advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Do we buckle under and appease the none Vacciners?
Posted by: samintx
Date: October 23, 2021 10:35AM
Thousands will be terminated Dec 7 because they refuse to get vaccinated at the work place. Do the vaccinated give in and say “ok, you win”. Is testing a solution?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2021 10:38AM by samintx.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do we buckle under and appease the none Vacciners?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 23, 2021 10:42AM
We require that they behave like part of a society.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 23, 2021 10:43AM
@#$%& no.

Don't make a threat you can't follow through on.

Also, more specifics might be helpful. Dec 7th doesn't have any meaning to me.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 23, 2021 10:43AM
Mandates seem to be working.

Waiting in line for my booster yesterday, half the people there were getting their first shot because they needed it for work.

Posted by: Spock
Date: October 23, 2021 10:49AM
No, the unvaxed have the freedom they ask for, freedom of choice. Vax and work or no vax and no work, simple.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: October 23, 2021 11:11AM
Spock
No, the unvaxed have the freedom they ask for, freedom of choice. Vax and work or no vax and no work, simple.

It really is that simple. Not just no...Hell No.
Posted by: p8712
Date: October 23, 2021 11:33AM
Nope.

You’re free not to wear pants in public, and free to suffer whatever consequences come from that. Same with getting a shot.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 23, 2021 12:25PM
p8712
You’re free not to wear pants in public, and free to suffer whatever consequences come from that. Same with getting a shot.
I equate it with DUI. You are free to drink, but not endanger others with your vehicle!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 23, 2021 02:12PM
And i just spit out my Sprite, mostly through the nose....

Rolando
p8712
I equate it with DUI. You are free to drink, but not endanger others with your vehicle!

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Ted King
Date: October 23, 2021 02:54PM
A vaccine mandate to keep a job makes me uncomfortable because - even if their feelings about the vaccines are misplaced - this is governments and businesses telling someone they have to inject a substance they don't want in their body into their body to be able to keep their jobs. It's really intrusive. We should not coerce someone that way unless it is really important. I do think the Covid pandemic is important enough to justify the coercion, but I just don't like that we need to intrude so personally. I also don't like, though, that because of their failure to see the empirical evidence and/or lack of concern for the safety of their fellow citizens that we are placed in a position of being so coercive.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 23, 2021 02:55PM
anonymouse1
We require that they behave like part of a society.

This.

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 23, 2021 03:25PM
Ted King
A vaccine mandate to keep a job makes me uncomfortable because - even if their feelings about the vaccines are misplaced - this is governments and businesses telling someone they have to inject a substance they don't want in their body into their body to be able to keep their jobs. It's really intrusive. We should not coerce someone that way unless it is really important. I do think the Covid pandemic is important enough to justify the coercion, but I just don't like that we need to intrude so personally. I also don't like, though, that because of their failure to see the empirical evidence and/or lack of concern for the safety of their fellow citizens that we are placed in a position of being so coercive.

Ted,

There is a half-century's precedence of the government engaging in exactly this type of behavior. You, me - pretty much everybody on this forum was required to be vaccinated against any number of diseases before being allowed to attend public school... a requirement that stands to this day. That requirement was - and is - based on doing what was - and is - in the best interest of public health as a whole. How is this any different?

We are approaching the second anniversary of the start of the pandemic and the first anniversary of the vaccine's availability. After an entire year, there are still enough holdouts against vaccination that we remain unable to get a handle on this thing. How long do you allow that behavior to continue? How long do you permit the interests of a selfish few to outweigh the benefit to society as a whole?

I believe the anti-vaxxers have had more than sufficient time to do the right thing. That they haven't after an entire year and more than 700,000 dead indicates that, left to their own devices, they never will. A year ago, this course of action may have rightly been considered improper or overbearing; today, it absolutely isn't.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2021 03:49PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 23, 2021 03:47PM
Ted King
this is governments and businesses telling someone they have to inject a substance they don't want in their body into their body to be able to keep their jobs. It's really intrusive.

Most of the debates we have about freedoms discuss it in absolute terms but there are tradeoffs to almost all freedoms. We will come to better conclusions the more we recognize the tradeoffs and complexities. In many places we'd come to the same conclusion, others might be very different.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 23, 2021 06:45PM
What concerns me are the places that are advertising for the unvaxxed to come work for them. It means there will be real-life concentrations of these morons, likely to be even more dangerous than online meal-team six warriors...

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Randalls
Date: October 23, 2021 07:08PM
News sources in Indiana reporting on local law enforcement recruiting police officers from Illinois as Indiana has no forced vaccinations.
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 23, 2021 07:55PM
Randalls
News sources in Indiana reporting on local law enforcement recruiting police officers from Illinois as Indiana has no forced vaccinations.

They can have them.
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 24, 2021 12:05AM
Unless someone is a vaccine junkie, NOBODY wants to be vaccinated for anything ever. We do it because it's the safe thing to do.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 24, 2021 01:02AM
Ted King

As already mentioned, vaccinations have been required for many years.

But a big part of the reason we have to mandate the Covid-19 vaccine is because of all the politicization and misinformation / disinformation. If it weren't for that, the majority of people would have wanted to get the Covid-19 vaccine.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 24, 2021 02:32AM
But a big part of the reason we have to mandate the Covid-19 vaccine is because of all the politicization and misinformation / disinformation. If it weren't for that, the majority of people would have wanted to get the Covid-19 vaccine.

Bolding AllGold's post, I'll add a possible overwhelming majority.

How much pushback was there for polio, whooping cough, typhus, smallpox, diphtheria, tetnus, et al., vaccinations when they were required.

And several inoculations are still required when traveling to some countries.

Do dissenters cry 'Mah freedumbs!' for that?

Sure there were always some who maintained 'Vaccinations?! Not in my body!'

But they were generally against all vaccinations, as well as blood transfusions, etc, for religious reasons or bare fear.

The refusal of COVID shots is a whole new level.

So no vaccination, no job, see ya.

It's really disappointing that police and healthcare workers in general (and just about everybody else) pick such a small, preventable molehill to die on, making it a mountain for everybody.

Or more pointedly, that they allow themselves to be talking into doing so by people who are probably fully vaccinated.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: October 24, 2021 07:59AM
pdq
Randalls

They can have them.

And there goes any integrity Indiana law enforcement might have had.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 24, 2021 08:58AM
RAMd®d

How much pushback was there for polio, whooping cough, typhus, smallpox, diphtheria, tetnus, et al., vaccinations when they were required.

Sure there were always some who maintained 'Vaccinations?! Not in my body!'

But they were generally against all vaccinations, as well as blood transfusions, etc, for religious reasons or bare fear.

For the record, there have been SPECIFIC anti-vaccine movements since there were inoculations; back to the 1700s:

[i0.wp.com]

[cdn.theatlantic.com]

[collegeofphysicians.org]

[becker.wustl.edu]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2021 08:59AM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 24, 2021 09:13AM
For the record, too - I’ve met several anti-vaxxers, and they were all the ‘ambivalent’ type. I’ll get around to it, etc. None flaming irrational who think this is a bill gates chip conspiracy theory. The latter DO exist, I’ve just not met anyone who admitted it to me.

The former just need the nudge.

The latter? They need to be reprogrammed. Not sure how.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 24, 2021 09:31AM
Markintosh
And i just spit out my Sprite, mostly through the nose....

Rolando
p8712

Were you wearing your mask?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 24, 2021 09:33AM
The very concept of Public Health is that there is a higher freedom being engaged. Freedom of Life comes first. And private companies need to ensure the health of their workers, and are free to do so.

My company, for example, has forbidden smoking on the property for 40 years. Have a lit cigarette/ active vape/ whatever ? Instant 2 weeks unpaid suspension, loss of a significant chunk of your year end bonus (which is a significant chunk of change). Second offense is immediate termination.

While the company is not requiring vaccination, anyone not vaccinated must wear a mask at all times and stay 6 feet away from everyone else.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 24, 2021 12:34PM

local residents watch protest parade of anti-vaxx trump supporters

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2021 12:43PM by Steve G..
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 24, 2021 12:48PM

haven't noticed any side effects from my shots--except the one
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 24, 2021 07:21PM
What has saved America from the capricious escapades of Donald Trump was good old American Bureaucracy.

Bureaucracy. Red Tape.

A president can only appoint a handful of leaders, lay-leaders in his administration. That means a ton of what he wanted to tear down, he couldn't because of the bureaucracy.

The FDA is a crapload of Federal workers doing the same job they do everyday.

THAT MEANS, vaccines would have been perfectly safe under a Trump administration.

You think Ben Carson was successful in his determined attempt to destroy Fair and Affordable housing???? He tried his best to end Obama's fair housing regulations.

Trump had 4 budget requests and each time Carson tried to stop dozens of HUD programs altogether. Congress blocked it all 4 times. This punkass tried to stop housing vouchers for veterans. Even Republicans couldn't go for that.

He made dozens and dozens of attempts to roll back protections. Equal Access rules to keep Transgendered people from being turned away at shelters. Denying immigrants access.

Bureaucracy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2021 07:22PM by vision63.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 25, 2021 04:04PM
samintx
Thousands will be terminated Dec 7 because they refuse to get vaccinated at the work place. Do the vaccinated give in and say “ok, you win”. Is testing a solution?

Thousands here is a very small percentage...e.g. well under 1% at the various hospital-based local health systems.

They are free to seek employment at another health system, if they can find one that doesn't;t require vaccination for front-line employees with direct patient contact...good luck w/o relocating.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020