advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
FU: TRUTH Social (Already? Yes, already.)
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: October 21, 2021 10:23AM
Aaaaaannnddd it’s already getting hacked and trolled.

”… people were able to sign up to create accounts using a publicly available link, Drew Harwell, a technology reporter for The Washington Post, said on Twitter late on Wednesday.

"I literally just registered 'mikepence.' The site hasn't even launched yet and it's already this vulnerable," Harwell added. In a subsequent tweet, he revealed that account had been suspended.

In another tweet, Harwell said it appeared the "donaldjtrump" account on Truth Social had been hacked. A screenshot Harwell shared showed the pinned post on the account was of a defecating animal.”

But does it have that Trump trademark complete lack of self awareness? You bet’cha.

”When signing up to TRUTH Social, users must agree not to "upload or transmit (or attempt to upload or to transmit) viruses, Trojan horses, or other material, including excessive use of capital letters ….”

“… TRUTH Social's terms also contain some sections in all-caps.”

“… Users will also have to agree not to "disparage, tarnish, or otherwise harm, in our opinion, us and/or the Site.”

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FU: TRUTH Social (Already? Yes, already.)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 21, 2021 10:56AM
Gosh, being unable to criticize the site sounds a little like “censorship,” yeah? Imagine if someone got purged from say, FB or Twitter for just any random reason?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 21, 2021 11:13AM
Western civilization takes another step toward the abyss.

It is what it is.
Posted by: p8712
Date: October 21, 2021 11:31AM
TRump Unable To Help
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 21, 2021 11:53AM
You can’t handle the truth.
Date: October 21, 2021 12:14PM
btfc
You can’t handle the truth.
Please consult the TRUTH Social STYLE Manual before future posts.
“You CAN’T handle THE truth.”

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 21, 2021 01:33PM
Why Trump’s pathetic social media platform is probably doomed

some good points here...

This is just the latest of many recent attempts to create a Trumpist Twitter, all supposedly devoted to free speech. There was Gab, then Parler, then Gettr — none of which exactly set the world on fire — and now Truth Social.

The problem the first two encountered, and this one will as well, is that a safe space where they can converse free of engagement with liberals isn’t just not what devoted Trumpists want. It’s the opposite of what they want.

As a political style, Trumpism isn’t about avoiding the libs, it’s about triggering the libs, owning the libs, enraging the libs. If you’re a liberal, have you ever found your blood boiling because of something someone said on Parler? Of course not, because you’ve never even heard about anything anyone said on Parler. It might as well be a social media platform on Mars.

That highlights the essence of Trump’s success on Twitter: He wielded so much influence there because that’s where the journalists are, and they provided the conduit for Trump to speak to a broad audience.

Political reporters are obsessed with Twitter. So every time Trump launched some offensive new tweet, the reporters were bound to see it, amplify it and write stories about it in their own publications, which enabled Trump to dominate the mainstream political conversation. It was the engagement with the mainstream that created the conflict that fueled Trump’s rise.

So who are Trump’s potential customers? His most devoted political supporters, who can be lured in with the promise of participating in the project of Trumpism, then be targeted with ads for MyPillow, gold coins or whatever other bottom-feeding enterprises can be persuaded to advertise on Truth Social.

But there’s only so much revenue to be had from those sources. And after an initial wave of loyalists signing up for Truth Social, the number of subscribers will probably wither away. Sooner or later, they will probably realize that yelling about liberals who have no idea you exist isn’t nearly as much fun as yelling *at* liberals.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: October 21, 2021 02:13PM
hal
Why Trump’s pathetic social media platform is probably doomed

some good points here...

This is just the latest of many recent attempts to create a Trumpist Twitter, all supposedly devoted to free speech. There was Gab, then Parler, then Gettr — none of which exactly set the world on fire — and now Truth Social.

The problem the first two encountered, and this one will as well, is that a safe space where they can converse free of engagement with liberals isn’t just not what devoted Trumpists want. It’s the opposite of what they want.

As a political style, Trumpism isn’t about avoiding the libs, it’s about triggering the libs, owning the libs, enraging the libs. If you’re a liberal, have you ever found your blood boiling because of something someone said on Parler? Of course not, because you’ve never even heard about anything anyone said on Parler. It might as well be a social media platform on Mars.

That highlights the essence of Trump’s success on Twitter: He wielded so much influence there because that’s where the journalists are, and they provided the conduit for Trump to speak to a broad audience.

Political reporters are obsessed with Twitter. So every time Trump launched some offensive new tweet, the reporters were bound to see it, amplify it and write stories about it in their own publications, which enabled Trump to dominate the mainstream political conversation. It was the engagement with the mainstream that created the conflict that fueled Trump’s rise.

So who are Trump’s potential customers? His most devoted political supporters, who can be lured in with the promise of participating in the project of Trumpism, then be targeted with ads for MyPillow, gold coins or whatever other bottom-feeding enterprises can be persuaded to advertise on Truth Social.

But there’s only so much revenue to be had from those sources. And after an initial wave of loyalists signing up for Truth Social, the number of subscribers will probably wither away. Sooner or later, they will probably realize that yelling about liberals who have no idea you exist isn’t nearly as much fun as yelling *at* liberals.

That's likely mostly accurate. Thanks for sharing.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 21, 2021 02:13PM
"Truth" was a name of the official Soviet communist newspaper: PRAVDA
Posted by: hal
Date: October 21, 2021 02:22PM
Steve G.

great connection... I didn't put that together...
Date: October 21, 2021 05:10PM
Steve G.

True story.

Pravda (the truth) was the main communist newspaper and “Izvestia” (the news) was the main Soviet state organ newspaper. The saying in Russia at the time translated to, “There is no Pravda in Izvestia, and there is no Izvestia in Pravada.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2021 05:11PM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: davester
Date: October 22, 2021 07:50PM
deckeda
Gosh, being unable to criticize the site sounds a little like “censorship,” yeah?

It's not called censorship, it's called "cancel culture".

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020