advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
So.....MAGAt relatives at the Thanksgiving table?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 22, 2021 07:02PM
I'm not even talking about no-vaxx morons, they are a 'hell no' disinvite.

What about those right-winger loony relatives who subscribe to the Fox List Of Lies? I'm certain you will not be able to avoid vicious arguments with these extra-galactics.

So how are you planning on handling it?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So.....MAGAt relatives at the Thanksgiving table?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 22, 2021 07:22PM
They didn't get vaccinated.

They're not invited.

Posted by: Don C
Date: November 22, 2021 07:27PM
We are blessed with like-minded kinfolk. If any are not, they have the wisdom to remain silent.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 22, 2021 07:28PM
My extended side of the family - Fox News == anti-covid vax.

My wife's side of the family - Fox News but vaxed.

But we're with my family, only loony liberals.

Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: November 22, 2021 08:52PM
FIL is a vaxxed pro-Trumper who believes that Fox, OAN, and Newsmax are almost liberal in their bias. He gets his news from some obscure fascist news sources out West somewhere.

I’m going to have to work very hard at changing topics if/when politics enter the conversation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2021 08:53PM by S. Pupp.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 22, 2021 08:54PM
don't have 'em in my family. well, some, but we don't see them except for funerals. and even they are not outright crazies, mostly hate democrats because, because.. well, they hate democrats.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 22, 2021 08:59PM
My motto has always been “sit at the kids table! It’s more fun !”
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 22, 2021 09:10PM
I think we’ll do as last year and go across town to my in-laws. No vax there, but their politics is disconnectedness when not in favor of bat guano. It’s less about Fox TV and more about whatever online conspiracies can be absorbed. My mother in law is old school. She gets her conspiracies from books and fake self-help B.S.

Looking forward to not staying long.
Posted by: kj
Date: November 23, 2021 10:08AM
I don't have any trouble eating a good Thanksgiving meal with people who think ridiculous things. If I need to, I tell them what I think and try really hard not to have any emotion at all (and mostly I succeed, because it isn't like I live with them). It's usually them that get emotional, but that's not my problem.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 23, 2021 10:52AM
If I need to, I tell them what I think and try really hard not to have any emotion at all

While I applaud that tact, it would still really impinge on my enjoyment, and I just might sit out this Thanksgiving.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 23, 2021 02:19PM
Even those of my relatives that lean right HAVE gotten vaccinated, and would be welcome at the dinner table.

There's a difference between being on the conservative side of things, and being stupid and brainwashed by Dump and likeminded individuals. Even those of my relatives who are conservative acknowledge that this is a killer disease, and that it would literally be stupid not to get vaccinated. (Part of this comes from their having had direct experience: a significant number of their friends have ended up in the morgue.)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 23, 2021 11:55PM
My partner's older brother is hosting this year. But since he, and his idiot son aren't vaccinated, we are not going.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Michael
Date: November 24, 2021 04:46AM
Among my sibs, 36 cousins (and large numbers of second cousins) and 4 surviving aunts there exists the whole range of political beliefs. I have one uncle-in-law who's an ass and loudly expresses how stupid X political belief is in front of people who hold that political belief. He's been disinvited by both political sides since my aunt passed away simply because he's an ass. The rest of us can easily talk about our different beliefs and feelings regarding political issues. We rarely talk about individuals and NEVER call people names (e.g. Dumpf or Sleepy Joe) because it's rude as hell and is simply designed to piss off the other side. We all care for each other and so why would we want to piss off the others? With those (implicit) ground rules it's not hard to have conversations that don't devolve into unpleasantness. We'll do that this Thanksgiving among the 22 of us who are getting together. It's always interesting to do a post-mortem after an event and think about what the others have to say. As long as the ass-uncle isn't around it's typically just fine. It's interesting that the (relatively few) non-vacc'ed relatives have all declined the invitation. I presume it's because they know that the vacc'ed relatives would be mighty bothered and worried and they don't want to do that to their loved ones.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: November 24, 2021 10:35AM
The non-vaxxed arm of the family is not invited. Thanksgiving will be a smaller event this year.
Posted by: kj
Date: November 24, 2021 04:22PM
Michael
Among my sibs, 36 cousins (and large numbers of second cousins) and 4 surviving aunts there exists the whole range of political beliefs. I have one uncle-in-law who's an ass and loudly expresses how stupid X political belief is in front of people who hold that political belief. He's been disinvited by both political sides since my aunt passed away simply because he's an ass. The rest of us can easily talk about our different beliefs and feelings regarding political issues. We rarely talk about individuals and NEVER call people names (e.g. Dumpf or Sleepy Joe) because it's rude as hell and is simply designed to piss off the other side. We all care for each other and so why would we want to piss off the others? With those (implicit) ground rules it's not hard to have conversations that don't devolve into unpleasantness. We'll do that this Thanksgiving among the 22 of us who are getting together. It's always interesting to do a post-mortem after an event and think about what the others have to say. As long as the ass-uncle isn't around it's typically just fine. It's interesting that the (relatively few) non-vacc'ed relatives have all declined the invitation. I presume it's because they know that the vacc'ed relatives would be mighty bothered and worried and they don't want to do that to their loved ones.

Amen.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 24, 2021 05:57PM
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 26, 2021 12:33AM
they should have been in parkas, in the rain.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 27, 2021 05:38AM
Racer X
they should have been in parkas, in the rain.

We had a high of 21°. Turkey gets cold fast, especially with a 7 MPH breeze. But rain would be worse.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020