advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Musk offers $6 billion combat hunger after UN challenge
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 01, 2021 02:47PM
Elon Musk has offered to sell some of his Tesla (TSLA) stock "right now" if the UN can prove that $6 billion will solve world hunger.
His comments came after UN World Food Programme (WFP) director David Beasley challenged the ultra-wealth to "step up now, on a one-time basis" to help solve world hunger by donating $6 billion dollars, an amount equal to 2% of Musks wealth.
Posting on Twitter on Sunday, the Tesla chief executive said: "If WFP can describe on this Twitter thread exactly how $6 billion will solve world hunger, I will sell Tesla stock right now and do it."
As of Monday, Musk had a net worth of $311 billion, according to Bloomberg's Billionaire Index, making him the richest man in the world.

Even if Beasley understated the amount needed to solve world hunger (and $6 billion seems rather low considering the WIC program costs the US $5 billion every year), I hope Musk still makes the donation as it will still make a huge impact in places underserved. It may also guilt-trip some of the world's ultra-wealthy to step forward as well.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Musk offers $6 billion combat hunger after UN challenge
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 01, 2021 03:29PM
As if the solution to world hunger could be defined in a twitter thread.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 01, 2021 05:42PM
As if they could "solve" world hunger at all.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 01, 2021 07:53PM
Musk was trying to make a point - and was open to learning.

I find it absurd to think that anyone in a top position of power could think that 0.02865% of the US 2020 GDP would 'solve' world hunger.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 01, 2021 08:00PM
vision63
As if they could "solve" world hunger at all.

This.
I don’t mean we shouldn’t try to do as much as we can but, the idea that hunger, poverty, injustice can be solved, is not realistic. The best we can hope for is to make life better for as many people as possible, but there will always be hunger, poverty, injustice. It is part of the human condition
We are trying our best, as a species, to self-annihilate, with global warming and other ecological atrocities. We are probably on an irreversible course. I might not live long enough to see it get to the point where everyone realizes we are screwed.
Will a technological Hail Mary come along, maybe, but I am not holding my breath. Guess I have seen too many apocalyptic ScFi movies. sad smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 01, 2021 09:30PM
"If WFP can describe on this Twitter thread exactly how $6 billion will solve world hunger..."

In that particular quote Musk is playing a rhetorical game - Beasely never said $6 billion would solve world hunger.

[news.yahoo.com]

He [Beasely] also clarified that the UN World Food Programme had never said $6 billion would "solve world hunger," which is the wording Musk used on Twitter. "This is a one-time donation to save 42 million lives during this unprecedented hunger crisis," he tweeted.

Unfortunately, there is a LOT of sloppy reporting going on about this that takes Musk's "solve" word and frame it as though it came out of Beasely's mouth.

Beneath that BS there does seem to be a potential real commitment from Musk to spend the money if they can show that it would save tens of millions of people from dying. Hopefully they can get past the rhetorical game playing and make something beneficial happen.

e pluribus unum

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2021 09:33PM by Ted King.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 02, 2021 02:23AM
Ted King
Beneath that BS there does seem to be a potential real commitment from Musk to spend the money if they can show that it would save tens of millions of people from dying. Hopefully they can get past the rhetorical game playing and make something beneficial happen.

Musk is severely socially deficit on top of obvious Asperger’s.

I’m sure that the offer is genuine. And I’m also sure that if he is not presented with a concise solution to world hunger he will not give one single penny to the cause.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 02, 2021 12:47PM
It's the same logic that says if you plant a billion trees you solve climate change.
I mean, yeah, it would help. But it ain't magic.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 02, 2021 05:21PM
I have no trouble reading 'Musk'.

It's this board that is being pedantic.

The Gates Foundation has been working on world hunger and related issues for decades now. $6B is well within their financial scope and goals that if it were that easy to help 10 million people, it would have been done already.

My wish is that all of this attention can be put to good use, and that whatever Musk offers in terms of $$, that it gets used wisely (and ideally matched 10x).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020