advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Schumer has a (possible) plan for passing voting rights
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 13, 2022 08:19AM
From Heather Cox Richardson:

This evening, Senate Majority Leader Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) announced that he would bring voting rights legislation to the Senate floor for debate—which Republicans have rejected—by avoiding a Republican filibuster through a complicated workaround. When the House and Senate disagree on a bill (which is almost always), they send it back and forth with revisions until they reach a final version. According to Democracy Docket, after it has gone back and forth three times, a motion to proceed on it cannot be filibustered. So, Democrats in the House are going to take a bill that has already hit the three-trip mark and substitute for that bill the Freedom to Vote Act and the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act. They’ll pass the combined bill and send it to the Senate, where debate over it can’t be filibustered.

Ultimately, it’ll still be up to Manchin and Sinema, but this approach at least puts those two on the spot; it operates under current filibuster rules, and if the bills get to a vote, they’ll have to explain why they voted against bills that at least Manchin says he supports (and is, in fact, a co-sponsor of, after the Dems revised the bill to his specific demands).*

I’m betting Manchin will come up with a reason why he’s tried - tried everything humanly possible! - to support these bills, but just can’t. Even a bill he co-sponsors and dictated the contents of.

——-

*From the Atlantic:

The truth is that the White House already has Manchin’s [supposed]support for voting rights. [In June, Manchin] warned that he would not support final passage of the bill, then known as the For the People Act, without major changes. So the Democrats agreed to major changes. In negotiations over the summer, they revised and pared down the measure to win Manchin’s backing. Gone are many of the original bill’s campaign-finance provisions, along with a requirement that states establish nonpartisan redistricting commissions. The new proposal, now called the Freedom to Vote Act, retains standards to combat new GOP state laws that restrict access to the ballot, and it includes new elements aimed at preventing Republican attempts to subvert elections after the polls close. This year alone, more than a dozen red states have passed laws that make voting harder.

Not only does Manchin support the Freedom to Vote Act—he’s a co-sponsor of the bill.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Schumer has a (possible) plan for passing voting rights
Posted by: Ted King
Date: January 13, 2022 08:34AM
pdq

I’m betting Manchin will come up with a reason why he’s tried - tried everything humanly possible! - to support these bills, but just can’t. Even a bill he co-sponsors and dictated the contents of.

That seems very likely to me. I think he will talk about how something so important needs to have bipartisan support and, darn, he's tried so hard to get bipartisan support but can't just yet. Just need a little more time. (I hope my skepticism about Manchin is wrong and I'll gladly eat crow if I am.)

I think that Schumer is doing this mostly to somewhat placate progressives who are very frustrated with Manchin (and probably a few other senators actually) who refuses to agree to a carve out of the filibuster for voting rights. As in Schumer can say - "at least I tried to do something".

e pluribus unum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2022 08:35AM by Ted King.
Date: January 13, 2022 08:44AM
Sadly, I’m afraid this is true.

Awaiting yet another goal-post moving by Manchin. He’s worse than a Republican.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 13, 2022 09:07AM
I remind you that this is because the Republicans are ALL trying to stop your voting rights.

Traitors
Date: January 13, 2022 03:12PM
It now looks like this maneuver was sufficient to get the bills to the Senate floor, but apparently cannot be used to end debate and vote (or as put elsewhere, to circumvent a “final filibuster”.

So that may be it, with Sinema publicly clutching her pearls today, saying she very much supports the bills and voting rights, but cannot fathom lifting a finger to get it to a vote because that would be partisan.

RollingEyesSmiley5
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 13, 2022 04:36PM
Doesn't she get credit for staying bought?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 14, 2022 11:05AM
There appears to be no end to people wishing others would do right.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 14, 2022 11:08AM
They should be exposing the Republicans for their massive sabotage.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 14, 2022 07:28PM
Steve G.
They should be exposing the Republicans for their massive sabotage.

I honestly think about half the country suspects it anyway, and maybe another 30% don't care.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020