advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Only Pfizer and Moderna WITH A BOOSTER appear to have any efficacy against Omicron infection...
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 19, 2021 06:02PM
[www.deccanherald.com]

All vaccines still seem to provide a significant degree of protection against serious illness from Omicron, which is the most crucial goal. But only the Pfizer and Moderna shots, when reinforced by a booster, appear to have initial success at stopping infections, and these vaccines are unavailable to most of the world.

The other shots — including those by AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson and vaccines manufactured in China and Russia — do little to nothing to stop the spread of Omicron, early research shows. And because most countries have built their inoculation programmes around these vaccines, the gap could have a profound impact on the course of the pandemic...

The Chinese vaccines Sinopharm and Sinovac — which make up almost half of all shots delivered globally — offer almost zero protection from Omicron infection. The great majority of people in China have received these shots, which are also widely used in low- and middle-income countries, such as Mexico and Brazil.

A preliminary effectiveness study in Britain found that the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine showed no ability to stop Omicron infection six months after vaccination. Ninety per cent of vaccinated people in India received this shot, under the brand name Covishield; it has also been widely used across much of sub-Saharan Africa, where COVAX, the global Covid-19 vaccine programme, has distributed 67 million doses of it to 44 countries.

Researchers predict that Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine, which is also being used in Africa and Latin America, will show similarly dismal rates of protection against Omicron.

Demand for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine had been surging in Africa, because its single-shot delivery regimen makes it easy to deliver in low-resource settings. But it too has shown a negligible ability to block Omicron infection.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Only Pfizer and Moderna WITH A BOOSTER appear to have any efficacy against Omicron infection...
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 19, 2021 06:15PM
"All vaccines still seem to provide a significant degree of protection against serious illness from Omicron"

This is not ideal, of course, but quoting for emphasis.

Re: Only Pfizer and Moderna WITH A BOOSTER appear to have any efficacy against Omicron infection...
Date: December 19, 2021 06:22PM
Acer
"All vaccines still seem to provide a significant degree of protection against serious illness from Omicron"

50% of people who get COVID will experience "long-COVID" symptoms for months afterwards and potentially for the rest of their lives.

No, not ideal.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 19, 2021 06:48PM
What about j&j followed by moderna booster?

Date: December 19, 2021 06:53PM
mattkime

...Which is my situation.

Nobody seems to be looking at that scenario in the lab.

Posted by: testcase
Date: December 19, 2021 07:50PM
My two primary vaccines were Moderna. Earlier this month, I opted for a Pfizer booster. I have NO idea now where I stand (and I doubt the "experts" would know more). confused smiley
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 19, 2021 08:02PM
I have all three Moderna shots, but the booster was half-strength. Does anyone know if that matters?
Posted by: Wags
Date: December 19, 2021 09:08PM
I think I'll get another Pfizer booster, its been a couple months. Maybe I should get the Moderna booster this time.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: December 19, 2021 09:24PM
Sarcany
Acer

50% of people who get COVID will experience "long-COVID" symptoms for months afterwards and potentially for the rest of their lives.

No, not ideal.

No, it isn't, but on the other hand, there's some initial data to suggest that those vaccinated who get breakthrough infections, the vaccination is also helping to: A) prevent the long COVID symptoms; and B) if they do occur, to make them less severe and not so long lasting.

Sarcany
mattkime

...Which is my situation.

Nobody seems to be looking at that scenario in the lab.

Nor the scenario in my case. grinning smiley

... I think it's likely that an Omicron-specific booster will help a lot, but even without, we'll still have drugs to interfere with the viral pathway inside cells, as well as already-preexisting drugs that might help with treatment.

Edit, oh, and remember this slide from Fauci's talk? It is a little reassuring:

... so yeah, get your boosters, people!

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2021 09:29PM by PeterB.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: December 19, 2021 11:54PM
Thanks!
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 20, 2021 08:48AM
Acer

^this

No, not ideal. But it’ll keep you out of the hospital, and alive.

Almost all the time.
Posted by: bfd
Date: December 20, 2021 11:19AM
First World Problems…

The rest of the world is stuck with the Chinese and Russian vaccines, which appear to have little to no efficacy …

"I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know my vaccine is free!" (and it works, too)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 20, 2021 02:22PM
bfd
First World Problems…

The rest of the world is stuck with the Chinese and Russian vaccines, which appear to have little to no efficacy …

Exactly.

I'm concerned about my family in Honduras, they all managed to get shots but with one of the Chinese vaccines. One of my brothers-in-law is currently battling Hemorrhagic Dengue and two uncles have compromised immune systems due to cancer.

I wish we could ship all the vaccines not being used by the idiots here to places that would appreciate it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Ted King
Date: December 20, 2021 02:25PM
Ombligo

I'm concerned about my family in Honduras, they all managed to get shots but with one of the Chinese vaccines. One of my brothers-in-law is currently battling Hemorrhagic Dengue and two uncles have compromised immune systems due to cancer.

I wish we could ship all the vaccines not being used by the idiots here to places that would appreciate it.

I hope they find a way to stay safe.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: bfd
Date: December 20, 2021 06:12PM
Ted King
Ombligo

I hope they find a way to stay safe.

Indeed. Hopefully they can avoid this, but as family, it's probably still very, very unsettling for you! It's an awful and helpless feeling. Hoping for the best.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 69
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020