advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Is it my imagination, or ...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 18, 2021 01:34PM
... do we have two highly-publicized trials currently going on, both of which involve individuals intentionally putting themselves into charged situations in which they killed one or more persons, and now are claiming self-defense?

I'm with the prosecutor of one of these trials; if you intentionally instigate, go somewhere, or create a situation where you're having to use lethal force, you can't then turn around and cry self-defense.

Even my own state, which has Castle Doctrine type laws, recognizes this fact: [law.justia.com]

(... and plus, Castle Doctrine laws also assume that you're not committing a crime by virtue of the activity in which you're engaged, when you use the deadly force...)

Just sayin'...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is it my imagination, or ...
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 18, 2021 02:50PM
When I was an active LEO, I had a simple guideline. WHO lived there? Anyone who did NOT "live there" was suspect, ESPECIALLY at night. I think in the Rittenhouse case most (ALL?) parties involved were "imports" making ALL of them suspect. With the abolish / defund the police movements, there are fewer LEOs to respond, especially to TRUE emergencies / serious incidents. About two decades ago during hard fiscal times, the then Police Commissioner of my agency, was threatening to run the department like a fire department. ALL police would be off the street and positioned at precinct buildings. They would only be dispatched as appropriate calls came in. Of course response times would go through the roof. This tactic was basically a ploy to force the County Legislators to approve more funding for police. I haven't been on Long Island for some time now so, I cannot make an informed report of the current state of affairs but, I've heard stories re violent attacks are on the rise. old fogey smiley
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 18, 2021 03:26PM
testcase
This tactic was basically a ploy to force the County Legislators to approve more funding for police.

If I remember correctly, I don't think our politics are too far off - that said, the threat of reduced police work BY CHOICE, strikes me as dirty.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 18, 2021 04:50PM
PeterB
... do we have two highly-publicized trials currently going on, both of which involve individuals intentionally putting themselves into charged situations in which they killed one or more persons, and now are claiming self-defense?

No way. In one case, the shooter was just someone who claimed to be on the side of law and order (even though the person(s) shot were not actually committing a crime). And then the person lunged for the gun! (after it was pointed at them). It was a matter of life and death! Who knows what terrible things might have happened if the dead guy(s) had gotten my gun away from me.

Waaah!

Yup. These cases are nothing like each other.

wink smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2021 05:00PM by pdq.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 18, 2021 06:44PM
testcase
With the abolish / defund the police movements, there are fewer LEOs to respond, especially to TRUE emergencies / serious incidents.

Had Kenosha "abolished/defunded" its police force in August of 2020?
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 18, 2021 11:38PM
mattkime
testcase
This tactic was basically a ploy to force the County Legislators to approve more funding for police.

If I remember correctly, I don't think our politics are too far off - that said, the threat of reduced police work BY CHOICE, strikes me as dirty.

The "Rank & File" LEOs were NOT the ones threatening "reduced work". It was a total power play by the Police Commissioner (an appointed position) and the County Legislators (ie ALL politicians). The LEOs were simply caught in the middle (and were regularly used as pawns in various political processes).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 70
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020