Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
how much longer masked?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 28, 2021 08:13AM
Poll
how many more years of masking?
This poll has expired. Voting is no longer possible.
36 votes were received.
2 or less 15

42%
2 to 5 14

39%
we'll be wearing a mask on the way to the other side. 7

19%

with delta and omicron persie 5 variants ..... so far ...

!#$@@$#!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: how much longer masked?
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: November 28, 2021 08:58AM
I'd rather mask than not at this point. It isn't a hardship to do so in spite of all the noise about having to do it.

Plus I'm making cloth masks with skull fabric which seems to influence people into keeping their distance.

Tho, I did shake hands (wearing a mask) yesterday at the Ford dealership with the sales rep.
Date: November 28, 2021 09:36AM
definitely agree with that.
going to Fla in a couple weeks for a couple weeks.
I'll be in Tyvek from the airport out.

!#$@@$#!
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 28, 2021 09:44AM
I pretty much mask up everywhere I will be bumping into an Antimasker!

Anything else is like having unprotected sex without the fun!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 28, 2021 10:24AM
Apparently I dodge the virus when I worked side by side with my employee who has covid. not sure if it was the mask, the vaccine, or both, but something saved me from Covid. I will stick to my routine: mask, wash hands, keep social distance when possible (in this case we had to work side by side to look at the same screen). I may try a dual monitor setup so we can stay 6 feet apart in the future.

Also he is doing better, it's been almost 2 weeks since symptoms started so he's going for a test next week to see if he's still positive or is clear and can return. Also his fiancé dodged the virus too.
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 28, 2021 11:29AM
With new Covid variants popping up on a semi-regular basis (and the latest Omicron variant being able to “beat” current vaccines) I expect scientists will be playing “catch up” for many years to come. I have no problem wearing a mask, maintaining social distance and staying up to date on vaccinations. Unfortunately, too many others don’t so, Covid will keep bouncing around the globe mutating as it goes until somebody figures out a way to crush it (which may NEVER happen). There’s STILL little to no agreement as to the best way to deal with this mess and as long as “leaders” can’t agree (and LEAD) many people will continue to make poor choices. I fear that we’re in this for a VERY long haul. sad smiley
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 28, 2021 12:32PM
I have gotten used to the idea of strangers not breathing into my lungs.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: decocritter
Date: November 28, 2021 12:59PM
I would like to place an order for a couple of those skull masks.

I will wear a mask, sanitizer is in my car, purse. I wash my hands all the time.

I have not been social, dined in a restaurant once, prepare food at home except pizza, that I heat over. I dont’ see how letting others handle my food could possibly be safe.

The lack of an agreed upon plan at this point is disturbing,
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: November 28, 2021 01:02PM
My FIL wears a mask, unless he is talking with someone who isn't wearing one. Then he takes his off to avoid offending them, and stands as close as he can get to them to prove he's not judging them.

Good grief.
Date: November 28, 2021 01:07PM
S. Pupp
My FIL wears a mask, unless he is talking with someone who isn't wearing one. Then he takes his off to avoid offending them, and stands as close as he can get to them to prove he's not judging them.

Good grief.

no

No

NO

NO!!!
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 28, 2021 01:40PM
We still mask when out.

But we are not letting covid really stop us from interacting? We have *very* low rates, with less than 500 total deaths in a 400,000 population county. A county 1500 sq miles, (as big as delaware?) and 1200 of it unpopulated. Double edged sword, cause this is the reason we have lots of no mask and anit mask wearers, they cant *see* the effects of it.

11.1 cases per 100K (7-day average)
0.4 deaths per 100K (7-day average)

We eat out, went to the movie theater last night, and some other normal public social things -- and mask when it makes sense. Outdoor farmers market, no, try and keep distance, in supermarket, mask on. whole family is vaxed, and wife and I are getting booster on the 6th.

So the new variant might add a few % to these numbers, but going from .4% to .6% wont be enough to make people change.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: davester
Date: November 28, 2021 01:42PM
There is no way IMHO that this disease is going to be defeated, such as the way polio and smallpox were defeated. It will become a prevalent, manageable disease, much like a bad version of influenza. This is because there are large parts of the world where almost nobody is vaccinated and then we have the reality-denying parts of the world where vaccination, masking and social distancing are seen as political hoaxes. The virus is just going to keep evolving new, slipperier (i.e. vaccine-resistant, more transmissible) variants in those places that will make their way into the highly vaccinated regions. For better or for worse, this means that we will have to adapt to having Covid around. This perhaps means that parts of the country where denialism is king will continue to experience sickness and death at relatively high rates while other parts of the country will continue to mask up and avoid crowded indoor spaces and the reality-denying states for the foreseeable future.

My family has been discussing this dynamic and we are realizing that we will continue to do the easy low-impact things (masking up in stores, periodic vaccination boosters, eliminating close contact with known anti-vaxxers, avoiding the most crowded spaces), but are willing to take some risks (going to restaurants, outdoor concerts, etc) so that we can reclaim our lives.

Note that I said "prevalent" instead of "endemic". A bunch of folks in the media are talking about how the disease will become endemic. However, this is the wrong term since it implies that the disease will become restricted to a particular area. I don't think this is going to happen. Like the flu it is going to be a worldwide disease for the foreseeable future.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 28, 2021 03:27PM
I wear mine out in public. It’s not a big deal.
Posted by: p8712
Date: November 28, 2021 03:28PM
People still wear masks? Not in FL!

(I do, but we are a rare species)
Posted by: hal
Date: November 28, 2021 03:41PM
These days, I've got pandemic fatigue. That doesn't mean that I'm going to lower defences - I'm just sick of it.

In the store the other day, I looked around at all of the masked people and felt like it was a dystopian dream.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 28, 2021 04:17PM
Today I wore mine when in crowds. And felt rather guilty taking it off when I wasn’t around people. I need some better masks..
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 28, 2021 04:47PM
forever! and don't you dare let it drop under your nose or Todd and Karen* will be all over you.

I still wear an N95 in some situations, a surgical mask in others, and no mask when out doors or nowhere near anyone else. But I'm back to living my life, and being mostly "normal" about things. However, some are still fearful in an overly hysterical manner, and others are overly moronic about it being a hoax.

*apologies to folks who go by these names

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2021 04:50PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 28, 2021 04:56PM
I hate wearing masks and I hate other people wearing them. I never even liked people wearing hoodies if it wasn't cold or raining. I just don't like it.

BUT

I can always picture the images of people on ventilators. The refrigerator trucks to accommodate the morgue overflow. The desperation for people to not be placed on a ventilator knowing it was mostly a death sentence.

I remember all the quasi funerals I attended and also knowing the fact that I've suffered from respiratory issues myself from time to time. I'm gonna wear a mask until I feel like it's safe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2021 04:58PM by vision63.
Date: November 28, 2021 06:44PM
I hate wearing masks

fine, I have no problem with this.

and I hate other people wearing them.

I don't get this part. Why do you hate us?

I never even liked people wearing hoodies if it wasn't cold or raining. I just don't like it.

Again I am fine with this statement. It is one thing do say you don't like something, but to hate that thing is a different sentiment. Big difference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2021 06:45PM by space-time.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 28, 2021 06:46PM
I mask when around others indoors, aside from small gatherings of vaccinated individuals. Practically speaking, this means I do most of my masking at the grocery store.

Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 28, 2021 06:54PM
I dislike masks very much. I just get the feeling I would be one of those poor souls that have a really bad outcome. I could almost stomach something that would drop me dead in a few hours over the series I am reading about people being on ventilators and ECMO. So, mask it is. I don't are what people think about me. They aren't going to help me if I get seriously ill.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 28, 2021 07:39PM
Mask indoors but we eat at restaurants where the staff masks. We have excellent disposable KN-95 masks that fit and work well, at least as long as I shave. One good thing about masking and hand cleaning is I avoid all the other illnesses.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 28, 2021 08:04PM
space-time
I hate wearing masks

fine, I have no problem with this.

and I hate other people wearing them.

I don't get this part. Why do you hate us?

I never even liked people wearing hoodies if it wasn't cold or raining. I just don't like it.

Again I am fine with this statement. It is one thing do say you don't like something, but to hate that thing is a different sentiment. Big difference.

But I do hate it. Unless you have a good reason. I ask people all the time wearing hoods in 90 degree weather "Are you cold?" When I'm fussin' at my nieces and nephews they'll throw on their hoods like it's some barrier from me cussin' 'em out. Stop hiding.

Before the pandemic, I especially hated masked people, unless there's a good reason for it. Those were always the people destroying my city during protests (usually with the hoods). Why do they hide? You're bold enough to destroy "Girl's Inc" but you're not bold enough show your face.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 29, 2021 02:38AM
Don't know, don't care, maskingup doesn't bother me.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 29, 2021 10:49AM
Masking is a minor inconvenience.

This time of year, it is also protecting from the seasonal colds & flu.

I can't remember the last time I had a cold.
Posted by: Z
Date: November 29, 2021 04:38PM
Masks are such a minor inconvenience, the level of teeth gnashing boggles the mind.
Walking into work this morning at -4F, my mask was doing double duty keeping me warm as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2021 04:40PM by Z.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 29, 2021 05:53PM
Date: November 29, 2021 06:21PM
It's not about the masks. It's about being contrary because of the hill they've chosen to fight from. It's shows how what they care about is bereft of anything of substance. All that's left to fight are the lies.

I think if I were one of those kinds of people, I could express and present their grievances better than they can.

As your president, vision63 will reunite this country!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2021 06:21PM by vision63.
Date: November 30, 2021 05:44AM
vision63

As your president, vision63 will reunite this country!

You should run, I'd vote for you.
Date: November 30, 2021 07:07AM
masking doesn't bother me as long as I have a decent 95. The surgi ones are annoying.

But seeing many people, in what I thought was an educated community without masks, at the grocery, kind of scares me a bit for the next go-round.

"I'm vacc'd and therefore I'm in the clear." Attitude, seems to prevail.

All work requires a mask of us. If I'm in a room by myself I will take it off for a bit.

!#$@@$#!
Date: November 30, 2021 07:13AM
One of my co-workers died this weekend. This virus sucks.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 30, 2021 05:54PM
space-time

Sorry for your loss. But now the virus is mostly killing the unvaccinated (like my brother two weeks ago) and that’s their choice.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 30, 2021 07:20PM
I'm in a section of the San Fernando Valley where indoor masking seems to be running close to 100%.
Date: November 30, 2021 08:01PM
Speedy
space-time

Sorry for your loss. But now the virus is mostly killing the unvaccinated (like my brother two weeks ago) and that’s their choice.

What??? Wow guys.
Date: December 01, 2021 12:14PM
vision63
Speedy
space-time

What??? Wow guys.

I found out he was not vaccinated. Not even for the flu. And did NOT wear a mask. I just assumed he was vaccinated since he was walking around unmasked.
Date: December 01, 2021 12:28PM
space-time
vision63
Speedy
space-time

What??? Wow guys.

I found out he was not vaccinated. Not even for the flu. And did NOT wear a mask. I just assumed he was vaccinated since he was walking around unmasked.

Born and raised and survived the ravages of an entire life only to be cut down by something avoidable. How are we supposed to process this? This is not how we're supposed to lose people.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 02, 2021 09:48PM
vision63
How are we supposed to process this? This is not how we're supposed to lose people.

Our choices matter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 71
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020