advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Sadness-dear friend falling into conspiracy theory
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 29, 2021 11:41PM
Sigh.

A dear friend, whom I respect, recently sent a link to a conspiracy video (these three companies run the world! These two financial companies own everything! Monopolies! Gates! Clinton! Soros! Pharmaceutical companies! We must overthrow them!).

This is someone who is part of a community I'm deeply connected to, and a person whom I respect a lot and care for and about a lot.

I responded in a supportive and non-judgmental way, as best I could ('Thanks for sharing this. I don't agree with all of it, and parts were interesting and stuff I hadn't heard before.").

I'm not looking for advice; maybe a little consolation--mostly I want to vent. I feel overwhelmed in dealing with this. I know I'm strong enough to do it, but it feels so daunting, and like another burden I don't want.

And it's enormously uplifting for me to have this forum where I can just be open about this stuff. Thanks, y'all.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sadness-dear friend falling into conspiracy theory
Posted by: Forrest
Date: October 29, 2021 11:55PM
Step 1 - delete Facebook account.
Step 2 - never go to Facebook
Step 3 - there is no step 3 startrek 2
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 30, 2021 12:10AM
You did better than I might have.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 30, 2021 05:05AM
I ran into a friend this week that I had not seen in several years. As we caught up, she started spouting conspiracy rhetoric. I suddenly had to move along.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: October 30, 2021 06:41AM
These last several years the political climate has shown sides of people that I had no idea were there.
Many just get some information and then fill in the blanks. I 'discovered several friends scattered around the country that have very strong feelings in certain areas that started bubbling over spewing out nonsense.
Now more than ever, I try to steer conversations away from politics, religion, and work.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: DP
Date: October 30, 2021 07:00AM
Well, that's every day with my S-and BILs...

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2021 07:41AM by DP.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: October 30, 2021 08:31AM
i have a very long-time friend who lives on the opposite coast.

we speak, 4-5x a year.

i have known him since he was 11 and me 10.

i have stayed in touch with him for now. 50+ years.

sadly, he too has fallen under the sway of right wing media and demigods spewing hate and antidemocratic values.

and my friend references the crazy talk in our phone conversations.

and i am saddened by it.

so i find myself calling less.

and that also saddens me.

iiwii

stay well.

rob
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 30, 2021 09:23AM
anonymouse1
This is someone who is part of a community I'm deeply connected to...

Religious "community" perhaps? Just curious.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 30, 2021 10:00AM
anonymouse1
Sigh.

A dear friend, whom I respect, recently sent a link to a conspiracy video (these three companies run the world! These two financial companies own everything! Monopolies! Gates! Clinton! Soros! Pharmaceutical companies! We must overthrow them!).

This is someone who is part of a community I'm deeply connected to, and a person whom I respect a lot and care for and about a lot.

I responded in a supportive and non-judgmental way, as best I could ('Thanks for sharing this. I don't agree with all of it, and parts were interesting and stuff I hadn't heard before.").

I'm not looking for advice; maybe a little consolation--mostly I want to vent. I feel overwhelmed in dealing with this. I know I'm strong enough to do it, but it feels so daunting, and like another burden I don't want.

And it's enormously uplifting for me to have this forum where I can just be open about this stuff. Thanks, y'all.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Not sure what to tell you because I am seeing some people on social media that I have known for a long time make drastic shifts in their belief, logic, and reasoning. All of them seem to parrot the same theme indicating there is some exclusive hidden information that they are now privy to that other people just can't figure out. It makes them feel smarter or more knowledgeable? It used to happen to less educated people on my feed by in the last few years it has crept into college educated people, some with advanced degrees. The "evidence" they post to prove their new found knowledge is at best, flimsy. Unfortunately with the current situation in the world health-wise, this new found enlightenment can result in serious illness or death.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2021 10:11AM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: chopper
Date: October 30, 2021 10:01AM
That's funny I have several former dear friends who deeply believe a line of crap spewed by left wing media. I talk to them a lot less now. By choice.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 30, 2021 10:02AM
It's hard to wean people away from that sort of irrational quagmire. I wouldn't know what to suggest. What do you say to someone who thinks, for example, that secret Jewish space lasers funded by the Rothschilds are causing wildfires?

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Date: October 30, 2021 10:19AM
Ok.

chopper
That's funny I have several former dear friends who deeply believe a line of crap spewed by left wing media. I talk to them a lot less now. By choice.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 30, 2021 10:23AM
A recent acquaintance had been recently posting a barrage of conspiratorial memes with no evidence or original thought. I don't respond because the person has gone too far down the rabbit hole. The person recently posted asking, "Feel like (social media platform) is censoring me. Reply if you can see my postings" I wanted to reply, "Just because no one is replying to your senseless parroting of conspiracy memes, doesn't mean you are being censored by ________." It's sad to see this person living in extreme fear and paranoia. I often wonder if some of these parroters are hooked to the dopamine rush of seeing other people giving them a Like on social media.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 30, 2021 10:29AM
We all know that sizeable numbers of people believed in all sorts of wild fictions before the internet.

How did you explain it before?
Date: October 30, 2021 10:43AM
from this Associated press story=>[apnews.com]

The biggest difference, though, between the sentiments hurled at the Grover Clevelands of yore and modern politicians is the amplification they get on social media.

“Before the expansion of social media a few years ago, there wasn’t an easily accessible public forum to shout your nastiest and darkest public opinions,” said Matthew Delmont, a history professor at Dartmouth College.

Even the racism and vitriol to which former President Barack Obama was subjected was tempered in part because Twitter was relatively new. There was no TikTok. As for Facebook, leaked company documents have recently revealed how the platform increasingly ignored hate speech and misinformation and allowed it to proliferate.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: October 30, 2021 11:22AM
Very sad the lengths some conspiracists are willing to go with their crazy ideas. My Trumpist BIL now very ill with COVID.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Date: October 30, 2021 11:33AM
Yeah, the vet I took my dog to yesterday said her 19 years old student daughter has had covid, had the shots, had the updates. Guess WHAT? She's in the hospital with COVID.
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 30, 2021 11:49AM
chopper
Yeah, the vet I took my dog to yesterday said her 19 years old student daughter has had covid, had the shots, had the updates. Guess WHAT? She's in the hospital with COVID.

That proves it!!!!!
Date: October 30, 2021 12:11PM
unfortunately, a single anecdote does not further the discussion of a problem currently affecting BILLIONS of people.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: October 30, 2021 12:48PM
chopper

Most of the conservatives have either left the forum or just don't post any more.
MY BODY MY CHOICE is enough to move this post to the naughty side.

That is my rant and I am sticking to it.

old fogey smiley

Staunton, Virginia
Date: October 30, 2021 12:57PM
chopper

Since this thread probably did belong on the other side from the start…

chopper
Pres. Trump will easily be re-elected. Did you not see the last election? Nothing has changed.

chopper
This is true pie in the sky stuff. Biden is not going to get elected.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 30, 2021 01:40PM
chopper

I'd love to hear what that is!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 30, 2021 02:10PM
anonymouse1, find a way to step away from anything that seems overwhelming. If that's social media go somewhere else. If it's a local organization or group setting be unavailable for awhile. Come back and revisit later, perhaps.
Date: October 30, 2021 03:44PM
I left FB at least years ago because I could see it was a tool for either side to spew a bunch of words.
Date: October 30, 2021 03:48PM
Correct. He did get re-elected right up until they stole the election.

Also, it's epic to see someone actually spend time to go back thru my posts and dig @#$%& out. On a nice Saturday.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 30, 2021 05:52PM
robfilms
i have a very long-time friend who lives on the opposite coast.

we speak, 4-5x a year.

i have known him since he was 11 and me 10.

i have stayed in touch with him for now. 50+ years.

sadly, he too has fallen under the sway of right wing media and demigods spewing hate and antidemocratic values.

and my friend references the crazy talk in our phone conversations.

and i am saddened by it.

so i find myself calling less.

and that also saddens me.

iiwii

stay well.

rob

I have a very similar situation, except I was 10, he was 9 and he now lives just a mile or so down the road.

Growing up, we were next door neighbors and best friends. Both academics, we spent countless hours pondering the mysteries of the universe together. We enjoyed conversing with one another so much, we actually tried to make a tin-can-and-string telephone between our bedrooms. We spent many summer nights "camping out" in a tent in either his back yard or mine. We discovered the joys of listening to Dr. Demento together. Throughout our school years, we were in all the same classes and clubs together, played the same sports together and double-dated often. We were even roommates for a while during our college years. He was the person I felt was most like me in the entire world and whose judgement I trusted implicitly.

In recent years, it has become clear he has fallen under the thrall of various conspiracy theories. We are still good friends, but there are now topics of conversation that are clearly to be avoided — something that was never the case before and that saddens me greatly.

It is what it is.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2021 06:04PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 30, 2021 06:02PM
Bernie
chopper

Most of the conservatives have either left the forum or just don't post any more.
MY BODY MY CHOICE is enough to move this post to the naughty side.

That is my rant and I am sticking to it.

old fogey smiley

Until recently, I never distinguished between conservatives and liberals on the forum - truthfully, I could barely identify either as such.

It is what it is.
Date: October 30, 2021 07:23PM
chopper

Also, it's epic to see someone actually spend time to go back thru my posts and dig @#$%& out. On a nice Saturday.

It’s actually quite easy and quick. It can be very revelatory.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 30, 2021 08:15PM
Thanks for sharing this. I don't agree with all of it, and parts were interesting and stuff I hadn't heard before.

That's extremely diplomatic, and enabling, as in giving tacit approval.

I would have tried to be somewhat diplomatic, but I would also try to correct aberrant thinking, while there might still be a chance.

Since this is going to get kicked:

Wow, brilliant example of critical thinking.

Is that your idea of a line of line of crap spewed by left wing media?

You do know there's a whole lot more of unvaccinated people with COVID clogging hospitals than there are fully vaccinated people with COVID.

You know that right, or is that more crap spewed by left wing media?

They didn't get vaccinated out of rank stupidity or — by choice.

And look were it got them.

The good news, as mentioned by a representative of a hospital that has no room at the ICU because it's overflowing with COVID patients who chose to refuse vaccination — beds will free up when they die.

So believe in that right-wing media trying to kill a large portion of society and all of democracy, and belly up to the bar for a tall cold one of Ivermectin and I hydroxychloroquine.

I'm buyin'.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2021 08:16PM by RAMd®d.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: October 30, 2021 09:24PM
chopper

Yep, proof positive that the vaccines are fake and their only purpose is to inject a microchip into you.

A black helicopter flew over my house yesterday…and System 6.0.8 was the best OS Apple ever made.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 30, 2021 09:44PM
Article Accelerator
chopper

Yep, proof positive that the vaccines are fake and their only purpose is to inject a microchip into you.

A black helicopter flew over my house yesterday…and System 6.0.8 was the best OS Apple ever made.

I thought it was 8.6 and 10.6.8.

Coincidence? I think not!!!
Date: October 30, 2021 09:53PM
Ok, Mods, I started this thread. Please move it over to The Other Side.

Thanks!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 01, 2021 12:34AM
Ok, Mods, I started this thread. Please move it over to The Other Side.

You make first post, but you had no hand in pushing the yoke and sending the thread into a nose dive.

I'll fess up, I did know which side this post was on, and ignored it.

I let outrage take the stick.

Apologies.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 02, 2021 02:21AM
chopper

Wait, what? is that /s?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 03, 2021 02:01PM
jdc
chopper

Wait, what? is that /s?

Deleted post?

Seems a non-sequitur.
Date: November 03, 2021 02:14PM
Lux Interior
jdc
chopper

Wait, what? is that /s?

Deleted post?

Seems a non-sequitur.

It's chopper's reply to my post [forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 03, 2021 02:36PM
Ah, I see. In that case, conservatives have not left the forum, only nutcases.

There are at least two conservatives who regularly post who know Trump lost the election.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 130
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020