advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
This is how looney the WI GOP is now
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 22, 2021 10:37AM
Yahoo:

Republicans in Wisconsin are engaged in an all-out assault on the state’s election system, building off their attempts to challenge the results of the 2020 presidential race by pressing to give themselves full control over voting in the state... The onslaught picked up late last month after a long-awaited report on the 2020 results that was ordered by Republican state legislators found no evidence of fraud…

Yeah, remember that the whole deal about that was, even though the GOP had previously presented no evidence of fraud that withstood the slightest scrutiny, they had to have a conservative-led commission reinvestigate to reassure the Wisconsin electorate that there was no fraud?

Annnd…they found no fraud. There was no fraud. Now what?

…the Trump-aligned sheriff of Racine County, the state’s fifth most populous county, recommended felony charges against five of the six members of the election commission for guidance they had given to municipal clerks early in the pandemic.

Two of those they want to charge are Republicans, (who are insufficiently crazy, I guess). Felony charges! For what?

Republicans have seized in particular on a March 2020 commission vote lifting a rule that required special voting deputies to visit nursing homes twice before issuing absentee ballots to residents.

But there was a pandemic going on, nursing homes were the epicenter, and so this requirement was temporarily lifted by this bipartisan commission.

The vote was relatively uncontroversial at the time: No lawsuits from Republicans or anyone else challenged the guidance… But after Joe Biden won Wisconsin by 20,682 votes out of 3.3 million cast, Republicans began making evidence-free claims of fraudulent votes cast from nursing homes across the state.

And thus, let’s charge them all with felonies.

Is this just the pet idea of some wacko nut job? Sadly, no.

Robin Vos, the Republican speaker of the state Assemblyquickly concurred, saying that the five commissioners — including his own appointee to the panel — should “probably” face felony charges.

And whose idea was this commie “bipartisan election commission” anyway?

Kevin J. Kennedy…spent 34 years as Wisconsin’s chief election officer before Republicans eliminated his agency and replaced it with the elections commission in 2016.

Why did the GOP eliminate the original, long-standing elections agency five years ago?

… GOP lawmakers created [it] in part to eliminate the investigatory powers of its predecessor agency…

confused smiley

You can’t make this stuff up. No one would believe you.

…but there’s more…
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: This is how looney the WI GOP is now
Date: November 22, 2021 10:46AM
Same link as above.

…last week, Sen. Ron Johnson, a Republican, said that GOP state lawmakers should unilaterally assert control of federal elections, claiming that they had the authority to do so even if Gov. Tony Evers, a Democrat, stood in their way — an extraordinary legal argument debunked by a 1932 Supreme Court decision and a 1964 ruling from the Wisconsin Supreme Court.

Well, times have changed. (My how times have changed!) And why should the WI GOP unilaterally control elections?

Republican control of Wisconsin elections is necessary, Johnson said in an interview Wednesday, because he believes Democrats cheat.

“Do I expect Democrats to follow the rules?” said the senator, who over the past year has promoted fringe theories on topics like the Capitol riot and COVID vaccines. “Unfortunately, I probably don’t expect them to follow the rules. And other people don’t either, and that’s the problem.”

I thiiink there may be a larger problem that you may not be seeing here, Senator Johnson. You and the entire Wisconsin Republican Party have gone around the bend, and no one and nothing can disabuse you from your evidence-free notions.

But if the Wisconsin GOP can pull this off and name itself sole arbiter of Wisconsin elections, they will; the (Dem) governor can veto or sue them, and then it’s on to the (conservative-controlled) State Supreme Court, or the SCOTUS.

God help us all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2021 10:52AM by pdq.
Date: November 22, 2021 10:50AM
Quick shout out to mattkime, who IIRC, lives in Madison, one of the few remaining pockets of rationality (at least when the legislature is not in session). Having been there many times, I can say that life is good there.

But outstate Wisconsin? Scary. They’d throw out democracy and name Trump king in a heartbeat. Seriously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2021 10:53AM by pdq.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 22, 2021 11:06AM
pdq
But outstate Wisconsin? Scary. They’d throw out democracy and name Trump king in a heartbeat. Seriously.

IMO this is a product of a lot of Fox News watching voters who know which team they're on and care about little more than that. Does anyone here know of Republican voters who would consider voting for a Dem over this sort of thing? I'll hazard a guess of zero.

Meanwhile Dems have such a fragile coalition that we tear apart our own so others don't have to.

The point is - I think this is happening largely independent of what the voters want.

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 22, 2021 11:51AM
mattkime
Does anyone here know of Republican voters who would consider voting for a Dem over this sort of thing? I'll hazard a guess of zero.

I think the best you can hope for is that they stay at home and don't vote.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 22, 2021 12:05PM
A couple of months ago I had some neighbors put up signs that said "Trump Won, Democrats Cheated" -- thought about stopping and asking exactly how, and wheres the proof, but would have been a waste of time.

If the entire Democratic party cheated and no one can find evidence this far in... well then bravo, that's one hell of a cover up.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 22, 2021 01:37PM
I really hope some R with a a vestige of principles and patriotism breaks off and takes some with him or her.

I offer them the names

"American Conserviative Party"

"Traditional Republican"

"Lincoln Party"

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 22, 2021 03:05PM
Rolando
I really hope some R with a a vestige of principles and patriotism breaks off and takes some with him or her.

I offer them the names

"American Conserviative Party"

"Traditional Republican"

"Lincoln Party"

Tea Party.

Q Party.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 22, 2021 03:59PM
jdc
A couple of months ago I had some neighbors put up signs that said "Trump Won, Democrats Cheated" -- thought about stopping and asking exactly how, and wheres the proof, but would have been a waste of time.

If the entire Democratic party cheated and no one can find evidence this far in... well then bravo, that's one hell of a cover up.

Conversely, if this cheating is happening all over at the scale they continue to claim, and yet this crew can’t manage to find an iota of evidence for it, that doesn’t exactly suggest competence in government, oversight, or anything else.
Date: November 22, 2021 04:10PM
mattkime
pdq

IMO this is a product of a lot of Fox News watching voters who know which team they're on and care about little more than that.

Totally agree. One of the big problems today is that these people don’t know or interact with anyone who votes for the other side, so they assume no one does.

mattkime
Does anyone here know of Republican voters who would consider voting for a Dem over this sort of thing?

Sadly, no. When I was younger, I used to vote for whoever I thought was the best candidate…GOP, Dem, 3rd party…but I eventually realized some folks will never vote for the other side, no matter what. I would bet that of 100 “never-Trumpers”, Clinton maybe got 5 votes. Maybe.

So I’m afraid I’ve become like them, and settled on the party that isn’t bat-@#$%& crazy…at least until the other party stops worshipping anti-democracy cult figures.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 22, 2021 05:33PM
I guess I'm glad WI is getting attention for this, but isn't this happening in a number of states?

Posted by: jdc
Date: November 22, 2021 06:22PM
pdq
jdc

Conversely, if this cheating is happening all over at the scale they continue to claim, and yet this crew can’t manage to find an iota of evidence for it, that doesn’t exactly suggest competence in government, oversight, or anything else.

What "crew" are you referring to? Cyber Ninjas?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: November 23, 2021 08:00AM
jdc
pdq
jdc

What "crew" are you referring to? Cyber Ninjas?

All of these folks that are absolutely convinced that someone’s been stealing their elections, but like grandma/grandpa have in fact just forgotten where they put em.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 23, 2021 10:35AM
All of these folks that are absolutely convinced that someone’s been stealing their elections, but like grandma/grandpa have in fact just forgotten where they put em.

Nobody, from FAUX talking head to the sycophants and true believers who tune in can or at least refuse to enlighten anybody as to what those facts are.

I've challenged a few people I know to 'show their work' when espousing the Stop The Steal nonsense.

The response is either 'Fox News', 'FaceBook' or 'It's all over the Internet' which usually circles back to FoxFaceBook.

And when I ask where those sources got it all I get is — ::blank stare::

They can't offer anything more substantial than parroting the baseless, unsubstantiated allegations.

Anything I offer is just 'fake news'.

They're totally unfazed when I counter their Pillow Boy 'we have conclusive proof' delusional rhetoric 'Ok so where is it, why haven't we seen it' along with the audit nonsense.

'They'll show it when the time is right."

As if.

To be fair, none of them has said that Biden will be arrested and * reinstated.

At least not to my face.

thought about stopping and asking exactly how, and wheres the proof, but would have been a waste of time.

And really, that's about the only practical alternative.

Well there's voting.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 69
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020