advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
So, will omicron peak in mid-January. Some experts think so.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 31, 2021 09:04AM
[www.startribune.com]

We just postponed our trip south for a month, not so much for us but we thought we should stick close to home for our daughter who has a kidney transplant. She is double boosted and we are single boosted.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2021 09:08AM by Speedy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So, will omicron peak in mid-January. Some experts think so.
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 31, 2021 10:08AM
I think so, if not slightly before.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 31, 2021 11:03AM
Two weeks after the New Years Gatherings. seems about right.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: December 31, 2021 12:09PM
...a flash flood more than a wave....

"The South African government said Thursday that data from its health department suggested that the country had passed its Omicron peak without a major spike in deaths, offering cautious hope to other countries grappling with the variant.

“The speed with which the Omicron-driven fourth wave rose, peaked and then declined has been staggering,” said Fareed Abdullah of the South African Medical Research Council. “Peak in four weeks and precipitous decline in another two. This Omicron wave is over in the city of Tshwane. It was a flash flood more than a wave.” The rise in deaths over the period was small, and in the last week, officials said, “marginal.”
NY Times
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 31, 2021 12:30PM
I would put the peak maybe being a bit farther into the year, late January or early February. My reasoning is that is when the millions of students will have finished going back to their colleges and universities, spread COVID and other seasonal flus and colds to their fellow students and surrounding college town populations. They will continue the spread from all of the family get togethers for the holidays.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: December 31, 2021 12:30PM
Lemon Drop
...a flash flood more than a wave....

"The South African government said Thursday that data from its health department suggested that the country had passed its Omicron peak without a major spike in deaths, offering cautious hope to other countries grappling with the variant.

“The speed with which the Omicron-driven fourth wave rose, peaked and then declined has been staggering,” said Fareed Abdullah of the South African Medical Research Council. “Peak in four weeks and precipitous decline in another two. This Omicron wave is over in the city of Tshwane. It was a flash flood more than a wave.” The rise in deaths over the period was small, and in the last week, officials said, “marginal.”
NY Times

Let's hope so, but the issue there is that it's a very different demographic, where vaccination levels have been low because the vaccines haven't been available... and so the population has already been exposed to a number of different variants. And of course there could be genetically-based differences too.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 31, 2021 01:51PM
JoeH
I would put the peak maybe being a bit farther into the year, late January or early February. My reasoning is that is when the millions of students will have finished going back to their colleges and universities, spread COVID and other seasonal flus and colds to their fellow students and surrounding college town populations. They will continue the spread from all of the family get togethers for the holidays.

Not according to the most recent advice which is to isolate for 5 days instead of 10 days, because your infectious period is much shorter for this variant.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: December 31, 2021 02:07PM
Um. South Carolina cases today 8,882. 10% over prior record a year ago.

Dec. 21: 933 cases.

Director of SCDHEC, apparently unafraid of Ted Cruz, says don't go dancing tonight.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 31, 2021 02:17PM
JoeH

I think that we're going to see a "surge" from that, but fewer cases than the peak.

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: December 31, 2021 03:13PM
some articles are suggesting even-worse-than-before supply chain disruptions as well...better stock up now...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 01, 2022 06:04PM
Seems to be MASSIVELY more contagious than earlier variants, but not as virulent. The number of breakthroughs seems to be huge.
Posted by: stephen
Date: January 05, 2022 06:45PM
Local tire place called me yesterday evening and asked me to leave my car rather than wait during today's appointment because they were down to 3 installers.

By this morning, there were 2.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 05, 2022 08:02PM
California just extended it's indoor mask requirement to mid-February, the Grammy show was postponed and they're trying to figure out what to do about the Super Bowl so we're a long way from relief.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020