. The other is at arms reach.

The reason they do this is now they can charge the idiots who let this happen.

Every firearm I have purchased in the past 25+ years either shipped in a hard case that could be secured with a padlock or two, or shipped with a trigger lock, or both. Many cities or police depts will actually give you a trigger lock. Seattle had a lock box drive this summer, and gave away over 200 basic pistol lock boxes.

Idiots like those are slowly but steadily polarizing the ignorant against firearm ownership to the detriment of those of us who are safe and conscientious.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: abevilac
Date: October 13, 2021 07:27PM
Is there any chance that the Florida case involved a black family and the Kentucky a white one?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 13, 2021 07:42PM
abevilac
Is there any chance that the Florida case involved a black family and the Kentucky a white one?

I think that was the point of the thread.
Date: October 13, 2021 07:42PM
abevilac

DingDingDingDing!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 13, 2021 09:36PM
Posted by: Ted King
Date: October 14, 2021 11:10AM
Not about guns but...

[www.newsweek.com]

The students at Coosa High School in Rome, Georgia, were upset following an incident where four students were filmed carrying the [Confederate] flag during a "farm day"-themed school spirit day without facing repercussions. A number of Black students, along with their white and Latino classmates, spoke out against the act and called it racist.

"I feel the Confederate flag should not be flown at all. It is a racist symbol and it makes me feel disrespected," student organizer Jaylynn Murray told Atlanta news station WGCL-TV.

Another student organizer, Deziya Fain, said that the school did not punish the students for carrying the flag but has a policy against students wearing Black Lives Matter apparel.

e pluribus unum
Date: October 14, 2021 11:28AM
Ted King
...the school did not punish the students for carrying the flag but has a policy against students wearing Black Lives Matter apparel.

facepalm
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 14, 2021 10:29PM
A Florida man was arrested Tuesday in the shooting death of a woman who was on a Zoom call when her 2-year-old fired a gun, officials said.

The man, Veondre Avery, 22, the child's father, faces charges of manslaughter and failure to securely store a firearm in the killing of Shamaya Lynn, 21, on Aug. 11, the state attorney's office said in a statement.

Had the weapon been properly secured and the child properly supervised, the weapon wouldn't have been loaded and the child wouldn't have been playing with it, assuming it was the child who actually fired the weapon.

Without a doubt, Avery belongs in jail.

“It’s just one of those nightmares,” he said, “a quick thing that happens when you turn your back.”

Young children in the area are often introduced to guns at an early age, Gregory said.

Just one of those crazy things, just something that happens when a child get access to an unsecured loaded weapon?

I'm detecting a theme here – buy a gun, keep it loaded, and 'store' it were children have access to it.

It's entirely possible the child was playing with the weapon, and he accidentally discharged it while it was inadvertantly pointed at Sis.

I tend to lean toward the child did mean to aim it at Sis, did mean to pull the trigger, but didn't realize it was loaded.

Her family kept the Crickett rifle in what they considered to be a safe spot, Cumberland County Coroner Gary White told the CNN affiliate.

The boy was playing with it Tuesday when it accidentally went off and killed his sister, White said.

“The little Crickett rifle is a single-shot rifle, and it has a child safety,” White told CNN. “It’s just a tragic situation.”

Unsecured, unsupervised, and allowed to play with a weapon.

Someone belonged in jail here, too.

“It’s just tragic,” uncle David Mann told the CNN affiliate. “It’s something that you can’t prepare for.”

Total BS – not just tragic, but stupid, senseless, and wholly preventable.

One can't prepare for the overwhelming angst and guilt felt for being responsible for a wholly preventable death.

But one certainly can prepare for preventing such a stupid, senseless tragedy in the first place.

That family didn't do that, and nobody deserves to be let off the hook.

These are almost always ruled as accidents, with a DA almost always saying 'We're not prosecuting because the family has suffered enough'.

No, they haven't.

The responsible irresponsible parties belong in jail.

I've little experience with the Coroner side of things, but almost all of these types of shooting deaths should be ruled as a 'preventable accident' where appropriate.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 14, 2021 11:29PM
Why did the 5yo have access to both the ammo AND the rifle?

Without ammunition, a firearm is just a club.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 145
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020