advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Very Fine People on Both Sides
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 14, 2021 08:37PM
“ Southlake school leader tells teachers to balance Holocaust books with 'opposing' views “

‘ SOUTHLAKE, Texas — A top administrator with the Carroll Independent School District in Southlake advised teachers last week that if they have a book about the Holocaust in their classroom, they should also offer students access to a book from an “opposing” perspective, according to an audio recording obtained by NBC News.

Gina Peddy, the Carroll school district’s executive director of curriculum and instruction, made the comment Friday afternoon during a training session on which books teachers can have in classroom libraries. The training came four days after the Carroll school board, responding to a parent’s complaint, voted to reprimand a fourth grade teacher who had kept an anti-racism book in her classroom.

A Carroll staff member secretly recorded the Friday training and shared the audio with NBC News.

“Just try to remember the concepts of [House Bill] 3979,” Peddy said in the recording, referring to a new Texas law that requires teachers to present multiple perspectives when discussing “widely debated and currently controversial” issues. “And make sure that if you have a book on the Holocaust,” Peddy continued, “that you have one that has an opposing, that has other perspectives.”

“How do you oppose the Holocaust?” one teacher said in response. ‘

[www.nbcnews.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Very Fine People on Both Sides
Posted by: p8712
Date: October 14, 2021 08:42PM
“I’m sure some of them had it coming.”
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 14, 2021 09:15PM
I feel like I'm on a steep slide in a hand basket.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: October 14, 2021 09:39PM
Jesus, I wish at least one person had thought to ask her for an example of a book with an ‘opposing view’ of the Holocaust.

In a world where sanity reigned, she would have been stripped of her position on the spot.

And a teacher reprimanded for having an anti-racism book in her class. smdh

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 14, 2021 09:59PM
What would constitute a pro-racism counter text?
Would Mein Kampf be A r y a n enough?

the phorum nanny needs to lighten up!
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 14, 2021 10:49PM
She doesn’t have a anti-Semitic bone in her body. She just wants both sides of thought represented; that the Holocaust was an attempt at genocide that killed millions, vs it was all made up by those tricksy Jews.

That’s all.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 15, 2021 06:27AM
Ugh. Some people need to be told that not all opinions have value, just because they exist. We don’t sit there having endless debate on whether or not it’s OK to mass execute civilians. As a society, some things really are settled.
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 15, 2021 07:35AM
I wonder what their selection of books about project Apollo and the moon landings will be like. Will the books from the opposing side be in the non-fiction or fiction section of the library?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 15, 2021 09:19AM
But, what about all the good things Hitler did?
Posted by: wave rider
Date: October 15, 2021 09:26AM
RAMd®d
I feel like I'm on a steep slide in a hand basket.

Well put.

=wr=
Posted by: p8712
Date: October 15, 2021 10:38AM
Lux Interior

Fantastic dog breeder; good artist! Nobody ever brings that up! Why?
Date: October 15, 2021 11:10AM
p8712
Lux Interior

...and Benito and those trains...
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 15, 2021 01:59PM
WaPo picked this up, with additional context. Peddy appears frustrated to have to convey the garbled law to the teachers, and her higher-ups released a statement clarifying there would be no “opposing” views taught on this subject because of course there are no opposing facts.

But hey! Opposition to good ‘ol fashioned American racism teachings and other “controversial” issues are still up for debate.
Date: October 15, 2021 02:10PM
deckeda
WaPo picked this up, with additional context. Peddy appears frustrated to have to convey the garbled law to the teachers, and her higher-ups released a statement clarifying there would be no “opposing” views taught on this subject because of course there are no opposing facts.

But hey! Opposition to good ‘ol fashioned American racism teachings and other “controversial” issues are still up for debate.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 15, 2021 02:16PM
RgrF
p8712
Lux Interior

...and Benito and those trains...

We know why it was so important to Hitler that trains ran on time...

It is what it is.
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 15, 2021 03:25PM
deckeda

Well, exactly. I wouldn’t be surprised if this particular speaker was just trying to explain what the law or local public sentiment is over this. But it makes the point. Some things don’t need or deserve “equal time” (like teaching creationism in equal measure to evolution/biology/geology/etc in science class).

And this is Southlake we’re talking about.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: October 15, 2021 04:10PM
SOMEBODY in that district's administration made the decision to "train" the teachers giving those instructions. That person or those people should be identified and brought before the public to explain themselves. And I don't mean that they provide some lawyerspeak but rather that they explain in detail all the decisions they made with respect to the stupid Texas law and tell the reasons they had for each decision. So we can see the reality of Trumplican cancel-counter-culture purists.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Wags
Date: October 16, 2021 10:24PM
deckeda
Ugh. Some people need to be told that not all opinions have value, just because they exist. We don’t sit there having endless debate on whether or not it’s OK to mass execute civilians. As a society, some things really are settled.

Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Dresden, Hamburg. Probably good we won and got to write the history.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020