advertisement
Forums

 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Colin Powell dies of Covid
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 18, 2021 09:29AM
Just saw this. Damn.

I was kinda hoping we were past this crap.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Colin Powell dies of Covid
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 18, 2021 09:32AM
A link. Had underlying multiple myeloma, a type of blood and bone cancer. Generally incurable, but also generally manageable, especially these days.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Colin Powell dies of Covid
Posted by: Ted King
Date: October 18, 2021 11:24AM
Sorry to hear that. RIP



e pluribus unum
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Colin Powell dies of Covid
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 18, 2021 01:20PM
RIP.



Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Colin Powell dies of Covid
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 18, 2021 02:07PM
rip. He was a great family man. Love to his beloved Alma. This one got to me a little bit.











Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Colin Powell dies of Covid
Posted by: hal
Date: October 18, 2021 02:11PM
I always felt that he was a good man in a horrible situation.

Is it my imagination that the only major Republican covid deaths were Powell and Cain - two of the rare Black repub leaders?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Colin Powell dies of Covid
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 18, 2021 02:30PM
Quote
hal
I always felt that he was a good man in a horrible situation.

Is it my imagination that the only major Republican covid deaths were Powell and Cain - two of the rare Black repub leaders?

Only one was a leader. The other one literally did nothing of note.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Colin Powell dies of Covid
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 18, 2021 02:49PM
I wouldn’t call Herman Cain a leader.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Colin Powell dies of Covid
Posted by: p8712
Date: October 18, 2021 03:57PM
Powell was a great man…. Who willingly tossed his decades long admirable career into the garbage so we could invade Iraq. I do think he was a great American, and I’m sorry he died, but I have complex feelings about this one.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Colin Powell dies of Covid
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 18, 2021 04:23PM
Yeah he wasn’t perfect, no one is. I’m 1995 he wrote that as a Vietnam vet his generation would not be so quick to go to war again. Overall that worked for him until 2003, and a year later Bush got rid of him after he was no longer useful to Cheney and crew.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Colin Powell dies of Covid
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 18, 2021 04:24PM
Quote
p8712
Powell was a great man…. Who willingly tossed his decades long admirable career into the garbage so we could invade Iraq. I do think he was a great American, and I’m sorry he died, but I have complex feelings about this one.

Well, I think that was his assignment, and he was a career military man.

I mean, I agree with you - contemporaneous accounts suggest strongly he knew much of the intelligence was crap, and he could have resisted the rush to war.

But some years later, he admitted he was wrong, and said that he regretted it. How many public people have done that?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Colin Powell dies of Covid
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 18, 2021 04:28PM
Quote
pdq
Quote
p8712
Powell was a great man…. Who willingly tossed his decades long admirable career into the garbage so we could invade Iraq. I do think he was a great American, and I’m sorry he died, but I have complex feelings about this one.

Well, I think that was his assignment, and he was a career military man.

I mean, I agree with you - contemporaneous accounts suggest strongly he knew much of the intelligence was crap, and he could have resisted the rush to war.

But some years later, he admitted he was wrong, and said that he regretted it. How many public people have done that?

People understand. He's widely considered one of the great Americans.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Colin Powell dies of Covid
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: October 18, 2021 06:14PM
Who should write the next book about him?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Colin Powell dies of Covid
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 19, 2021 03:56PM
Quote
p8712
Powell was a great man…. Who willingly tossed his decades long admirable career into the garbage so we could invade Iraq. I do think he was a great American, and I’m sorry he died, but I have complex feelings about this one.

Kinda like Condoleezza Rice.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Colin Powell dies of Covid
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 20, 2021 10:27AM
Quote
deckeda
Yeah he wasn’t perfect, no one is. I’m 1995 he wrote that as a Vietnam vet his generation would not be so quick to go to war again. Overall that worked for him until 2003, and a year later Bush got rid of him after he was no longer useful to Cheney and crew.

Over the years Powell probably did more good than bad, but examples exist throughout his career of doing the politically expedient for his career over what might be considered "right".

The earliest example known is his involvement in the coverup of My Lai in Vietnam. About 6 months afterwards a letter was sent by a soldier in the 11th Infantry Brigade to Gen. Abrams that he had observed regular mistreatment of civilians and heard reports of it being common in other units of the brigade. Major Powell as assistant chief of staff and operations officer of the division was given the task of investigating the allegations. He returned a report that essentially whitewashed the incidents and did not look fully into them. His conclusion in the report was "that relations between American soldiers and the Vietnamese people are excellent."

Now there are some comments that woulhave Powell leading the coverup, his involvement contributed to it, but he did not lead that coverup. As best as can be told from the records his report was the end of his involvement, but he may have deliberately ignored rumors and not looked any deeper.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Colin Powell dies of Covid
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 22, 2021 03:53PM
“ Over the years Powell probably did more good than bad, but examples exist throughout his career of doing the politically expedient for his career over what might be considered ‘right.’” - JoeH

That’s a very good summation, I think. Also, I think within 98% of his life and career, he was exemplary. In the other 2% when he bucked up to his superiors, he kowtowed.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Colin Powell dies of Covid
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 24, 2021 02:40AM
Also, I think within 98% of his life and career, he was exemplary. In the other 2% when he bucked up to his superiors, he kowtowed.


And I believe at some point he regretted that and never stopped.





Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 121
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020