advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Are you doing anything about it?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 11, 2022 11:12PM
Poll
Are you doing anything about your politically driven outrage?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
20 votes were received.
I consume partisan media and donate time and money 2

10%
I consume partisan media and donate time but not money 0

0%
I consume partisan media and donate money but not time 2

10%
I consume partisan media and donate neither time nor money 3

15%
I don't consume partisan media and donate time and money 0

0%
I don't consume partisan media and donate time but not money 1

5%
I don't consume partisan media and donate money but not time 3

15%
I don't consume partisan media and donate neither time nor money 7

35%
What outrage? Everything is FINE! JUST FINE! 2

10%

or are you just sitting in your outrage?

Inspired by [www.vox.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2022 11:20PM by mattkime.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Are you doing anything about it?
Posted by: davester
Date: January 12, 2022 12:24AM
I hate to give money to political parties because it is all wasted on things like advertising and supporting politicians I may not agree with purely to fight politicians I feel are evil. It also comes out of the charity money that I donate to worthy causes like aid for those in need and environmental causes. However, at times (i.e. the last election cycle, the evil to be fought is so extreme that I must do it and I did it. The first time that I gave more than a token amount of money to political campaigns. Sadly, this may need to be repeated.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: gabester
Date: January 12, 2022 10:31AM
I object to the usage of "partisan media" - there's no such thing. To the extent the media is conveying facts it is reporting faithfully and following tenets of journalistic integrity, it is non-partisan. To the extent it is proffering opinion or selectively portraying facts it is propaganda. I consume facts and opinions. The facts carry greater weight than the opinions, and I generally prefer to avoid the opinions. I don't need to know that someone tweeted something or said something inciting (except to the extent that the statements are facts - that they were made.)

What I am outraged by to the point of exhaustion is seeing lying liars not suffer any consequences for their bilge, and worse, to be empowered by gaining hordes of ignorant followers who they can then monetize.

g=
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 12, 2022 01:15PM
gabester - I agree with you, and yet you can be certain that a consumer of partisan media is likely to see non partisan media as partisan. Well, at least if they're on a particular side.

That said, I'm curious how many people who claim they don't consume partisan media would have that claim questioned by someone else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2022 01:16PM by mattkime.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 12, 2022 02:53PM
I'm not trapped by outrage.

I VOTE ... and that puts me way ahead compared to most Americans.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020