advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Trumpcare just saved me $1500
Posted by: Mr645
Date: November 06, 2021 04:21PM
Wife was in for knee pain and was prescribed an injection, a series of 3 injections. After going over the cost, what insurance covers, we scheduled the injections and a month later receive a bill for $1,500. Seems we were never told about the cost for the medication in the actual injections. Under a law Trump signed, since they did not disclose the cost when requested prior to treatment, they cannot bill for these costs. The providers reviewed their own recorded calls discussing the costs and determined they cannot legally charge the $1500.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Trumpcare just saved me $1500
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 06, 2021 05:45PM
Did they really record the call? do they record all calls? Did they inform you about the call being recorded?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 06, 2021 06:13PM
Has two weeks sped by so soon?
Posted by: Mr645
Date: November 06, 2021 07:14PM
"All calls may be recorded for training purposes".

We called to complain about the bill, they said they would review they did and based on the recording they have, we were not told about the $1,500 fee for the medication
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 06, 2021 07:40PM
Ummm…this “Trumpcare law”?

The No Surprises Act — which takes effect Jan. 1 — generally forbids insurers from dropping such bills on patients and, instead, requires health care providers and insurers to work out a deal between themselves.

…The reason, said Katie Keith, a research faculty member at the Center on Health Insurance Reforms at Georgetown University, is that a new rule released Sept. 30 by the Biden administration appears to "put a thumb on the scale" to discourage settlements at amounts higher than most insurers generally pay for in-network care.

Thank you, Brandon!
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 07, 2021 12:06AM
Mr645
"All calls may be recorded for training purposes".

Also "This call may be recorded for quality assurance purposes".

Friend of mine works for investment banks, all of the work phones are recorded.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 07, 2021 10:06AM
I had missed this new law and Exec Order. Certainly needed as the issue has been long-standing. I remember being hit with thousands of dollars of 'submarine' bills for the birth of our first child (which was a long labor but no major complications), even when we supposedly had top health insurance. If this law had been in effect, we are talking $3k or more from the mid-90s (so closer to $6k in 2021 dollars). That was a terrible zeroth birthday present from our hospital (and back when we had no money, so it just went onto our credit cards and not paid off for years).

In terms of internet traffic and monitoring: I assume all of my work email, calls and internet traffic are being monitored and potentially recorded. Including any/all posts here.

But since I never try to represent my place of work here, I also assume it's clear any/all comments I make are solely my personal opinions.

And why I own personal computers and devices where I have full admin control.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 07, 2021 11:27AM
The problem still remains it’s up to the consumer to know what to ask.

“What kind of unknown charges might I see and what will they cost?” … It doesn’t sound reasonable to me.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 07, 2021 11:51AM
deckeda

“What kind of unknown charges might I see and what will they cost?” … It doesn’t sound reasonable to me.

What, and often who to ask. I have had surprise bills for health care related charges even after asking, turns out I asked the wrong person.
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 07, 2021 01:08PM
Normally, when a business sends you an invoice for goods and services you did not explicitly agree to it's called "mail fraud."
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 07, 2021 02:09PM
Acer
Normally, when a business sends you an invoice for goods and services you did not explicitly agree to it's called "mail fraud."

Yeah, but buried in the fine print of the notices many doctor, dentist and other health care office have you sign are agreements to pay for services required to treat you. That is enough to keep it out of the mail fraud category.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 07, 2021 02:46PM
JoeH
deckeda

What, and often who to ask. I have had surprise bills for health care related charges even after asking, turns out I asked the wrong person.

My hospital makes me sit down with a billing rep before a procedure to sign off on all expected charges and confirm my insurance info.

...And even that didn't help when they made a last-minute substitution for the anesthesiologist. The billing agent actually said that they were doing me a favor by charging me the "insured" rate of about $1900 vs the >$10k it would have cost me out of pocket for an out of network physician, and I guess they were.

As far as health care goes, we're below most third-world nations. This ain't even a joke. We're behind Cambodia in most stats. And this deficient health care system is more expensive than that of any other nation in the world.

Date: November 07, 2021 02:50PM
Rich people can and should self/insure. Tell a hospital you don’t have insurance and the fee magically goes down. They know the vast majority can’t personally fund that scenario.
Date: November 07, 2021 02:54PM
Correction: most providers will not even schedule an appointment with insurance.

Imagine if home or auto repair industries worked that way.
Posted by: kj
Date: November 07, 2021 04:09PM
JoeH
Acer

Yeah, but buried in the fine print of the notices many doctor, dentist and other health care office have you sign are agreements to pay for services required to treat you. That is enough to keep it out of the mail fraud category.

Oh yeah, they make a big-arse deal out of making you sign something that says you will pay any expenses that aren't covered by insurance. "You should have X". "Will insurance cover it?" "I don't know it always has before." And then it doesn't. And they know it won't.

Honestly, it's been like ten years since I read a long article somewhere about trying to find out what hospitals charge for things, how they determine what people are charged etc. It seems like a very basic thing to have a document with the fees for procedures, supplies, etc. that everyone can look at, but if it exists, I haven't seen it yet. My feeling is they just try to get the most they can, period. Setting a fee would impose an artificial ceiling.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 07, 2021 05:13PM
All calls may be recorded for training purposes".

"This call may be recorded for quality assurance purposes".

As does sekker, I assume anything may be recorded at anytime, with or without my knowledge and attempt to act accordingly.

(I'm talkin' 'bout you, Alexa and Siri!)

The nice thing about the two and similar admonishments, is that they allow me to record a phone conversation without me making any similar notification, though I've never felt compelled to record.

I wonder if that's ever come back to bite somebody on their corporate behind.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 07, 2021 05:15PM
kj
Honestly, it's been like ten years since I read a long article somewhere about trying to find out what hospitals charge for things, how they determine what people are charged etc. It seems like a very basic thing to have a document with the fees for procedures, supplies, etc. that everyone can look at, but if it exists, I haven't seen it yet. My feeling is they just try to get the most they can, period. Setting a fee would impose an artificial ceiling.

Federal requires most hospitals to disclose their standard rates.

So, they dump several hundred thousand lines into a spreadsheet, obscured by the use of codes instead of names for procedures, and post this several-GB file on an obscure website with no-index rules to keep Google from finding it, and then they report that they conform with the law.

In 2021, they are now required to publish the rates they charge insurance companies.

They're doing it the same way.

Posted by: kj
Date: November 07, 2021 06:28PM
Sarcany
kj

Federal requires most hospitals to disclose their standard rates.

So, they dump several hundred thousand lines into a spreadsheet, obscured by the use of codes instead of names for procedures, and post this several-GB file on an obscure website with no-index rules to keep Google from finding it, and then they report that they conform with the law.

In 2021, they are now required to publish the rates they charge insurance companies.

They're doing it the same way.

That was covered in several articles, but I think they had examples of people being charged hugely different rates for the same things. It seems they wrote the rates down in an obscure document and still charge whatever they want. I mean, their not standard rates if they aren't standard.
Date: November 07, 2021 09:22PM
deckeda
Correction: most providers will not even schedule an appointment with insurance.

Imagine if home or auto repair industries worked that way.

*without

Thx deux anonymous
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 08, 2021 02:37PM
I'm surprised Mr45 hasn't come back to call all of the fake news.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 146
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020