advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Christianity Today is very disturbed about the state of American evangelicalism on the aniv of Jan 6
Posted by: hal
Date: January 07, 2022 05:36PM
[www.christianitytoday.com]

A year has passed since the January 6 insurrectionist attack on the United States Capitol, and two images still haunt my mind. One is that of a makeshift gallows constructed to threaten the murder of the vice president of the United States. And the other is that of a sign, held above that angry crowd, that read, “Jesus Saves.” That these two images can coexist in the same mob is a sign of crisis for American evangelicalism.

Some might dismiss the Christian symbols at the insurrection—not only signs but prayers “in Jesus’ name” right next to a horn-wearing shaman in the well of the evacuated US Senate. And some might wave away the evangelicals who falsely claimed in the days afterward that it had been a crowd of antifa activists, not people from the rally at which the then–President of the United States incited the mob to march to the Capitol.

And yet, survey after survey shows that alarming numbers of white evangelicals believe the lie behind the attack—that the 2020 election had been stolen by a vast left-wing conspiracy that somehow included the conservative Republican governors and election officials in Georgia and Arizona.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Christianity Today is very disturbed about the state of American evangelicalism on the aniv of Jan 6
Posted by: Ammo
Date: January 07, 2022 05:46PM
These christians are putting the Devil out of work.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Re: Christianity Today is very disturbed about the state of American evangelicalism on the aniv of Jan 6
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 07, 2022 06:03PM
people misunderstand why most people are into religion; it's not for the message, and it's certainly not for love, it's to be a member of a tribe. What the tribe believes, the supporter will believe.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 07, 2022 09:18PM
This is what makes me so cynical of so called "Christians" The Bible says God loves everyone. How is that so hard to understand?

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Wags
Date: January 07, 2022 09:47PM
Lord, save me from your followers.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 07, 2022 10:39PM
mrbigstuff
people misunderstand why most people are into religion; it's not for the message, and it's certainly not for love, it's to be a member of a tribe. What the tribe believes, the supporter will believe.

exactly!

Years ago my wife asked me if we should join a church so that we'd have a community.

For @#$%&'s sake I can go to a Starbucks and get community.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: January 08, 2022 04:37AM
Racer X
This is what makes me so cynical of so called "Christians" The Bible says God loves everyone. How is that so hard to understand?

Actually there is a lot of violence, smiting, stoning, bigotry, intolerance and more.

Paul
Posted by: Spock
Date: January 08, 2022 01:27PM
Obligatory President Bartlet :-

[www.youtube.com]

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2022 01:28PM by Spock.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: January 08, 2022 02:59PM
Spock
Obligatory President Bartlet :-

[www.youtube.com]

smiley-score010

Date: January 08, 2022 04:16PM
voodoopenguin
Racer X

Actually there is a lot of violence, smiting, stoning, bigotry, intolerance and more.

Paul

That's all old testament stuff I thought. Mom and grandpa where the ministers, not me. Now, if my aunt reads this, I'll be back in Sunday School with the 5 year olds.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2022 04:19PM by Racer X.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: January 08, 2022 04:44PM
Racer X
voodoopenguin

Paul

That's all old testament stuff I thought. Mom and grandpa where the ministers, not me. Now, if my aunt reads this, I'll be back in Sunday School with the 5 year olds.

So is the Old Testament to be ignored?

Paul
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 08, 2022 04:55PM
Racer X

That's all old testament stuff I thought.

Tell that to the hundreds thousands of Jews who were tortured and murdered over 2000 years by the followers of 'The Prince of Peace'.

On March 16th 1190 a wave of anti-Semitic riots culminated in the massacre of an estimated 150 Jews – the entire Jewish community of York – who had taken refuge in the royal castle where Clifford’s Tower now stands.

Anti-Semitic feeling was running high throughout western Europe in the twelfth century, stoked by the Christian fervour of the Crusades, that directed aggression against Jews across England, France and Germany, as well as against Muslims in the Holy Land. England’s new king Richard I was about to set off on Crusade himself. Rioting had spread throughout England since prominent Jews, including Benedict of York, had been denied entry to King Richard I’s coronation banquet in 1189. Benedict was the wealthiest Jew of York and he was mortally wounded in the rioting at Westminster.

After rioting had engulfed the towns of Norwich, Stamford and Lincoln they began in York with a mob attempting to burn down Benedict’s palatial house. The Jews were officially protected by the king as his feudal vassals and sought protection in the royal castle, barricading themselves into the wooden keep. The rioters, meanwhile, were egged on by members of the local gentry called Richard Malebisse, William Percy, Marmeduke Darell and Philip de Fauconberg. These men saw the riots as an opportunity to wipe out the extensive debts they owed to Jewish money-lenders in the city. These men had borrowed heavily from Jewish money-lenders but had failed to secure lucrative royal appointments and so could not afford to repay their debts. Indeed, after the massacre they proceeded to burn the records of their debts held in the Minster, so absolving themselves from repayment to the king, who would acquire the property and debts owed to the murdered Jews.

The Jews in the keep, fearing treachery, locked out the royal constable, who then demanded the castle be captured by force. As a group of knights arrived to attack the castle, supported by siege engines a fiery hermit who had been inciting the mob was killed by a falling stone. This event further incensed the angry crowd, baying for Jewish blood.

Seeing no way out to safety most of the Jews chose to commit suicide in the keep. The alternatives were to renounce their faith and surrender to forced baptism or death at the hands of the mob. They were led by the wealthy Jew Josce and Rabbi Yomtob, a noted scholar, who had come to York from Joigny in France. After killing their wives and children they set fire to the wooden keep and killed themselves.

A few Jews refused the option of suicide, but it seems their fate was no better, dying either in the fire, or murdered by the rioters. The blackened remains of the fire were uncovered in excavations at Clifford’s Tower in the 20th century. From the ashes of that fire the present stone keep of Clifford’s Tower was constructed. The events at York were an affront to the dignity and authority of King Richard and so a royal inquest was held soon afterwards. This resulted in the city receiving a heavy fine, but by that time the instigators had escaped and no individuals were ever punished for the crimes committed on that fateful night. Probably some of them joined the King himself on crusade, as he was by then en route to the Holy Land through France.

The massacre of 1190 was a horrific catalogue of violence and murder driven by religious intolerance and the greed of those who owed the leading Jewish money-lenders money. And it was sadly only one of countless incidents of mob-violence against Jewish communities across England and Western Europe in the Middle Ages.
Date: January 08, 2022 05:16PM
voodoopenguin
Racer X
voodoopenguin

Paul

Paul

No, but maybe God had a change of heart with his kid's birth? I choose to believe this wink smileyuntil he tells me otherwise

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2022 05:16PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 08, 2022 06:05PM
voodoopenguin

Yes.

Except for that one part in Leviticus.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 08, 2022 07:08PM
Racer X

No, but maybe God had a change of heart with his kid's birth? I choose to believe this wink smileyuntil he tells me otherwise

sure...all that Christian Purity of Heart resonates through the ages.

The Edict of Expulsion was a royal decree issued by King Edward I of England on 18 July 1290 expelling all Jews from the Kingdom of England. Edward advised the sheriffs of all counties he wanted all Jews expelled by no later than All Saints' Day (1 November) that year. The expulsion edict remained in force for the rest of the Middle Ages. The edict was not an isolated incident, but the culmination of over 200 years of increasing antisemitism in England. The edict was eventually overturned more than 350 years later, during the Protectorate when Oliver Cromwell permitted Jews to return to settle in England in 1657
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 08, 2022 09:23PM
voodoopenguin
Racer X
voodoopenguin

Paul

Paul

I'm with Richard Dawkins on this, why take a chance on only one book when you can safely ignore both.
Date: January 08, 2022 10:17PM
I'm no expert on religion, by anybodies definition. I figure just treat everyone decently.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 09, 2022 10:27AM
Racer X
voodoopenguin
Racer X

Paul

My observation has been that many of the reactionary/conservative "christians" / evangelicals are big on Old Testament passages as interpreted for them to push their points of view on others and use against them. Many of these sects started with with a solid base in antisemitism as well. They conveniently ignore much of the New Testament passages which essentially say this is the new pact with god, those old practices should be over.
Posted by: Spock
Date: January 09, 2022 01:42PM
Old Religeon

New Religion

Same S#it, different hats.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 10, 2022 07:08AM
Spock
New Religion

Same S#it, different hats.

Ah! That’s a high priest of pastafarianism.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 10, 2022 11:41AM
Racer X
I'm no expert on religion, by anybodies definition. I figure just treat everyone decently.

Don't be a dick.

Live and let live.

Do unto others, etc.

Seems pretty simple. But when you bring organized religion into it, it gets all F'd up.
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 10, 2022 12:00PM
China is dicking the Uyghurs, what religion is the Chinese government representing? Putin's preparing to dick it up in Eastern Europe, right now, what religion is he forwarding? What religion is the Myanmar junta?

Organized anything can F it up. A Holy Book is helpful, but not necessary. If a group in power wants to dick, they use whatever is at hand--religious, political, Home Owners Associations, etc. We must be vigilant for organized dicking at all times.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2022 12:04PM by Acer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020