advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
PSA: R.I.P. JFK - 58 years ago today
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 22, 2021 09:09PM
Interestingly, my family was on vacation in L.A. during the 1960 DNC, which was held at the L.A. Sports Arena, just south of Downtown L.A.; while we were staying at the Beverly Hilton. JFK & LBJ were nominated for the Democratic Presidential Ticket at that convention. A couple of years later, on this date, Nov. 22, 1962, we were again staying at the Beverly Hilton, this time for a cousin's wedding, on what would become, exactly one year later, another day that will live forever in infamy for our country. Rest In Peace Mr. President (and another unforgettable anniversary for the cousins...).
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: R.I.P. JFK - 58 years ago today
Posted by: steve...
Date: November 22, 2021 09:54PM
It's one of those days that you remember exactly where and what you were doing.

I was waiting for my High School Geometry class to start when the teacher made the announcement that we would be going home. The next three days seemed surreal. I remember the days being sunny and warm for that time of the year.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 22, 2021 10:10PM
Before my time. I'm told it was like 9/11 or Dec 7, 1941.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 22, 2021 10:51PM
WHO's butt is being covered by keeping the investigation results a secret?
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 22, 2021 10:54PM
Wasn't here yet when it happened, but the story was part of the tapestry of my childhood.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 23, 2021 01:48AM
I was just pulling into a parking space in front my local barber/bookie shop when I heard an AM radio flash. I discounted it as news type hype. Went in for the haircut, that's when it got real. I was in that chair for at least 5 hours - none of us could get up to leave.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 23, 2021 06:29AM
My teacher was crying. When I got home my mother was crying and my Dad was upset. Mom later talked about how she saw him in the late 40's when she was a teenager at the beach club in Southampton, and thought he was 'SO handsome !"
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 23, 2021 07:00AM
A week or so ago around a thousand people were waiting in Dealy Plaza for JFK and his son’s reappearance. As far as I know, neither showed up. But a Q acolyte apparently said they would and that Junior would make an announcement that he would be Pres. Trump’s running mate in the next election.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 23, 2021 08:58AM
Just came across this. Apparently was handed out in Dallas just before the visit!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: hal
Date: November 23, 2021 01:42PM
THere was a pic on twitter of 100s of Q nuts anxiously waiting for JFK's return in Dallas on the anniversary. I wonder if they are still there...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 23, 2021 01:52PM
hal
THere was a pic on twitter of 100s of Q nuts anxiously waiting for JFK's return in Dallas on the anniversary. I wonder if they are still there...

There were a lot more earlier but most have gone back where they came from in order to comfort their guns until the end time.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: November 23, 2021 03:28PM
This GenX'er question:

Why can't we just let the cult of JFK die?

Why all the worship for the guy who was responsible for getting us into Vietnam?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2021 03:29PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: November 23, 2021 05:42PM
Bill in NC
This GenX'er question:

Why all the worship for the guy who was responsible for getting us into Vietnam?

JFK definitely had some downsides. It’s amazing what a President could get away with in those days.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 23, 2021 08:28PM
Bill in NC
This GenX'er question:

Preceded by two wars and after eight years of Ike, his aspirational rhetoric was a tonic the country wanted and needed. It created the Peace Corps and sent men to the moon. His domestic legislative agenda was stymied by Southern Democrats but became a reality through Johnson after the assassination.

As to Vietnam, it was widely held that following his Cuban Missile Crisis experience he'd never have become the captive of the military/industrial complex that was the politically doomed Johnson.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 23, 2021 11:50PM
Ammo
Bill in NC
This GenX'er question:

JFK definitely had some downsides. It’s amazing what a President could get away with in those days.

What about these days?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020