advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Deltacron" ... likely a lab error, but...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: January 12, 2022 01:05PM
[www.cnbc.com]

... this is likely the result of a lab mixup, BUT... I don't see why it's so far-fetched to think that someone who's co-infected with both strains could end up producing a hybrid strain, with the contagiousness of Omicron and the severity/virulence of Delta. I think it's not a question of "if", but of "when".

It doesn't help that we still have so many unvaccinated; these folks are essentially acting as a reservoir/cooking pot for this virus.

At least one French virologist agrees with me: [www.france24.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Deltacron" ... likely a lab error, but...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 12, 2022 01:49PM
Mutations are continuing. Hopefully severity will continue to drop.
Posted by: abevilac
Date: January 12, 2022 03:43PM
Some see a death rate of ~2000 a day as bad, but I’m a glass half full kinda person and I see the ranks of Republican voters diminishing.
Posted by: gabester
Date: January 12, 2022 03:53PM
abevilac
Some see a death rate of ~2000 a day as bad, but I’m a glass half full kinda person and I see the ranks of Republican voters diminishing.

And yet... in urban areas, many PoC are not getting vaccinated due to trust / availability / access issues with the government's recommendations. I'd like to thing this is skewing the demographics but when the dust settles we may find it didn't play out the way we expected. Esp. since many of the deaths not counted as covid-connected may be from less well monitored demographics.

g=
Date: January 12, 2022 04:28PM
cbelt3
Mutations are continuing. Hopefully severity will continue to drop.

Right, but mutations can be funny things. Omicron is very highly mutated, suggesting that it originated in a host who had a persistent infection or who was co-infected with another virus. Such situations are likely to happen again, particularly in a country where a certain proportion of the population refuses to get vaccinated, so they're easily infected and may end up hospitalized with persistent, severe disease (does this sound familiar?). Or the other thing we have to now be concerned about ... that some of the animals that have been infected could pass it amongst themselves, where it gets mutated, and then eventually pass the mutated form back to us as humans (though I think this scenario is far less likely).

More about what we might expect next, here:

[www.vox.com]
[www.livescience.com]

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 12, 2022 05:09PM
What people fail to realize is that the next variant could be as contagious as omicron and as deadly as the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV), which has a 37% mortality rate.

Getting a mutation that is worse is just as likely as getting one that isn't - we've just been lucky.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: January 12, 2022 05:16PM
Ombligo
What people fail to realize is that the next variant could be as contagious as omicron and as deadly as the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV), which has a 37% mortality rate.

Getting a mutation that is worse is just as likely as getting one that isn't - we've just been lucky.

That was sort of my point ... that the mutations come up semi-randomly**, and it's kind of like a ticking time bomb that we're intentionally making more likely to go off, by virtue of providing a reservoir in which the virus can mutate more.

** I say semi-random because: 1) it's clear that some mutations are being selected for and against, for example mutations that allow for better binding of the spike protein to the ACE2 receptor; 2) the mutations may not really be random in that they may be getting picked up from other strains or even other viruses.

And hopefully the 37% mortality rate wouldn't be the same for SARS-CoV-2 because of the vaccines and treatments we now have, but of course that assumes that these would be effective against any new variant.

Date: January 12, 2022 05:44PM
PeterB
Ombligo

That was sort of my point ... that the mutations come up semi-randomly**

And hopefully the 37% mortality rate wouldn't be the same for SARS-CoV-2.

Hey let's not forget about ** engineered ** viruses. Entities seeking to bring an economic or political competitor like the United States to its knees could obviously build a "better" virus... perhaps one that such an entity could also vaccinate its own populace against.

Like I say, the thing to fear is not SARS-CoV-2 itself, but "COVIDBOLARRHEA-23" - my fictional but all too likely (given human nature) - entrant for a new era of biowarfare.

g=

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2022 05:46PM by gabester.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 12, 2022 05:53PM
Your enemies of the US list omitted the current day GOP, does that mean you still have hope for them?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 12, 2022 05:54PM
I ain't gonna worry until they start talking about an Optimus Prime strain.

It is what it is.
Date: January 12, 2022 06:00PM
RgrF
Your enemies of the US list omitted the current day GOP, does that mean you still have hope for them?

No... I just don't think they're capable of the consistency they'd need to pursue to execute on it. DNA sequencing and bioengineering are tricky... they're be much more likely to bring us "THE STAND" than any effectively delivered bioweapon.

g=

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2022 06:01PM by gabester.
Date: January 12, 2022 09:08PM
Things are bad enough without bringing any bioengineered stuff (which SARS-CoV-2 is NOT) into the mix.

Germ warfare is the type of thing that, like dropping the A-bomb... there's no going back after that. And at least with the A-bomb, there's a potential limit to the devastation. Germ warfare, that'd probably be the effective end of the human race. Like a gun that simultaneously fires at the target and the owner.

Then again, Carl Sagan thought we'd finish ourselves off by about the 23rd century...

Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 12, 2022 09:20PM
Then again, Carl Sagan thought we'd finish ourselves off by about the 23rd century...

Carl was an optimist...
Date: January 13, 2022 07:52AM
RgrF

Carl was an optimist...

Carl was an optimist but also a realist, and damned if he wasn't prescient about humanity and where we'd be in the 21st century. I really miss him. [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 14, 2022 07:48AM
Well, one thing is clear: we're all going to die.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 138
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020