advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Three comments seen about Horrible NYC fire
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 10, 2022 09:25AM
At least 19 people, including nine children, were killed in a five-alarm fire that broke out Sunday in a high-rise apartment building in the Bronx, the mayor's office said. As many as 66 people were reported injured in the fire, which city officials called one of the most devastating in New York City's history. Nigro later said the cause of the fire appeared to be from a space heater that had malfunctioned.

comments
"No heat or hot water indicated in some complaints. that's probably why tenants were using space heater to begin with. it's inexcusable that landlords get away with no heat or hot water issues. and they get away with it. all. of. the. time."
-------------------

"Heat complaints in the building just a few weeks ago. You can bet if tenants in one apartment complained, it was a problem in the building. This is why people use space heaters - and that is why these types of fires occur. Heat problems in buildings throughout the Bronx are very common. And they'll blame the tenants. The landlords never suffer for it. Violations sit uncorrected for years in HPD's database."
----------------

"The building is owned by a group of investors, including Camber Property Group, who bought it as part of a $166 million deal in 2020. Camber’s co-founder is Rick Gropper, who was named to Mayor Adams’s transition team"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2022 09:26AM by Steve G..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Three comments seen about Horrible NYC fire
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 10, 2022 10:08AM
Steve G.
"The building is owned by a group of investors, including Camber Property Group, who bought it as part of a $166 million deal in 2020. Camber’s co-founder is Rick Gropper, who was named to Mayor Adams’s transition team"

So the fix is in. I’m betting this will be one of the more corrupt administrations this century.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 10, 2022 10:18AM
slumlords are still endemic in every city and town. As long as bureaucracies can be bought out, people will continue to suffer and die. The penalty for bribery should be punitive and aggressive for the bribers and the bribed. Jail time should ensue. Because otherwise it's just a "Cost of doing business".
Date: January 10, 2022 12:06PM
Speedy
So the fix is in. I’m betting this will be one of the more corrupt administrations this century.

So far I'm picking up lots of bad signals from this guy. Maybe being Brooklyn Borough president taught him the wrong lessons.
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 10, 2022 12:13PM
Steve G.
Speedy

So far I'm picking up lots of bad signals from this guy. Maybe being Brooklyn Borough president taught him the wrong lessons.

Interestingly, before this, the only bout of news I heard about the new mayor was him appointing his brother deputy police commissioner. Hmmm. Could be a Bobby Kennedy, could be a Billy Carter. Odds are not in favor.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 10, 2022 02:08PM
Speedy
Steve G.

Oh, so you probably haven't seen this yet, then: [www.reddit.com]

It is what it is.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: January 10, 2022 03:28PM
Speedy
Steve G.

Looks dicey.
  • Appointed Philip Banks, a long-time friend, as Deputy Mayor - alleged by the FBI to have been the recipient of $300k-$500k in bribes as an NYPD official.
  • Appointed David Banks, Philip Banks' younger brother, as Chancellor of Education ($345k+ salary)
  • Appointed Bernard Adams, his own younger brother, as NYPD Deputy Comissioner ($240k+ salary)

Copied this from u/realwitty

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2022 03:29PM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 10, 2022 04:19PM
cbelt3
slumlords are still endemic in every city and town. As long as bureaucracies can be bought out, people will continue to suffer and die. The penalty for bribery should be punitive and aggressive for the bribers and the bribed. Jail time should ensue. Because otherwise it's just a "Cost of doing business".

Absolutely. If the penalty is less than the profit, its just an expense.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: gabester
Date: January 11, 2022 09:03AM
OT: all you need to know about incoming NYC mayor Adams is he's a bitcoin huckster.

A government leader has no grounds to advocate for a payment "system" that allows circumvention of government monitoring of said payments and is predominantly used for illegal activity (and "investing").

It's hard not to feel the previous presidential administration may have in fact been a false flag after all, establishing the framework for wholesale disassembly of our government systems at all levels and regardless of the politics involved.

These people suffered a tragedy that was entirely preventable if the system was working as it was intended to, and the people on duty to ensure the system was working as intended were held accountable.

g=
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 11, 2022 06:16PM
The cause of the blaze was a space heater that had been left on for several days inside the unit where the fire started.
Date: January 11, 2022 06:37PM
Lemon Drop
The cause of the blaze was a space heater that had been left on for several days inside the unit where the fire started.

perhaps because the landlord was providing NO HEAT?
Date: January 11, 2022 07:06PM
Steve G.
Lemon Drop

perhaps because the landlord was providing NO HEAT?

"The heat was on in the building. This (the space heater) was being used to supplement the building heat. There were smoke alarms throughout the building. The first call that came in was due to a neighbor hearing the smoke alarm and looking and seeing the smoke and calling," he said.

When residents left the fiery unit, the apartment door was left open, allowing the blaze to spread, Nigro said. The fire was contained to that hallway, but the smoke traveled upwards and took over much of the building. The doors were supposed to close automatically, but the apartment door as well as the door from the stairwell to the 15th floor were not functioning properly, Nigro said"
Date: January 11, 2022 10:22PM
So if the 'heat was on in the building', the folks were blasting a heater at Con Edison rates just for the hell of it?

In NYC, just because the furnace is technically on doesn't mean you have anything close to minimally adequate heat in your apartment.

I guess you're not from around here.
Date: January 12, 2022 07:49AM
Steve G.
So if the 'heat was on in the building', the folks were blasting a heater at Con Edison rates just for the hell of it?

In NYC, just because the furnace is technically on doesn't mean you have anything close to minimally adequate heat in your apartment.

You are arguing with a quote from NYC Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro. I'm pretty sure he is from around the there.
Posted by: Janit
Date: January 12, 2022 08:00AM
Lemon Drop
Steve G.

You are arguing with a quote from NYC Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro. I'm pretty sure he is from around the there.

The statement may have come from an official source, but that does not mean it is free of spin. It would not surprise me to hear that the building was non-compliant on several issues, and that ALL of them contributed to this disaster.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020