advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
DeSantis: Stop WOKE Act
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: December 15, 2021 08:51AM
Ok this is getting out of hand, but you gotta credit the Prince of MAGA for bringing it all together like this.

His new proposed bill, modeled after the Texas anti-choice act, allows private citizens to sue schools if they catch them teaching critical race theory. Since most people don't seem to get what that is, I can only imagine the mayhem, and the stress for social studies teachers.

Is academic freedom dead?

[www.wesh.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: DeSantis: Stop WOKE Act
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: December 15, 2021 08:55AM
Name a school district that is teaching critical race theory. So far nobody has...
Date: December 15, 2021 09:00AM
Lizabeth
Name a school district that is teaching critical race theory. So far nobody has...

The problem is defining what that means. Unfortunately to the MAGA crowd any mention of the harms done by slavery, and it's continuing legacy of harm, is hurtful to white children and shouldn't be mentioned.

It's all part of an effort to re-Whitewash US history and really has little to do with CRT itself.
Posted by: Don C
Date: December 15, 2021 09:21AM
Will certainly help the teacher shortage, don't you think?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 15, 2021 10:32AM
Every bat-guano act begins with a failed premise or two.
Posted by: gabester
Date: December 15, 2021 10:48AM
Teachers should just leverage analogy teachings, using content such as [birdsarentreal.com]
We need to get better at plausible deniability since the other side is perfectly willing to lie about everything to get their way.

g=
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 15, 2021 11:34AM
Let’s see how the SC reacts to this and what will no doubt be many more similar laws passed.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: December 15, 2021 12:15PM
gabester
Teachers should just leverage analogy teachings, using content such as [birdsarentreal.com]
We need to get better at plausible deniability since the other side is perfectly willing to lie about everything to get their way.

I checked out that website, and it was literally a POMTL moment!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 15, 2021 12:55PM
1984 is NOT supposed to be a user's manual.

So ANY teacher that mentions racism at all is then pilloried for teaching "Critical Race Theory".

Like this poor bastard:
[www.washingtonpost.com]

"in late April, a student mentioned White privilege during a class discussion about the trial of Derek Chauvin — the White Minneapolis police officer who murdered George Floyd by kneeling on the Black man’s neck — and Hawn could not help himself. He navigated to YouTube and pulled up “White Privilege,” a scathing and profane four-minute poetry performance by Kyla Jenée Lacey.

“Oh, am I making you uncomfortable?” the Black writer demands at one point. “Try a cramped slave ship.”

“I will probably get fired for showing this,” Hawn joked before hitting play. Less than a month later, he was."
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 15, 2021 02:35PM
My wife was called out by an Assistant Principal for showing a 20-year-old film about immigration. She was told not to show it anymore as it was too controversial for high school students. The film is required to be shown under the state standards for the study of culture.

Why did the AP call her out? because a parent complained that teaching anything regarding immigration is unacceptable to his beliefs. The parent also said she should not be teaching in American schools because she is likely a wetback.

My wife's answer - two years and I'm out of here.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 15, 2021 02:44PM
Ombligo
My wife was called out by an Assistant Principal for showing a 20-year-old film about immigration. She was told not to show it anymore as it was too controversial for high school students. The film is required to be shown under the state standards for the study of culture.

Why did the AP call her out? because a parent complained that teaching anything regarding immigration is unacceptable to his beliefs. The parent also said she should not be teaching in American schools because she is likely a wetback.

I know this happens....but why? Seems like a knee jerk reaction on the part of the AP.

Posted by: Ted King
Date: December 15, 2021 02:56PM
From the article cited in the OP:

The governor said the rise of "woke ideology" is an attempt to erase the country's history, referencing the removal of statues in recent years.

"They want to tear at the fabric of our society and our culture," he said. "They want to delegitimize the founding of the country and the constitution."

On the Demagoguery Scale™ where Trump routinely scores 9 and 10 out of 10, this is right up there. He definitely has a talent for incendiary rhetoric that stimulates anger and hate in Trumpistas.

e pluribus unum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2021 02:58PM by Ted King.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 15, 2021 03:00PM
This all part of the push to create an educational system that does not educate. Stupid people vote against their own interests and for any tinpot dictator that tells them what to think. They want the teachers to quit. Shove 60 kids in a classroom with a good Christian substitute and let them fend for themselves as far as learning anything goes.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 15, 2021 04:37PM
$tevie
This all part of the push to create an educational system that does not educate. Stupid people vote against their own interests and for any tinpot dictator that tells them what to think. They want the teachers to quit. Shove 60 kids in a classroom with a good Christian substitute and let them fend for themselves as far as learning anything goes.

The critical flaw in your theory, $tevie: There are no substitutes for Christians! smiley-laughing001

It is what it is.
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 15, 2021 04:52PM
Ombligo

RollingEyesSmiley5
The AP didn’t know it was a required film, WTH?
He/she should have told that to the parent who was bitching that it was required by the state and had been for 20 years.
The AP should also have given the parent a lesson about prejudice when he questioned your wife’s status. What an awful role model for his child. The cycle continues, unfortunately.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: December 15, 2021 07:15PM
We are doomed.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 15, 2021 07:20PM
Lizabeth

Harvard Law School.

That's where the course was created.

[hls.harvard.edu]

Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 15, 2021 08:50PM
Harvard Law is a private institution, not a school district.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: December 16, 2021 11:21AM
RgrF

AND a college which is where it probably should be taught.

We badly need critical thinking taught.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2021 11:22AM by Lizabeth.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: December 16, 2021 11:42AM
DeSantis in June:

[www.lehighacrescitizen.com]

“You need to have a true contest of ideas. Students shouldn’t be shielded from ideas,” DeSantis said.

e pluribus unum
Date: December 16, 2021 05:45PM
RgrF

Sorry, you did say/write "district."

My bad.

Date: December 16, 2021 07:27PM
Sarcany
RgrF

My bad.

Actually, that was Lizabeth who said that.

It is what it is.
Date: December 16, 2021 07:28PM
What we REALLY need is a Stop DeSantis Act.

It is what it is.
Date: December 16, 2021 07:39PM
N-OS X-tasy!
What we REALLY need is a Stop DeSantis Act.

Nov 8, 2022.
Date: December 16, 2021 11:29PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Sarcany
RgrF

My bad.

Actually, that was Lizabeth who said that.

Sorry. Lizabeth did say/write "district."

My bad.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 18, 2021 04:45PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020