advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Trump White House records can be turned over to House Jan. 6 investigative committee, judge rules"
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 09, 2021 09:32PM

A federal judge in Washington ruled late Tuesday that hundreds of pages of Trump White House records can be turned over to a congressional committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol despite the former president’s objections.

The decision by U.S. District Judge Tanya S. Chutkan clears the way for the release of government records requested by Congress beginning Friday. Attorneys for Trump immediately appealed and moved to bar release of the documents by the National Archives pending a ruling by the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Trump White House records can be turned over to House Jan. 6 investigative committee, judge rules"
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 09, 2021 09:49PM
Judge Chutkan

Mr. Trump “does not acknowledge the deference owed to the incumbent president’s judgment. His position that he may override the express will of the executive branch appears to be premised on the notion that his executive power ‘exists in perpetuity,’” Judge Chutkan wrote. “But presidents are not kings, and plaintiff is not president.”

emoticon_love
Re: "Trump White House records can be turned over to House Jan. 6 investigative committee, judge rules"
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 09, 2021 10:14PM
And he will appeal. Nothing will be decided until after the next Congress is seated and we know who will be in the majority then.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: steve...
Date: November 09, 2021 10:16PM
Heard on the TV tonight that if the Court of Appeals doesn’t respond to 45’s appeal by Friday, the records WILL BE TURNED OVER to the Select Committee.

thumbs up

Northern California Coast
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 09, 2021 10:41PM
Mr. Trump “does not acknowledge the deference owed to the incumbent president’s judgment. His position that he may override the express will of the executive branch appears to be premised on the notion that his executive power ‘exists in perpetuity,’” Judge Chutkan wrote. “But presidents are not kings, and plaintiff is not president.”

Oh, snap!

we know who will be in the majority then.

There really should be something done about that.

If only there was something...

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 09, 2021 11:06PM
Won’t it go to the Supreme Court?
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 10, 2021 12:17AM
plaintiff is not president

A lot of Q followers will be shocked to learn that.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 10, 2021 01:03AM
Dennis S

Will be a moot point if they first manage to get the documents into the public domain.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: November 10, 2021 03:26AM
RgrF
Dennis S

Will be a moot point if they first manage to get the documents into the public domain.

How? I would love to see that happen.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 10, 2021 07:34AM
Lizabeth
RgrF
Dennis S

How? I would love to see that happen.

Well, I think the first tranche is scheduled to be released on Friday. Trump’s legal goons better get cracking.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 10, 2021 07:25PM
I'd really like to see video of hordes of FBI agents in raid jackets, leaving 45*'s and others' properties with boxes and boxes of records, maybe stacked on a hand truck.

I'd be positively giddy.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 10, 2021 08:00PM
Oh, there will be boxes. Boxes, boxes and boxes. A haystack of boxes, if you will. That's SOP when "records" are demanded. Make 'em work for it.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 11, 2021 12:43PM
Trump does not have possession of the records, they are in the National Archives. They will have been sorted and cataloged already.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2021 12:46PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 11, 2021 01:53PM
Ombligo
Trump does not have possession of the records, they are in the National Archives. They will have been sorted and cataloged already.

Ah, but are they? I guess we'll see. Still many ways to prevent access these papers, from the legal to the mechanical, as any NYC real estate con man would instinctively know.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 11, 2021 07:44PM
Eh, I think we all knew this was coming.
Appeals court temporarily blocks imminent release of Trump White House records to House January 6 committee
[www.cbsnews.com]

Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 11, 2021 09:49PM
$tevie
Eh, I think we all knew this was coming.
Appeals court temporarily blocks imminent release of Trump White House records to House January 6 committee
[www.cbsnews.com]

And the three judges who will hear the appeal: two Obama appointees and one Biden appointee.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020