advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
I may have to register as a Republican
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 02, 2021 07:02AM
I'm considering changing my voter registration to Republican. It galls me and I'm still undecided.

The area I live in is as deep Red as it can be at all levels. There is not a single elected Democrat in any position that represents my area, and hasn't been in the last ten years. In the last election, only two offices had any legitimate opposition to Republican candidates. At the state level, my senate district encompasses The Villages. So no Democrat has a chance. The elections are essentially decided in the primary.

So if I want any voice at all - I'll have to change my voter registration to Republican.

barf smiley

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I may have to register as a Republican
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 02, 2021 07:15AM
The same is true in NY, except with Democrats.

Posted by: samintx
Date: December 02, 2021 09:22AM
Pretty much Smith county’s story. And TX doesn’t allow Independent registration.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: December 02, 2021 10:22AM
I changed my part to vote against MMC in the primaries.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 02, 2021 11:02AM
Did that once, to help out a less crazy candidate. It’s a legit way to stay engaged in the process. What if the tables were turned and it was nothing but Democrats you didn’t like? One would still be somewhat better than the rest, and so that’s how you move the peg forward.

Lots of people misinterpret a vote as supporting the candidate, as if you have to stick with them. Not always true; you’re free to pick someone else next time.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 02, 2021 11:15AM
I struggle with being registered as independent in a blue state. Neither party will allow me to vote in their Presidential primary unless I register for that party. I have considered registering as Republican so I can vote for wingnuts in primaries as a way to help insure election results stay as blue as possible.

In 2016 Democrats tried to derail Bernie winning the Caucus by having a separate unofficial primary election. They fixed that in 2020 by eliminating the Caucus election and awarding delegates based on the primary election results.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 02, 2021 12:35PM
Ombligo, go loony or go home. The loonier the better your chance of winning.

Our precinct caucuses for all parties are all held on the same night. I attend the Republican one just to screw with them and the loony resolutions they pass. I try to offer the looniest resolutions just to see how many bigots and racists will vote for my resolutions. I really can’t remember a one that hasn’t passed in the last thirty years.

My congressional district used to elect only Republican state legislators but in the last couple of elections the Democrats managed to elect one senator and one house member in the entire congressional district. It didn’t hurt that one popular Republican state house legislator was accused by his daughter of sexual improprieties after it was too late to get his name off the ballot. He said he wouldn’t serve if re-elected and he wasn’t. Then in the last election the Republican state senator was edged out by the Democrat because of high turnout by college students voting against Pres. Trump. Sadly, between the election and the end of his term he attended a Republican legislative retreat where he caught COVID45 and died before his term ended.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 02, 2021 12:49PM
Speedy

Our precinct caucuses for all parties are all held on the same night. I attend the Republican one just to screw with them and the loony resolutions they pass. I try to offer the looniest resolutions just to see how many bigots and racists will vote for my resolutions. I really can’t remember a one that hasn’t passed in the last thirty years.

My congressional district used to elect only Republican state legislators but in the last couple of elections the Democrats managed to elect one senator and one house member in the entire congressional district. It didn’t hurt that one popular Republican state house legislator was accused by his daughter of sexual improprieties after it was too late to get his name off the ballot. He said he wouldn’t serve if re-elected and he wasn’t. Then in the last election the Republican state senator was edged out by the Democrat because of high turnout by college students voting against Pres. Trump. Sadly, between the election and the end of his term he attended a Republican legislative retreat where he caught COVID45 and died before his term ended.

I can just imagine the people at the caucus trying to figure you out. "Who is this nut?"
Date: December 02, 2021 01:02PM
vision63
Speedy

I can just imagine the people at the caucus trying to figure you out. "Who is this nut?"

I fit right in: an old fat white conservative.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 02, 2021 05:19PM
Ombligo
I'm considering changing my voter registration to Republican. It galls me and I'm still undecided.

The area I live in is as deep Red as it can be at all levels. There is not a single elected Democrat in any position that represents my area, and hasn't been in the last ten years. In the last election, only two offices had any legitimate opposition to Republican candidates. At the state level, my senate district encompasses The Villages. So no Democrat has a chance. The elections are essentially decided in the primary.

So if I want any voice at all - I'll have to change my voter registration to Republican.

barf smiley

Yup. I feel your pain. I'm reasonably conservative, but I live in Seattle. My vote means nothing.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Michael
Date: December 02, 2021 08:28PM
I wish you'd all move to NW Georgia and vote in the primary to get our representative out--Marjorie Taylor Greene. God, what a moron...
Date: December 03, 2021 06:01AM
Michael
I wish you'd all move to NW Georgia and vote in the primary to get our representative out--Marjorie Taylor Greene. God, what a moron...

It would take more than all of us. She won unopposed in the general.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 03, 2021 07:48AM
If you register as a GOPer, you'll begin to get all the weirdo mail and crazed rally invitations samintx is always describing.

Have the paper shredder ready.
Posted by: davester
Date: December 03, 2021 10:45AM
Will you be able to look at yourself in the mirror if you register Republican?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 03, 2021 12:05PM
AFAIK, in Texas, I have NEVER registered as a party member. My county is pretty reliably D, so of course the R's at the state house have sliced up into as many R districts as they can! The elected get to pick their electors.

I always say vote your conscience, and if that means helping your cause by voting wing nut, go for it!

Since my state is so red-dead, I tend to subvert as much as I can. If the vote is contested I will vote in the following order: Green first. If no Green Party candidate is running, I vote Libertarian. If none, I vote Democratic. If the R is running uncontested I skip the vote.

Does it affect anything? Probably not. Do I feel better? A little bit.

I did vote for HRC when it seemed TX might actually be contested. And I voted for Biden as a matter of conscience.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 73
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020