advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Because they think it's real-live action at the Barclays Center
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 24, 2021 12:38PM
Once you think it's real...anything is possible

Brooklyn wrestling fan charged after tackling WWE’s Seth Rollins at Barclays Center
[www.nydailynews.com]

A Brooklyn wrestling fan tackled WWE star Seth Rollins during a Monday Night Raw event at the Barclays Center.

Video taken at the event shows Rollins stomping off the main floor after his match with Finn Baylor when the fan rushed in and leapt on the wrestler.

“Who this, a fan?” one surprised onlooker yelled as the man, identified as Elisah Spencer, 24, knocked Rollins to the ground.

Rollins broke free of Spencer’s grip while referees and security guards swarmed. “You ain’t blindsiding me, motherf---er!” the WWE star bellowed as Spencer was hustled away.

Spencer was charged with attempted assault and attempted violation of arts and cultural affairs by disrupting a live sporting event. He was released with a desk appearance ticket.

In April 2019, another fan tackled wresting legend Bret Hart as he was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame at a Barclays Center event.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Because they think it's real-live action at the Barclays Center
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 24, 2021 01:48PM
HAHAHA...@#$%& amazing

Posted by: hal
Date: November 24, 2021 02:37PM
I read a statement from the WWE and it talked about the importance of protecting their 'performers' - they no longer even pretend that it's real, but the fans seem to know that and are entertained anyway. I never understood this. I used to watch this stuff when I was a little kid and then I realized that it was all fake and stopped watching - I was 6 or 7 at the time. I thought that's what everyone did.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 24, 2021 03:36PM
hal
I read a statement from the WWE and it talked about the importance of protecting their 'performers' - they no longer even pretend that it's real, but the fans seem to know that and are entertained anyway. I never understood this. I used to watch this stuff when I was a little kid and then I realized that it was all fake and stopped watching - I was 6 or 7 at the time. I thought that's what everyone did.

There are “adults” who believe John Wayne was a war hero. drool smiley
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 24, 2021 04:25PM

attempted violation of arts and cultural affairs by disrupting a live sporting event.

I'm not sure there is a DA anywhere who could prove any one of those descriptions, much less all three.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: November 24, 2021 05:32PM
I think I figured it out when one wrestler would allow the other to slowly reach out and take him by the hair and then do something aggressive. What person with a three digit IQ would not do any defense?

Of course it was kind of fun to watch Freddy Blassie do his big mouth act. But that was in an era of black and white television and the announcer Dick Lane, who knew how far to play it in terms of being the straight man.

The one time things got real was at a Dodger game at the Coliseum (before Dodger Stadium was built) and assistant manager Leo Durocher got into an argument with the first base umpire (I think it was Jocko Conlon that day) and eventually one started kicking dirt on the other one's shins (it obviously had to be Durocher who started it) and the umpire returned the favor. Vin Scully actually called it, although later policy changed to the announcers generally not revealing bad behavior by the fans. But this was a coach and an umpire.

It would be lucrative to have the anabolic steroid account for the professional wrestlers.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 24, 2021 05:49PM
Ca Bob

Of course it was kind of fun to watch Freddy Blassie do his big mouth act. But that was in an era of black and white television and the announcer Dick Lane, who knew how far to play it in terms of being the straight man.

Back then 'rassling was regional TV fare, often staged in a ring built as a set in the local station. In the northeast the big names were Killer Kowalski and Haystack Calhoun.
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 24, 2021 06:17PM
It was publicly acknowledged as scripted more than 30 years ago.

[en.wikipedia.org]

The first public acknowledgment by a major insider of the staged nature of professional wrestling came in 1989 when World Wrestling Federation owner Vince McMahon testified before the New Jersey State Senate that wrestling was not a competitive sport. The admission on McMahon's part was to avoid interference from state athletic commissions and to avoid paying the taxation some states placed on income from athletic events held in that state, as well as to avoid the need to meet the requirement of having to employ medical professionals standing by, as was generally mandatory for legitimate contact sports involving substantial possibility of injury.
Posted by: apocketfulofwry
Date: November 25, 2021 11:06AM
GGD

It's 'Days of Our Lives', but with more wrestling.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 25, 2021 05:27PM
apocketfulofwry
GGD

It's 'Days of Our Lives', but with more wrestling.

And more skin.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 25, 2021 06:46PM
Anybody up this way in the Bay Area around the late '50s?

TV Station KTVU had a show National All-Star Wrestling hosted by Jim 'Skinny Pencil Neck' Wessman of the Gateway Chevrolet dealership.

Pure theater, but it was fun to watch.

Wessman would do commercials from atop a ladder, 6' or so, I don't recall.

From his perch, he'd do some commentary and occasionally interact with and talk smack to the actors.

He did a bit where he was challenged to come down off the latter and into the ring.

Lots of back and forth, he took off his jacket, maybe came down a rung or two but didn't get off the ladder.

KTVU also hosted a roller derby show, wrestling on wheels with the Bay Area Bombers.

There are real roller derby teams that engage in actual competition, unlike the WOW roller derby.

That was fun to watch, too, but I was always surprised at the number of people who thought it was real.

Jumping of the top rope onto a guy's throat, or knocking a skater A over T out of the rink?

C'mon, Jake, it's theater.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 27, 2021 06:00PM
“ I think I figured it out when one wrestler would allow the other to slowly reach out and take him by the hair and then do something aggressive. What person with a three digit IQ would not do any defense? “

He’s stunned! smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020