advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
personal: Library branch closed by Covid
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 03, 2022 10:42AM
'Closed until further notice due to staff members testing positive for COVID-19'

So much for picking up my requests. I'm going to have to travel to another library branch to return my stuff.

In transit to closed branch--Blu-ray of "No time to die" and 3 dvd's of "Newsradio" (with Joe Rogan, remember?).
No irony intended

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2022 10:42AM by Steve G..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: personal: Library branch closed by Covid
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 03, 2022 11:16AM
Omicron is everywhere.

All of the local Starbucks are closed.

The Taco Bell down the block is closed.

There aren't enough people reporting into the local grocery store to keep the shelves stocked, even if there were enough trucks coming in to keep the shelves stocked.

I drive past a walk-in clinic on my daily commute and errands. They close at 12pm on Sunday. There was a line that wrapped around the corner and went into the street at 3pm yesterday.

I've had 4 clients email me to notify me that their offices are closed due to COVID.

Two of my co-workers are out with COVID.

My brother (living in another state) has COVID.

Posted by: vision63
Date: January 03, 2022 11:45AM
Sarcany
Omicron is everywhere.

All of the local Starbucks are closed.

The Taco Bell down the block is closed.

There aren't enough people reporting into the local grocery store to keep the shelves stocked, even if there were enough trucks coming in to keep the shelves stocked.

I drive past a walk-in clinic on my daily commute and errands. They close at 12pm on Sunday. There was a line that wrapped around the corner and went into the street at 3pm yesterday.

I've had 4 clients email me to notify me that their offices are closed due to COVID.

Two of my co-workers are out with COVID.

My brother (living in another state) has COVID.

Wherever this is, stay the hell in the house bro.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 03, 2022 11:46AM
And it is life as normal where I'm at. I'm seeing no increase in masking, no lines for vax or testing, nothing closed. Schools start tomorrow with no masking and asymptomatic positives allowed to attend if parents wish.

The next month should be fun.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: mstudio
Date: January 03, 2022 12:26PM
I'm about 75 miles South of Ombligo and was happy to see all of the masks at the library, PO, UPS and Publix today.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: January 03, 2022 12:54PM
Ours requires a mask to enter.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 03, 2022 01:14PM
Libraries are so important to a community. Beyond books, they offer music and computers and job hunting assistance and research assistance and classes for all ages and somewhere safe for kids to visit. And more. Here's hoping your library can reopen soon.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 03, 2022 01:16PM
Went to the the City Central Library last month. 6 floors, 5 1/2 of them are closed for "renovations" and they working a skeleton crew. The check out desk and reference desk are open. Along with about 100 internet computers. They get cleaned daily.

So I order my book online and pick it up. No more browsing!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 03, 2022 02:47PM
Last Monday I got my booster shot.

Last Tuesday I was notified by my employer that I had been in close contact with another employee who subsequently tested positive.

Last Wednesday I was notified by a close friend whose family I had spent Christmas Eve with that he and his two sons tested positive.

Last Thursday I tested negative.

I must be doing something right.

(Also last Thursday, my employer requested that any employees who were able to work from home that day refrain from coming into the office. I was on vacation all last week and was able to ignore the request, but it's a clear indication of how bad things are getting)

It is what it is.
Date: January 03, 2022 02:50PM
$tevie
Libraries are so important to a community. Beyond books, they offer music and computers and job hunting assistance and research assistance and classes for all ages and somewhere safe for kids to visit. And more. Here's hoping your library can reopen soon.

I recently tried to donate a bunch of DVDs to my local library - I was told they are not currently accepting donations due to COVID.

My local branch has been reopened for some time now. So they happily check out and receive books on a daily basis... but they won't accept a one-time donation? Does this make sense to anybody?

It is what it is.
Date: January 03, 2022 02:53PM
N-OS X-tasy!
$tevie

I recently tried to donate a bunch of DVDs to my local library - I was told they are not currently accepting donations due to COVID.

My local branch has been reopened for some time now. So they happily check out and receive books on a daily basis... but they won't accept a one-time donation? Does this make sense to anybody?

Film of you ducking and dodging Covid:

Date: January 03, 2022 04:03PM
vision63
N-OS X-tasy!
$tevie

Amusing. Meant as a response to my post in the other COVID thread, perhaps?

It is what it is.
Date: January 03, 2022 07:04PM
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63
N-OS X-tasy!
$tevie

That's what you get from a product of the Los Angeles Unified School District.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 03, 2022 08:04PM
N-OS X-tasy!
$tevie

They may have enough staff to reopen the branch, but not the other staff needed to handle donations and add them to the collection. From working in the library I know it takes different skills and training.
Posted by: bfd
Date: January 03, 2022 08:05PM
Seems like a lot of people are deciding to keep their New Year's Day party going… and going … and going.
Posted by: Michael
Date: January 03, 2022 09:06PM
One of the oddest COVID things I've seen is that our public library has been closed to visitors since the pandemic started. They'll bring stuff to the door and hand it over but nobody except employees have been able to enter since this began. This is in GA where we only sorta shut down for some months.
Date: January 04, 2022 01:00AM
JoeH
N-OS X-tasy!
$tevie

They may have enough staff to reopen the branch, but not the other staff needed to handle donations and add them to the collection. From working in the library I know it takes different skills and training.

I got the impression it was more about donations potentially being contaminated, but perhaps you're right.

I'm going to try a different library.

It is what it is.
Date: January 04, 2022 01:02AM
vision63
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63
N-OS X-tasy!
$tevie

That's what you get from a product of the Los Angeles Unified School District.

Having worked there for a few years... I feel ya. Don't sell yourself short, though. smiling smiley

It is what it is.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 04, 2022 08:30AM
JoeH
N-OS X-tasy!
$tevie

In our library system, they stopped taking donations for a while because there was no reasonable way to store any items. Additionally, no public sales made it sort of a moot point. They have since begun online sales and will hopefully have in-person sales soon.
Posted by: bfd
Date: January 04, 2022 01:48PM
This would be a very tough one here in the far southwest corner if it were to occur right now. You see, the only place where one can actually find the home version of the much ballyhooed Covid Test is at the local libraries! Stroke of genius, politically, since the volume of traffic at the libraries has increased tenfold since just before Christmas. It's just what was needed to convince a few more of the naysayers that our libraries should not have hours cut to save money.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020