advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Dems really are no better when they're in power (NY Times editorial video)
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 17, 2021 06:42AM
[youtu.be]

Some tiny hope for redemption if you sit thru to the end.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dems really are no better when they're in power (NY Times editorial video)
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: November 17, 2021 07:56AM
I've always thought that both parties are equal opportunity screw ups.

Tho, the elephants are in the lead after the last four years because they've taken it to another level. I'm waiting for the donkeys move that way.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 17, 2021 09:01AM
Well done piece. Thank you for posting it.

Basically comes down to hypocrisy in human nature, 'I have what I have and screw you' coupled with NIMBY.

Or... Black Lives Matter!!... just not in my neighborhood.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 17, 2021 09:21AM
Yeah, because passing a badly needed infrastructure bill is pretty much the same as not passing one.

Same with, say, Obamacare. Or Social Security. Or Medicare.

Or appointing Supreme Court judges that give a @#$%& about women’s rights.

Six of one, half dozen of the other, really, knowwhatimean?

Didn’t watch the video (I actually prefer the written word online), but the NYT and others frequently seem to be more concerned with the horse races of politics and less about what one side has actually done for people.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 17, 2021 04:02PM
pdq
Yeah, because passing a badly needed infrastructure bill is pretty much the same as not passing one.

Same with, say, Obamacare. Or Social Security. Or Medicare.

Or appointing Supreme Court judges that give a @#$%& about women’s rights.

Six of one, half dozen of the other, really, knowwhatimean?

Didn’t watch the video (I actually prefer the written word online), but the NYT and others frequently seem to be more concerned with the horse races of politics and less about what one side has actually done for people.

It's a well-done video chiefly highlighting as Sam said, NIMBY.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 17, 2021 04:22PM
When people ask(ed) me what can (could) they do to support democracy, and this happened a lot during the reign of the moron, I would always respond to support affordable housing. This usually stopped the conversation for a few seconds or minutes, whilst they contemplated the meaning. But folks want to solve Big Problems; to them, housing is just something that happens in the background, and hopefully not near them, on their minimum 1 acre lots, or the no overnight parking neighborhood in which they live. They don't figure it really has anything to do with big D democracy.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 17, 2021 07:15PM
I need a breakdown of how they calculated taxes for different income brackets in WA., because there is no state income tax. Sales tax is regressive. I guess that explains why Texas is in second place, but that's a lot of shade to throw without explaining how hard it is to change the state constitution just to try to make taxes better indexed to income.

I am surprised that anybody found a possible property to develop in Palo Alto. I thought it was a fully mature city with no free space 20 years ago. There might have been a chance 50 years ago before Silicon Valley grew like weeds, but the state wasn't as blue back then. It's pretty similar for the rest of the S.F. region. Where are you going to put another 2 million residents when it already has some of the worst traffic in the US? A million of the current residents bought houses that were built over some of the most productive farm land in the world.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2021 07:16PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 18, 2021 12:11AM

THIS
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 18, 2021 12:16AM
testcase

THIS

This although the GQP has really gone off the edge. There are only two parties and that's a core problem.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 18, 2021 08:07AM
I think its good to hold dems accountable. Its frustrating that there's not more significant differences in outcomes between democratic and republican governance. but to call them the same is a bit disingenuous.

Posted by: pdq
Date: November 18, 2021 08:38AM
mattkime
I think its good to hold dems accountable. Its frustrating that there's not more significant differences in outcomes between democratic and republican governance. but to call them the same is a bit disingenuous.

Please see above re: infrastructure, Obamacare, SS, Medicare. And Women’s rights, LGBTQ rights, voting rights.

Not to mention empirically better economic performance under Dem administrations…and fewer members of presidential administrations ending up in jail or requiring presidential pardons.

I understand the link has something to do with NIMBYism, but that usually comes down to individuals more than parties. And to extrapolate that corner of experience out to “Dems really are no better when they're in power” is BS.

Seriously folks. Is our memory that short?
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 18, 2021 02:45PM
That video is just some leftist bulshit. I'm late to this thread. The housing policies that he describes as being hypocritical while not perfect is the opposite of what he'd really want. What he wants is really rooted in helping developers reconstruct cities. Places that have high density, making them even more dense. Creating housing for people that can afford to live anywhere.

More slander to push people away from the Democratic Party which only empowers the Republican Party.

This is why Democrats lose. Stop talking about there only being 2 parties. There aren't going to be any more of them that matter. Only ones that can be a spoiler.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2021 02:49PM by vision63.
Date: November 18, 2021 03:47PM
vision63
What he wants is really rooted in helping developers reconstruct cities.

Developers do not want to build affordable housing.

Date: November 18, 2021 03:51PM
Sarcany
vision63
What he wants is really rooted in helping developers reconstruct cities.

Developers do not want to build affordable housing.

Exactly. But that's who cities (like Oakland) turn to for solutions. If you build a 300 unit apartment building with 45 "affordable" units, what does that solve. Especially when you consider that $1500 per month is what's considered "affordable."

"Subsidized" housing is a whole different ball of wax.
Posted by: kj
Date: November 18, 2021 05:41PM
We've got tons of developers trying to build affordable housing, but no one will let them build in their neighborhood. The don't want dirty rotten stinking' middle class people in their neighborhood. Actually, it's hard to build anything anywhere, housing-wise. I do think there are people who don't want enough housing, for obvious reasons. It's a mess, but the most liberal part of town fights new housing just as vociferously. They are better at disguising their motives though winking smiley
Date: November 18, 2021 06:11PM
kj
We've got tons of developers trying to build affordable housing, but no one will let them build in their neighborhood. The don't want dirty rotten stinking' middle class people in their neighborhood. Actually, it's hard to build anything anywhere, housing-wise. I do think there are people who don't want enough housing, for obvious reasons. It's a mess, but the most liberal part of town fights new housing just as vociferously. They are better at disguising their motives though winking smiley

You can't trust developers. They're only about themselves.

This is who your city needs to work with. They get it done

[bridgehousing.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2021 06:12PM by vision63.
Date: November 18, 2021 08:07PM
As a limited-time experiment, the local zoning commission is requiring all builders who build over a certain number of units in a new apartment complex to build an additional apartment complex (smaller is okay) with nothing but affordable housing units and the second place must be comparable in quality to the first.

One of the first of these affordable housing units went up about a block down the road from my place. The builder put up a huge expensive apartment complex with shops just down the block and was compelled to make the affordable housing building.

It's very nice. I took a tour. The apartments are of good size with all the usual amenities and nicer stoves and counter-tops than what I've got. They have a concierge and a package room and a big gym. They allow small pets and they have both a dog-park and playground.

They only rent to low-income individuals/families. Rents are very low for this area with a 3-bedroom there costing what I'm paying for a one-bedroom in my place. They encourage subsidized tenants and say better than 90% of the residents are subsidized.

So far, my new neighbors have been exceptionally quiet and peaceful and friendly. I have no problem with this kind of affordable housing in my neighborhood.

Date: November 18, 2021 10:00PM
Sarcany
As a limited-time experiment, the local zoning commission is requiring all builders who build over a certain number of units in a new apartment complex to build an additional apartment complex (smaller is okay) with nothing but affordable housing units and the second place must be comparable in quality to the first.

One of the first of these affordable housing units went up about a block down the road from my place. The builder put up a huge expensive apartment complex with shops just down the block and was compelled to make the affordable housing building.

It's very nice. I took a tour. The apartments are of good size with all the usual amenities and nicer stoves and counter-tops than what I've got. They have a concierge and a package room and a big gym. They allow small pets and they have both a dog-park and playground.

They only rent to low-income individuals/families. Rents are very low for this area with a 3-bedroom there costing what I'm paying for a one-bedroom in my place. They encourage subsidized tenants and say better than 90% of the residents are subsidized.

So far, my new neighbors have been exceptionally quiet and peaceful and friendly. I have no problem with this kind of affordable housing in my neighborhood.

That sounds great.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 18, 2021 10:04PM
Sarcany

How will the building be managed in future? Under local housing authority purview has always been problematic.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 18, 2021 11:13PM
I have no problem with this kind of affordable housing in my neighborhood.

LOL, I'd have no trouble living in that kind of affordable housing.

Except that how it's treated long term is questionable.

Seen and treated as 'affordable housing' often means maintenance isn't a priority.

And so a downward spiral begins.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 19, 2021 04:12PM
This both sides @#$%& is @#$%&. Say the Democrats equal one dog turd. Then the Republicans equal at least ten.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020