advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Three for three + eight?
Posted by: Wags
Date: October 14, 2021 11:43AM
I've been driving shifts in one of my taxis lately due to a driver shortage. I get to interact frequently with all manner of zombies, tweakers, and bersekers on a regular basis. One affable tweaker told me he had been vaxed 11 times. Supposedly a city program is paying them $200 to get the shot, and not keeping track of who does.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Three for three + eight?
Posted by: timg
Date: October 14, 2021 12:35PM
where is this?

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Date: October 14, 2021 01:14PM
People’s Republic of Portland. I haven’t been able to independently verify this, but it seems perfectly plausible, given the city’s complete lack of a plan to deal with the 8k homeless other than to hand out free tents.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 14, 2021 01:28PM
smart.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 14, 2021 01:52PM
So the Portland tweakers will be the sole survivors of the next pandemic. Definitely time to write a script for the next row of weird end of the world things.

"Apocalypse.. the search for More Meth"
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 14, 2021 02:06PM
Aha!

That's how to get a Moderna booster!

Just hang out in a homeless-camp. 'Round here they're 90+ percent vaccinated.

Posted by: Ted King
Date: October 14, 2021 02:48PM
cbelt3
So the Portland tweakers will be the sole survivors of the next pandemic. Definitely time to write a script for the next row of weird end of the world things.

"Apocalypse.. the search for More Meth"

smiley-laughing001

e pluribus unum
Date: October 14, 2021 03:01PM
Wags
People’s Republic of Portland. I haven’t been able to independently verify this, but it seems perfectly plausible, given the city’s complete lack of a plan to deal with the 8k homeless other than to hand out free tents.

Around my part of Portland they permanently closed all of the public park restrooms. It's a no-win situation for park administrators, though. The public restrooms were getting heavily used as a place for homeless drug-takers to take their drugs. There were used needles left in them. I get to the park way early to play with my dog and one morning I called the fire department because the restroom building was on fire. Somebody had used bolt-cutters on the heavy duty lock to the restroom door and somehow started a roll of toilet paper into smoldering away like crazy. I heard a fireman warn another fireman about the needles on the floor. The city has put at least one porta-potty in the park, though.

Something needs to be done. I'm all for doing whatever empirical evidence says works to alleviate the hard conditions for the homeless.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: p8712
Date: October 14, 2021 03:06PM
I hope he mixed brands.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 14, 2021 03:36PM
Have a drug dispensary where you must use the drugs on-site and turn in your syringe.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: October 14, 2021 03:52PM
Ted King
Wags

Around my part of Portland they permanently closed all of the public park restrooms. It's a no-win situation for park administrators, though. The public restrooms were getting heavily used as a place for homeless drug-takers to take their drugs. There were used needles left in them. I get to the park way early to play with my dog and one morning I called the fire department because the restroom building was on fire. Somebody had used bolt-cutters on the heavy duty lock to the restroom door and somehow started a roll of toilet paper into smoldering away like crazy. I heard a fireman warn another fireman about the needles on the floor. The city has put at least one porta-potty in the park, though.

Something needs to be done. I'm all for doing whatever empirical evidence says works to alleviate the hard conditions for the homeless.

City leaders paint green boxes on street corners, build rarely used bike lanes and install concrete planters in intersections. They spend unknown amounts of money on pet vanity projects while holding on to their $60m budget surplus and tout the 2 or 3 homeless camps they’ve put together that can accommodate less than 100 of the thousands of people living on the street. Fiddling while Rome burns.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 14, 2021 04:50PM
Seattle is fairly similar. They were supposed to make 10 miles of bike lanes but spent all the money before completing 2 miles. 160 million spent on 'homeless' issues with almost nothing to show for it. I think they would get better results by giving the money directly to the people and cut out the five layers of middlepersons taking their cut.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 14, 2021 10:39PM
Wags
I've been driving shifts in one of my taxis lately due to a driver shortage. I get to interact frequently with all manner of zombies, tweakers, and bersekers on a regular basis. One affable tweaker told me he had been vaxed 11 times. Supposedly a city program is paying them $200 to get the shot, and not keeping track of who does.

And you believe him.

Do you imagine they just have a stack of hundreds at the clinic and hand them out?
Date: October 15, 2021 10:48AM
pdq
Wags

And you believe him.

Do you imagine they just have a stack of hundreds at the clinic and hand them out?

Gift cards
Date: October 15, 2021 12:29PM
Wags
pdq
Wags

And you believe him.

Gift cards

Ah. And they’re not really $200, are they? This site says $100, for the first one only. And $50 for the second.

And

…you will need to sign or initial a log saying you received it.

So you’re in a log book as receiving it.

Now, it’s possible that this guy is committing fraud, giving different names at different locations and saying it’s his first vaccination, over and over again, to get gift cards. Which is on him - that’s fraud, and it’s criminal.

But it doesn’t sound like they’re not keeping track. I think it’s more likely this guy was BS’ing you.
Date: October 15, 2021 01:13PM
Hmm. You really think they’re checking initials? Gift cards are as good as cash amongst this population. As someone who drives around Portland all day and sees the utter chaos and despair I’m certain that this scam is real. There are multiple programs handing out vax and gift cards. One gives out $150 plus $50 for someone who brings them in. Not hard to imagine them teaming up. 11 is likely a tweakers mind inflating reality. But maybe not.
Date: October 15, 2021 01:37PM
pdq

And you believe him.

PS - where did I say any of this?
Date: October 15, 2021 03:15PM
Wags
Hmm. You really think they’re checking initials? Gift cards are as good as cash amongst this population. As someone who drives around Portland all day and sees the utter chaos and despair I’m certain that this scam is real..

No, they’re initialing a log book, probably next to their name, which is what you typically have in a log book.

I don’t mean to come across as an @#$%&, but I’m all about data. There’s just so much BS floating around out there today that people pass on as truth, or “I heard…”

For instance, if Portland is such a hellhole, filled with utter chaos and despair, why is it growing so fast?

Date: October 15, 2021 03:50PM
pdq

For instance, if Portland is such a hellhole, filled with utter chaos and despair, why is it growing so fast?

I want to be clear that though I related how things are with homeless drug use in the city parks, I think Portland and the area of Portland where I live are fine places (although I'm sure there are some neighborhoods where things are not as safe as they should be).

But there are a lot of homeless people around. Tents pop up at the park and may be there for a week or so. Most of the people living in the tents don't bother the people with houses and are not hassled about camping out in the park. Unfortunately, there seems to be a tendency to leave a smallish pile of rubbish behind when leave but mostly not too bad.

I don't know what proportion of homeless people are illegal drug users so it's hard to say that drugs are the biggest reason for homelessness here. At a minimum individual drug users have a much bigger impact on the community so their numbers may appear bigger than they are. I have extra sympathy for those who are homeless whose lives are being made worse because of homeless drug users.

But I also have sympathy for anybody who is brought low by drug use. I don't think determinism is true (that there are no free will choices), but there is gravity and hormones and stuff that works to bend our behavior in certain ways - like addictive personalities - so I'm not inclined to get too moralistically judgemental about illegal drug use per se that mostly hurts the addict. I'd gladly sign for taxes to fund programs that actually help.

Other than losing a home because of drug use, there is insufficient affordable housing that is driving a big part of the homelessness problem. Ironically, that so many people are moving here - as you point out - plays a big role in there being insufficient affordable housing for low income earners. It benefits my wife and I personally because we 100% own our home and it's hefty increase in value has made it a good investment. I wouldn't mind paying back some of that increased equity, though, to increase the equity of housing in Portland. We should provide more subsidized housing.

e pluribus unum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2021 03:53PM by Ted King.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 16, 2021 11:06AM
pdq
Wags
Hmm. You really think they’re checking initials? Gift cards are as good as cash amongst this population. As someone who drives around Portland all day and sees the utter chaos and despair I’m certain that this scam is real..

No, they’re initialing a log book, probably next to their name, which is what you typically have in a log book.

Vaccinations sites in your state demand ID?

Here they'll take whatever information you tell them.

Getting my booster ASAP...I'll have to sign a form saying that I have one or more conditions that warrant it.

Now, I haven't actually been diagnosed with any of them, but given my age and general body shape I'm sure I've got at least one.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2021 11:09AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 19, 2021 10:34AM
We have a tendency to get too worried about a few allegedly abusing public programs. We're ready to end something benefiting thousands because a dozen double-dip.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020