advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Michael Flynn says of the US: 'We have to have one religion'"
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 14, 2021 02:42PM
[thehill.com]

Michael Flynn, former national security adviser in the Trump administration, on Saturday said the United States should have a single religion.

"If we are going to have one nation under God, which we must, we have to have one religion," he said while speaking on the "ReAwaken America" tour Saturday night. "One nation under God and one religion under God."

Holy crap!!!

Later Saturday, Josh Mandel, Ohio's treasurer and a U.S. Senate candidate, tweeted, "We stand with General Flynn."

facepalm

Tweet:
[twitter.com]

e pluribus unum
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Michael Flynn says of the US: 'We have to have one religion'"
Date: November 14, 2021 02:46PM
I read a response to the tweet where someone said, "Is the one religion Judaism? It isn't Judaism is it."

e pluribus unum

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2021 03:45PM by Ted King.
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 14, 2021 02:51PM
When is he planning to convert to Pastafarianism?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 14, 2021 02:59PM
What does that even mean?

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 14, 2021 03:13PM
If “Christianity” were declared our National Religion tomorrow, all the “Christians” would be at each other’s throats by Christmas.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: November 14, 2021 03:17PM
OK - so the bill of rights is trumped by an addition eventually made to the Pledge of Allegiance, which itself was written 100 years later.

These pundits and politicians need to be schooled.
Posted by: hal
Date: November 14, 2021 03:20PM
What does Flynn suggest we do with those pesky non-Christians? Some reporter should ask.
Date: November 14, 2021 03:28PM
hal
What does Flynn suggest we do with those pesky non-Christians? Some reporter should ask.

Trumplicans are all about freedom so I can see him saying that people who aren't Christians would be legally free to not be Christians but they couldn't talk about their non-Christianity. And they would have to accept that their children will be indoctrinated given a chance to embrace Christianity. And, well, Christians also have the freedom to discriminate against non-Christians in economic transactions so...

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 14, 2021 03:29PM
I'll just put this out there:

The Federalist Papers never use the word "Jesus," "Christ" "God" (singular) or "Christian". "Christianity" is used once. "Providence" is used three times in paper #2. "Religion" is used four times.

[www.narlo.org]
Date: November 14, 2021 03:40PM
Acer
I'll just put this out there:

The Federalist Papers never use the word "Jesus," "Christ" "God" (singular) or "Christian". "Christianity" is used once. "Providence" is used three times in paper #2. "Religion" is used four times.

[www.narlo.org]

And then there's this little thing called the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. A clear implication of what Flynn is saying is that we have to basically chuck the First Amendment. Getting rid of the First Amendment would probably be a threefer for Flynn - getting the ability to establish Christianity as the official religion of the country, getting rid of free speech rights and being able to crush free press.

e pluribus unum

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2021 04:49PM by Ted King.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 14, 2021 03:41PM
"...the controversial phrase 'under God' was not always part of the Pledge of Allegiance. It was added by law on June 14, 1954..."

More recent than a lot of MRF'ers! Old Fogetteold fogey smiley

The gripping sermon that got ‘under God’ added to the Pledge of Allegiance on Flag Day

“An atheistic American is a contradiction in terms,” Docherty said in his sermon. “If you deny the Christian ethic, you fall short of the American ideal of life.”
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 14, 2021 03:53PM
DeusxMac
"...the controversial phrase 'under God' was not always part of the Pledge of Allegiance. It was added by law on June 14, 1954..."

More recent than a lot of MRF'ers! Old Fogetteold fogey smiley

The gripping sermon that got ‘under God’ added to the Pledge of Allegiance on Flag Day

“An atheistic American is a contradiction in terms,” Docherty said in his sermon. “If you deny the Christian ethic, you fall short of the American ideal of life.”

It was a product of the McCarthy era anti-Communist hysteria.
Posted by: bfd
Date: November 14, 2021 04:06PM
The Constitution is under attack. The culmination wasn't January 6, that was just the beginning… This isn't going to end well. Wait and see …
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 14, 2021 04:44PM
bfd
The Constitution is under attack. The culmination wasn't January 6, that was just the beginning… This isn't going to end well. Wait and see …

Sadly, I fully agree.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 14, 2021 05:36PM
If we must, then I nominate Pluralist Unitarian Universalism.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 14, 2021 05:39PM
Republicans are the Big Tent Party … of dangerous extremists.

Count the numbers of them in the coming days that denounce and renounce his comment. It’s safe bet they’ll conveniently brush it off as merely stupid noise and totally harmless. It’s what apologists so.
Posted by: Spock
Date: November 14, 2021 10:00PM
GGD

Hell NO !!! We don't want him.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 14, 2021 10:07PM
bfd

I think I said something here to that effect weeks ago.

EDIT: Ah, yes, here it is: [forums.macresource.com]

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2021 10:09PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 14, 2021 10:31PM
Let the “Feats of Strength” begin!
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 15, 2021 08:09AM

and protect our precious bodily fluids
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 15, 2021 08:20AM
Spock
GGD

Hell NO !!! We don't want him.

Amen, brother, and pass the Parm.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: November 15, 2021 10:59AM
Ombligo
bfd

Sadly, I fully agree.

The red flag is that the crazy isn’t abating with Trump losing his bully pulpit. It’s continuing to froth and congeal. The bad actors he put in place and empowered are continuing and expanding on the damage they are doing.

For the moment, I feel they will ultimately fail, but the possibility they will win at least one or a few truly major battles along the way, possibly gaining the high ground somewhere along the way, is all too likely.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Date: November 15, 2021 11:14AM
Steve G.

and protect our precious bodily fluids

goodone

e pluribus unum
Posted by: kj
Date: November 15, 2021 12:26PM
He wouldn't actually do it if he could. He's not christian, and neither is Josh Mandel, obviously. Josh Mandel wouldn't agree if he thought there was any intention of doing anything toward that goal. It's political, to garner support. That's all. Now, if they gain that support, what they want to do might be even worse, but that's a whole different issue.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 15, 2021 02:49PM
kj
… It's political, to garner support. That's all. …

I think that’s inherently understood and that he alone does not have ability to make it so. You condemn people for spreading B.S.; instead of keeping quiet and wait until it comes to fruition as if by coincidence. Or, maybe you do, I don’t know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2021 02:50PM by deckeda.
Date: November 15, 2021 04:37PM
kj
He wouldn't actually do it if he could. He's not christian, and neither is Josh Mandel, obviously. Josh Mandel wouldn't agree if he thought there was any intention of doing anything toward that goal. It's political, to garner support. That's all. Now, if they gain that support, what they want to do might be even worse, but that's a whole different issue.

I don't think anyone here imagines that Flynn could inspire enough people to make his pronouncements come true. It's that he isn't immediately relegated to ignoreland by conservatives/Trumplicans.

e pluribus unum
Date: November 16, 2021 05:51PM
Almost all of the comments here sound quite a bit like people are worried this will actually come to pass in some way. I don't even think he would want that, even if it could happen (I said this before, so I'm not saying anyone thinks he alone could do it). As far as being relegated to ignore land, why would you think that? It's every group's dream that everyone think just like they do. Because they are "right", of course. I'm not even sure it should be different.
Date: November 16, 2021 08:00PM
kj
Almost all of the comments here sound quite a bit like people are worried this will actually come to pass in some way.

That's not my perception of most, if not all, of the comments.

I don't even think he would want that, even if it could happen (I said this before, so I'm not saying anyone thinks he alone could do it). As far as being relegated to ignore land, why would you think that? It's every group's dream that everyone think just like they do. Because they are "right", of course. I'm not even sure it should be different.

I mean to say that what's notable is the lack of negative response by any Republican leaders that I know of.

e pluribus unum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2021 08:11PM by Ted King.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 17, 2021 04:07AM
kj
I don't even think he would want that, even if it could happen (I said this before, so I'm not saying anyone thinks he alone could do it). As far as being relegated to ignore land, why would you think that? It's every group's dream that everyone think just like they do. Because they are "right", of course. I'm not even sure it should be different.

That is not so far-fetched. Granted, the following article is from a progressive website, but there is truth backed up by history of the Dominionist/Christian Reconstruction movements within the article.

LA Progressive
While the CR agenda may sound very fringy and extremist in nature, the reality is that Christian Reconstructionism has achieved a profound impact on the Republican Party. Due to the response to CR’s call for Christian politicization, proponents of the CR ideology can be found in a plethora of elected positions, both nationally and locally, as well as in the media, particularly talk radio.

[www.laprogressive.com]

The following Salon article was written in 2005. Take what it says and think about today's situation with the courts and tell me that the CR/Dominionists aren't moving to take over the USA.

[www.salon.com]

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 17, 2021 07:08AM
The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power
“A 2008 book by American journalist Jeff Sharlet. The book investigates the political power of The Family or The Fellowship, a secretive fundamentalist Christian association led by Douglas Coe. Sharlet has stated that the organization fetishizes power by comparing Jesus to “Lenin, Ho Chi Minh, Bin Laden” as examples of leaders who change the world through the strength of the covenants they had forged with their “brothers”.”

“On August 9, 2019, an original documentary series was released on Netflix based on the book, titled The Family.”

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

The Fellowship
“Many United States senators and congressmen have publicly acknowledged working with the Fellowship or are documented as having worked together to pass or influence legislation.”

[en.m.wikipedia.org])
Date: November 17, 2021 08:22AM
"He didn't really mean that, and if he did he can't make it happen" was comforting until Trump was sworn in. Trump didn't succeed in many things, including his putsch at the end, but even in failure the damage will follow for years to come.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2021 08:25AM by Acer.
Date: November 17, 2021 05:14PM
"If the Judeo-Christian Council for Constitutional Restoration has its way, the present system will soon be coming to an end."

Well, I guess either soon is more than 15yrs., or they didn't get their way. More oddly to me, this is presented as some sort of universal movement within Evangelical churches, and it absolutely is not. I've been involved in more "evangelical" churches than I can count, and I've never heard mention of any of this stuff. And my experience is not unusual.

Now, I will say Trump has captured support of more people than I'm comfortable with, and it's truly distressing. But it's not accurate to say there is an intentional conspiracy on the part of all evangelical churches (unless you have a seriously biased definition of what evangelical church means). The "evangelical" church is a lot more diverse than people want to think.

Acer, I sort of agree in that I think these are dangerous people. But I don't think taking it at face value gives us the right understanding of what they are actually doing. I don't believe he's a religious man, at all.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 17, 2021 09:24PM
How about those evangelical churches where, during the electoral season, the parson preaches more about who to vote for than anything else?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 17, 2021 11:12PM
Speedy
How about those evangelical churches where, during the electoral season, the parson preaches more about who to vote for than anything else?

Caught a clip from one of those the other day, congregation was in unison chanting Let's Go Brandon -- Christianity at it's non-taxable finest.
Date: November 18, 2021 09:40AM
IMHO and experience of 50+ years of regular attendance at mainline to moderately conservative churches, the amount of political rhetoric from the pulpit is greatly exaggerated.

I personally prefer the Anabaptist tradition where the church as no business with politics, not flying the American flag in the sanctuary or even singing hymns with a patriotic text. They are that way because in the early years of their formation, the fusion of politics and religion that ran Europe in the 1500s murdered their leaders and drove them from their homes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2021 09:40AM by Acer.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 19, 2021 03:20AM
Weren't the Danbury Baptists with whom Thomas Jefferson emailed back and forth Anapatists?

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020