advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Omicron Is Coming. The U.S. Must Act Now.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 28, 2021 05:20PM
[www.nytimes.com]

this should be vefore the paywall if I did it right.

Not political, but I know that some could see it as that, so ...

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Omicron Is Coming. The U.S. Must Act Now.
Posted by: steve...
Date: November 28, 2021 05:52PM
Heard on the news that Canada has identified at least a couple of cases.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 28, 2021 06:06PM
Everything she says makes complete sense, and is eminently practical, BUT ...

... the chance of it happening, nearly zero. Why, because we prioritize money over peoples' lives, and personal "freedoms" over the lives of others. In a nutshell, greed and selfishness, pure and simple.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: November 28, 2021 06:09PM
“The will of the people is only considered when it is more profitable than every other option.”

Diego Realisto

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 28, 2021 06:27PM
IIRC, Washington state found it's first community transmission about ten days after the first official case. Due to poor national testing/tracking/isolation guidelines, they were never able to track where it came from.

I will guess that Omicron has been in the US for at least 8 days. We just haven't been lucky enough to stumble across it yet.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 28, 2021 06:33PM
S.African doctor says patients with Omicron variant have "very mild" symptoms

Not an infectious disease doc, as far as I can tell, but she is apparently the chairperson of the South African Medical Association, and…

Coetzee, who is also on the Ministerial Advisory Committee on Vaccines, said unlike the Delta so far patients have not reported loss of smell or taste and there has been no major drop in oxygen levels with the new variant.

Her experience so far has been that the variant is affecting people who are 40 or younger. Almost half of the patients with Omicron symptoms that she treated were not vaccinated.

"The most predominant clinical complaint is severe fatigue for one or two days. With them, the headache and the body aches and pain."

Younger people, but mild symptoms, mostly treated at home. Well, I guess we’ll see.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 28, 2021 06:35PM
I wonder if it hasn’t already been here.
We don’t, AFAIK, do nearly the amount of testing for the variants as we could, so I wonder how accurate our counts are.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: November 28, 2021 07:11PM
pdq

Not an infectious disease doc, as far as I can tell, but she is apparently the chairperson of the South African Medical Association, and…

Coetzee, who is also on the Ministerial Advisory Committee on Vaccines, said unlike the Delta so far patients have not reported loss of smell or taste and there has been no major drop in oxygen levels with the new variant.

Her experience so far has been that the variant is affecting people who are 40 or younger. Almost half of the patients with Omicron symptoms that she treated were not vaccinated.

"The most predominant clinical complaint is severe fatigue for one or two days. With them, the headache and the body aches and pain."

Younger people, but mild symptoms, mostly treated at home. Well, I guess we’ll see.

Yes... the problem is that how it behaves with a predominantly younger group of South Africans, isn't necessarily how it will behave with a more heterogenous group of people ... once a larger number are infected, we might find that the symptoms and severity could be quite different.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 28, 2021 08:01PM
Everyone should work from home. One can never be too safe.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 28, 2021 10:37PM
It evades many PCR tests, so it's been literally undetectable in many instances.

I bet it's in the US already.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: November 28, 2021 10:54PM
It would be great luck to find a Covid version of the cowpox -- a mild infection that confers lifelong immunity against a fatal disease.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 29, 2021 07:36AM
South Africa is pissed off at being “blamed” for this. I don’t know why anyone would “blame” them when they don’t have enough vax to go around. They (and WHO) are also upset at travel bans, despite people isolating is kinda a prime factor in reducing transmission. It’s cute how they want the pandemic to go away so long as it doesn’t wreck the economy. OK, that’s blame.
Posted by: August West
Date: November 29, 2021 07:54AM
"They" are us.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 29, 2021 09:59AM
pdq

Until there are solid numbers and findings, I am not going to conclude Omicron is less debilitating or deadly. So far, most C19 people get “mild symptoms”, except for the people it maims and kills.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2021 10:03AM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: Janit
Date: November 29, 2021 10:52AM
PeterB
pdq

Yes... the problem is that how it behaves with a predominantly younger group of South Africans, isn't necessarily how it will behave with a more heterogenous group of people ... once a larger number are infected, we might find that the symptoms and severity could be quite different.

Yes, this is the report I heard on BBC radio yesterday morning, but it hadn't yet reached the reputable media. It did show up on the more questionable news sites, and each one spun it differently.

We're all grasping for straws.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 29, 2021 11:44AM
CDC reporting hospitalizations in parts of SA have more than tripled in past 2 weeks, with many young, unvaccinated patients.

There hasn't been enough time for epidemiologists to determine if omicron causes more or less sickness than delta or alpha, and early reports are only anecdotal. The expectation is that it will be about the same, though possibly far more transmissible. That's what a virus wants: more hosts, not more dead hosts.
Date: November 29, 2021 12:04PM
Lemon Drop
CDC reporting hospitalizations in parts of SA have more than tripled in past 2 weeks, with many young, unvaccinated patients.

There hasn't been enough time for epidemiologists to determine if omicron causes more or less sickness than delta or alpha, and early reports are only anecdotal. The expectation is that it will be about the same, though possibly far more transmissible. That's what a virus wants: more hosts, not more dead hosts.

Maybe my definition is different than others but hospitalizations is not “mild” illness. IMHO, if you need the hospital
To sustain or save you, things have gotten severe. Some people will hear “mild” and not take anything seriously.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: pdq
Date: November 29, 2021 12:15PM
Lemon Drop
That's what a virus wants: more hosts, not more dead hosts.

^this.

Over time, any given virus should be expected to evolve to be more transmissible, and less deadly.

Of course, this isn’t a plan by the virus (which can’t make plans), and any random viral mutation may not follow this path, but I think it’s a reasonable hope that we may see more contagious, but less pathogenic coronaviruses going forward.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 29, 2021 01:15PM
pRICE cUBE
Maybe my definition is different than others but hospitalizations is not “mild” illness. IMHO, if you need the hospital
To sustain or save you, things have gotten severe. Some people will hear “mild” and not take anything seriously.

Yeah, it's unfortunate, but anything short of needing a ventilator is usually considered "mild" or "moderate" by CDC/hospital standards.

"Severe" is someone in acute respiratory distress, and at great risk of sepsis or death.

Date: November 29, 2021 04:10PM
pRICE cUBE
Lemon Drop

I didn't use the word "mild" in my comment, nor suggest that people won't take this seriously.
Date: November 29, 2021 05:22PM
pdq
Lemon Drop

^this.

Over time, any given virus should be expected to evolve to be more transmissible, and less deadly.

Of course, this isn’t a plan by the virus (which can’t make plans), and any random viral mutation may not follow this path, but I think it’s a reasonable hope that we may see more contagious, but less pathogenic coronaviruses going forward.

Not necessarily (about "more hosts, not more dead hosts") ... viruses do not mutate to particular purposes. They mutate and then are selected for or against. A virus might be more transmissible and therefore will get more hosts, but kill those hosts as a side-effect or consequence; it could kill, but do so slowly, in which case it will still be plenty transmissible.

Date: November 29, 2021 06:32PM
pdq

Sorry, I meant to quote the headline.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2021 06:34PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 29, 2021 08:14PM
One number in a headline is that Omicron is 6x more transmissible than the Delta variant.

True? I do not know. But if so, would likely start a new global wave.
Date: November 30, 2021 06:02AM
PeterB
pdq
Lemon Drop

^this.

Not necessarily (about "more hosts, not more dead hosts") ... viruses do not mutate to particular purposes. They mutate and then are selected for or against. A virus might be more transmissible and therefore will get more hosts, but kill those hosts as a side-effect or consequence; it could kill, but do so slowly, in which case it will still be plenty transmissible.

I didn't mean to assign free will to a virus. I know that mutations are random and could either help, hurt, or mean nothing for the virus itself. But as it relates to the emergence of variants like omicron, we are helping COVID 19 thrive in the human population when we don't do preventions like vaccines and social distancing. Fewer hosts means fewer chances to mutate and fewer chances to overcome our interventions.
Date: November 30, 2021 07:30AM
I'm not interested in any virus at any level.
even a head full of morning boogers harshes my buzz.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: space-time
Date: November 30, 2021 02:58PM
sekker
It evades many PCR tests, so it's been literally undetectable in many instances.

where did you read this?
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 30, 2021 02:59PM
sekker

I bet it's in the US already.

Interesting, when I quote this, the already is underlined in blue. Why???
Posted by: kj
Date: November 30, 2021 04:19PM
Lemon Drop
PeterB
pdq
Lemon Drop

^this.

I didn't mean to assign free will to a virus. I know that mutations are random and could either help, hurt, or mean nothing for the virus itself. But as it relates to the emergence of variants like omicron, we are helping COVID 19 thrive in the human population when we don't do preventions like vaccines and social distancing. Fewer hosts means fewer chances to mutate and fewer chances to overcome our interventions.

I don't blame anyone for using anthropomorphic language in these cases. It's easier to communicate, and no one thinks viruses are having meetings and plotting their next moves, etc.
Posted by: kj
Date: November 30, 2021 04:21PM
It's hard to know how to react to this. I'm worried the consequences of our response will be worse than the virus.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020