advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Rapid tests produce more false negatives for Omicron
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 29, 2021 03:33PM
The still-image from the video at the top of the page is perfect.

[wtop.com]

Rapid COVID-19 home tests are more likely to give a false negative with the heavily-mutated Omicron variant compared to earlier strains, the Food and Drug Administration said Tuesday.

The news comes as the country is facing a massive surge in cases that experts say is being under-captured as a result of a testing crunch, with long wait times for the more accurate PCR tests, and home kits in extremely short supply.

In a statement, the FDA said it was collaborating with the National Institutes of Health to study the performance of home tests, also known as “antigen” tests, against patient samples containing live versions of the Omicron variant.

“Early data suggests that antigen tests do detect the Omicron variant but may have reduced sensitivity,” the agency said...

The FDA said it would continue to authorize the use of antigen tests — which work by detecting surface proteins of the coronavirus — and that individuals should continue to use them in accordance with their instructions...

If a person tests negative with a rapid test but is thought likely to have COVID, either because of symptoms or their exposures, it is still recommended that they get a “gold standard” molecular test — such as PCR.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Rapid tests produce more false negatives for Omicron
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 29, 2021 10:56PM
I won’t dispute that despite ours being spot-on.

Because I also did a PCR at home (both on Monday) was able to compare methods. The PCR was simpler — drop sample into tube —- but the packing more complex since it needed to be shipped off. The antigen was more complex —- add droplets to pad, insert/turn sample etc —- but “after” requires only tossing it.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 29, 2021 11:40PM
Right. And if a positive comes up, you'll have go get a pcr test any way. So.... Some folks are making sheetloads of money on these things for folks who are attempting to do the right thing or hypochondriac.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 30, 2021 06:17AM
They’re making money off people who would rather have “an answer” over “a correct answer” so that they don’t have to stop their lives. It’s the promise of, any answer is good enough coupled with a willingness to accept it. It’s a compromise but not a horrible one.

We just went through this. Daughter needed an answer from me on Monday because while she felt fine, a positive in the house meant she’d have to skip her team games. I took that test. My sister wanted her crew “to know” if they were positive and scrambled to find rapid tests.

Missing from all of this was the simple fact that you can just act like you have or they have Covid and quarantine or isolate. And wait for results to confirm it. But the risk of losing time and social participation —- especially if you find out later you “wasted your time over nothing” —- is seen as worse than the risk of the disease. And that is precisely how pandemics succeed.

And these rapid test results basically represent massive under - reporting. There’s no one really collecting that data.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020