advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Corporate donations to Sen. Joe Manchin’s PAC surged as he fought President Biden’s agenda (vile)
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 22, 2021 06:10PM
Corporate donations to Sen. Joe Manchin’s PAC surged as he fought President Biden’s agenda
[www.cnbc.com]

+Sen. Joe Manchin’s PAC saw a surge in corporate contributions this fall before his decision to oppose President Biden’s $1.75 trillion social and climate legislation.

+The political action committee received 17 contributions in October and 19 last month, according to a CNBC analysis of Federal Election Commission filings.

+Corporations, business leaders and groups have pressured Manchin to oppose the agenda since the Democrats gained a slight majority in the Senate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Corporate donations to Sen. Joe Manchin’s PAC surged as he fought President Biden’s agenda (vile)
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 22, 2021 06:16PM
It doesn't matter. Here's the real problem. He's the only human that can be in his position as a Democrat. If congress flips Republican, we'll need him engaged because Joe will soon be impeached and the Senate will 100% convict him.

Republicans sit back laughing at Democrats on full attack against one another.
Re: Corporate donations to Sen. Joe Manchin’s PAC surged as he fought President Biden’s agenda (vile)
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 22, 2021 06:48PM
When the largest coal miner's union in the state says he messed up, it's not just Dems attacking one another.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: December 22, 2021 06:53PM
Filliam H. Muffman
When the largest coal miner's union in the state says he messed up, it's not just Dems attacking one another.

Democrats are ALWAYS under attack. Never-ending. I only care about us.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 22, 2021 08:16PM
vision63
It doesn't matter. Here's the real problem. He's the only human that can be in his position as a Democrat. If congress flips Republican, we'll need him engaged because Joe will soon be impeached and the Senate will 100% convict him.

For a president to be impeached, there needs to be a majority vote in favor of in the HoR and a two-thirds vote in the Senate. I don't see Biden getting impeached.

It is what it is.
Posted by: steve...
Date: December 22, 2021 09:47PM
Might be a good time to upgrade the Maserati and yacht.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 22, 2021 10:23PM
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63

For a president to be impeached, there needs to be a majority vote in favor of in the HoR and a two-thirds vote in the Senate. I don't see Biden getting impeached.

Maybe by the next Congress?
Date: December 22, 2021 10:46PM
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63

As of today, the Democrats hold an 8 seat majority with one vacant (Alcee Hasting's seat that DeSantis is purposely keeping empty). In 1994 Democrats lost 52 seats in those midterm elections. The lost 11 seats in 2020. They didn't "think" they would. But they did.

In the Senate, we picked up 4 crucial seats and lost 3 (I believe). We don't know how that's gonna go. We can triumph, or we disaster can strike.

You have to game plan for the worst. That sets your agenda and the way you behave in the interim.

These are extraordinary times. I believe in infighting after you've secured the democracy.

Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: December 23, 2021 07:54AM
Our system is corrupt and broken.
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 23, 2021 09:48AM
Well the party that doesn’t hold the presidency traditionally loses seats in the first mid-term. So I wouldn’t be surprised if the House flipped. And the Senate is so close, it could go either way.

Which means, if we want to get anything done, it needs to be this next year. Dems may well “lose” the next election, but shying away from action is a sure recipe for losing the election, and getting none of your priorities passed.

And despite what Republicans want you to believe, most of the things in BBB are popular ideas. And tax cuts for rich folks are not.

So keep pushing. This is our time to govern. Let’s do so.
Date: December 23, 2021 10:48AM
And despite what Republicans want you to believe, most of the things in BBB are popular ideas. And tax cuts for rich folks are not.

In a recent interview McConnell declared that his number one priority was to protect the tax cuts. Ya think he was maybe priming the contribution pipeline while directing that same pipeline away from the party in power?
Date: December 23, 2021 04:30PM
pdq
Well the party that doesn’t hold the presidency traditionally loses seats in the first mid-term. So I wouldn’t be surprised if the House flipped. And the Senate is so close, it could go either way.

Which means, if we want to get anything done, it needs to be this next year. Dems may well “lose” the next election, but shying away from action is a sure recipe for losing the election, and getting none of your priorities passed.

Down inside, I think Democrats are gonna buck convention and retain both houses. I think the rank and file are going to understand the dire stakes, the lost opportunities, the voter suppression and turn out as a massive, overwhelming force come November. In numbers too large to manipulate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2021 04:30PM by vision63.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 23, 2021 11:03PM
vision63
pdq

Down inside, I think Democrats are gonna buck convention and retain both houses. I think the rank and file are going to understand the dire stakes, the lost opportunities, the voter suppression and turn out as a massive, overwhelming force come November. In numbers too large to manipulate.

Nope, not going to happen. The Dems won the presidency in a great turnout year but lost seats in the House in 2020 which shouldn’t have happened.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: December 24, 2021 12:23AM
Speedy
vision63
pdq

Nope, not going to happen. The Dems won the presidency in a great turnout year but lost seats in the House in 2020 which shouldn’t have happened.

But you know why it happened. The candidates that lost complain about why. There are a lot of pickup opportunities out there. So, we'll see.
A treatise on what intitutional corruption produces
Date: December 24, 2021 12:38AM
Our government leaders are bought through campaign "contributions", the leader of the House says it's only appropriate that she and other politicos should be able to profit from the system. We are living in a country governed by corruption.

A long game look at what that has historically meant.

Where it leads will depend on our ability to change course and convince people government can work for the many instead of the few.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: December 24, 2021 03:44AM
Speedy
vision63
pdq

I agree with Speedy, not gonna happen. Unless the voter rights legislation get enacted, then maybe. But otherwise? Not a chance, seeing that 19 red states have enacted voter suppression laws. If the voting rights bills don't happen, you can kiss democracy goodbye as we are going to become a one-party system.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Date: December 24, 2021 01:19PM
Sam3
Speedy
vision63
pdq

I agree with Speedy, not gonna happen. Unless the voter rights legislation get enacted, then maybe. But otherwise? Not a chance, seeing that 19 red states have enacted voter suppression laws. If the voting rights bills don't happen, you can kiss democracy goodbye as we are going to become a one-party system.

I'm not concerned about "voter suppression." It suppresses everyone's vote. I'm concerned about legislations and Secy's of State compromising county election boards. That's where the "rigging" will happen. That's why you need a massive number of voters.
Date: December 24, 2021 01:30PM
Disagree. Dems and independents have historically been more casual voters than have been Republicans. Casual voters don't or wont jump through extra hoops the way Repubs will.
Date: December 24, 2021 03:50PM
RgrF
Disagree. Dems and independents have historically been more casual voters than have been Republicans. Casual voters don't or wont jump through extra hoops the way Repubs will.

Yes, but that wasn't true in 2018 when the House flipped 41 seats. It also wasn't true in 2020. Both sides turned out in droves. Dems turned out more.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020