Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Oath Keepers leader, 10 others charged in seditious plot to breach U.S. Capitol
Posted by: hal
Date: January 13, 2022 01:24PM
FINALLY!

[www.cnbc.com]

Federal authorities charged Stewart Rhodes, the leader and founder of the extremist far-right Oath Keepers militia, and 10 other people with seditious conspiracy and other crimes for their alleged roles in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

An indictment alleges that after the November 2020 presidential election, Rhodes and others conspired to oppose by force the transfer of presidential power from then-President Donald Trump to Joe Biden, which included plans to breach and try to take control of the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.

The conspiracy allegedly involved the amassing of firearms on the outskirts of Washington, D.C, and distribution to so-called quick reaction force teams to support the effort to keep Trump in office.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Oath Keepers leader, 10 others charged in seditious plot to breach U.S. Capitol
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 13, 2022 01:53PM
FINALLY!
Re: Oath Keepers leader, 10 others charged in seditious plot to breach U.S. Capitol
Date: January 13, 2022 02:00PM
Federal prosecutors have charged the founder of the Oath Keepers and 10 other members of the far-right militia group with seditious conspiracy for their role in the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol riot, the Justice Department announced Thursday.

Stewart Rhodes, 56, was arrested Thursday in Little Elm, Texas, and also faces charges for crimes related to the breach of the U.S. Capitol.

The Oath Keepers leader and founder has said he was present at the riot but never entered the Capitol. But members of the group were seen donning paramilitary gear and using a military formation to pass through crowds and enter the Capitol.

“The seditious conspiracy indictment alleges that, following the Nov. 3, 2020, presidential election, Rhodes conspired with his co-defendants and others to oppose by force the execution of the laws governing the transfer of presidential power by Jan. 20, 2021,” Justice Department wrote in a release.

“Beginning in late December 2020, via encrypted and private communications applications, Rhodes and various co-conspirators coordinated and planned to travel to Washington, D.C., on or around Jan. 6, 2021, the date of the certification of the electoral college vote, the indictment alleges. Rhodes and several co-conspirators made plans to bring weapons to the area to support the operation. The co-conspirators then traveled across the country to the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area in early January 2021.”

The indictment released on Thursday contains the first seditious conspiracy charges that have been brought in connection with the riot. The charge carries a maximum possible sentence 20 years in prison for anyone found guilty of conspiring to use force “to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States.”

In the indictment released Thursday, prosecutors say that Rhodes coordinated with members of the right-wing militia group to travel to D.C. for the “Stop the Steal” rally on Jan. 6. In the weeks following the 2020 election, Rhodes allegedly vowed in private conversations to use force if President Biden were sworn into office.

"We aren't getting through this without a civil war. Too late for that. Prepare your mind, body, spirit," he wrote in an encrypted message to other Oath Keepers in November 2020.

Prosecutors said Rhodes also held a meeting with other Oath Keepers leaders in which he “outlined a plan to stop the lawful transfer of presidential power, including preparations for the use of force, and urged those listening to participate.”

In another message to his co-defendants on Dec. 31, 2020, Rhodes allegedly wrote, “There is no standard political or legal way out of this."

Over the next two days, according to the indictment, Rhodes spent $5,000 on firearms and gun equipment. The week before, he bought two “night vision devices” and a weapon sight for $7,000.

Prosecutors say that Rhodes helped organize the Oath Keepers who traveled to D.C. into separate military-style formations; two “stacks” marched on and breached the Capitol and an armed “quick reaction force” waited in the wings outside the city.

In the days after Jan. 6, according to the indictment, Rhodes spent about $17,500 on firearms components, ammunition and other equipment.
Date: January 13, 2022 02:20PM
In addition to Rhodes and Vallejo, those named in the indictment include nine previously charged defendants: Thomas Caldwell, 67, of Berryville, Virginia; Joseph Hackett, 51, of Sarasota, Florida; Kenneth Harrelson, 41, of Titusville, Florida; Joshua James, 34, of Arab, Alabama; Kelly Meggs, 52, of Dunnellon, Florida; Roberto Minuta, 37, of Prosper, Texas ; David Moerschel, 44, of Punta Gorda, Florida; Brian Ulrich, 44, of Guyton, Georgia, and Jessica Watkins, 39, of Woodstock, Ohio. In addition to the earlier charges filed against them, they now face additional counts for seditious conspiracy and other offenses.
Date: January 13, 2022 02:35PM
a setback for DC Tourism?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 13, 2022 02:54PM
The wheels turn slowly, but they turn.

DOJ doesn't bring a case until they are 99% sure they'll win.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 13, 2022 03:37PM
What did Trump know and when did he know it?

[edit] they had 'all access' passes...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2022 03:39PM by hal.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: January 13, 2022 03:42PM
Edit: Oops, hal beat me to it. I'll leave this just to reinforce the question - what is the connection between Trump, Stone and the Oath Keepers?

Top: January 5th, Oath Keepers guarding Roger Stone

Bottom: January 6th, Oath Keepers participating on attack of Capital

Roger Stone is a real good lackey pal of Trump's. Just sayin'.

e pluribus unum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2022 03:44PM by Ted King.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 13, 2022 04:31PM
Virtually all southerners, what was the chant - THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN?
Date: January 13, 2022 06:46PM
RgrF
Virtually all southerners, what was the chant - THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN?

A bad take that is inaccurate and misses the big problem we have with paramilitary, right wing extremists like Oath Keepers.

In addition to their anti=government ideology, what they have in common is being white males, mostly from military and law enforcement backgrounds.

They originally chartered in Nevada, and have chapters in Indiana, Pennsylvania and other states. The 5000+ members live all over the country.

Geography is not the tie that binds, it is ideology.
Date: January 13, 2022 07:43PM
Ari Melber on MSNBC gives a good look at Rhodes's history and what he has said he stands for (video is 8:47 long):

[www.youtube.com]

A couple things that stuck out to me - Melber quotes Rhodes from when Obama was elected to show that racism was the primary impetus for him to start the Oath Keepers. He also points out that Rhodes's rhetoric about what the government under Obama was doing changed when Trump actually did the same sorts of things he claimed Obama was doing (but wasn't actually doing for the most part).

e pluribus unum
Date: January 14, 2022 06:58AM
Ted King
Ari Melber on MSNBC gives a good look at Rhodes's history and what he has said he stands for (video is 8:47 long):

[www.youtube.com]

A couple things that stuck out to me - Melber quotes Rhodes from when Obama was elected to show that racism was the primary impetus for him to start the Oath Keepers. He also points out that Rhodes's rhetoric about what the government under Obama was doing changed when Trump actually did the same sorts of things he claimed Obama was doing (but wasn't actually doing for the most part).

Good video. I'm so thankful that Rhodes has been arrested.

The genesis of his dangerous ideology and the thing that bonds him with Trump is a hatred of Hillary Clinton, with a big dose of fascism and embrace of conspiracy theories. Rhodes has bought into the Deep State/China conspiracy theories, and associates Clinton, Obama and Biden with all of that. He has been described as a Republican operative.

Rhodes is from California, went to UNLV and Yale Law. Worked for Ron Paul, clerked with an Arizona court, dedicated gun nut. Not a son of the Southeast.

"For Rhodes and the Oath Keepers, support for Trump — who once claimed that his authority was "total" and whom they initially viewed skeptically — followed a conspiratorial arc in which preparing for confrontation with the government eventually gave way to a more nativist focus on perceived threats to American values by leftist groups, the deep state and supposed foreign conspirators or global cabals.

"That process of falling in line behind Trump was in part because Trump's opponent was Hillary Clinton, and the Clinton name is so anathema to this broader movement," said Sam Jackson, who teaches at the College of Emergency Preparedness, Homeland Security and Cybersecurity at the State University of New York at Albany and wrote the 2020 book "Oath Keepers: Patriotism and the Edge of Violence in a Right-Wing Antigovernment Group."

"Another part is the group has some really virulent strains of Islamophobia and nativism and anti-immigrant sentiment," he said."

[www.nbcnews.com]

"How Rhodes, 55, went from being a libertarian former Arizona Supreme Court law clerk warning about federal tyranny to calling for the U.S. military to suppress resistance from U.S. citizens offers a window into the evolution of the anti-government groups that embraced Trump as an ally in their existential battle against the government he ran. Some of the groups are heavily armed, and members are being investigated over whether they had roles in the Capitol riot."

[www.splcenter.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2022 01:34PM by Lemon Drop.
Date: January 14, 2022 09:52AM
Lemon Drop
Ted King

[www.youtube.com]

Good video. I'm so thankful that Rhodes has been arrested.

The genesis of his dangerous ideology and the thing that bonds him with Trump is a hatred of Hillary Clinton, with a big dose of fascism and embrace of conspiracy theories. Rhodes has bought into the Deep State/China conspiracy theories, and associates Clinton, Obama and Biden with all of that. He has been described as a Republican operative.

Rhodes is from California, went to UNLV and Yale Law. Worked for Ron Paul, clerked with an Arizona, dedicated gun nut. Not a son of the Southeast.

"For Rhodes and the Oath Keepers, support for Trump — who once claimed that his authority was "total" and whom they initially viewed skeptically — followed a conspiratorial arc in which preparing for confrontation with the government eventually gave way to a more nativist focus on perceived threats to American values by leftist groups, the deep state and supposed foreign conspirators or global cabals.

"That process of falling in line behind Trump was in part because Trump's opponent was Hillary Clinton, and the Clinton name is so anathema to this broader movement," said Sam Jackson, who teaches at the College of Emergency Preparedness, Homeland Security and Cybersecurity at the State University of New York at Albany and wrote the 2020 book "Oath Keepers: Patriotism and the Edge of Violence in a Right-Wing Antigovernment Group."

"Another part is the group has some really virulent strains of Islamophobia and nativism and anti-immigrant sentiment," he said."

[www.nbcnews.com]

"How Rhodes, 55, went from being a libertarian former Arizona Supreme Court law clerk warning about federal tyranny to calling for the U.S. military to suppress resistance from U.S. citizens offers a window into the evolution of the anti-government groups that embraced Trump as an ally in their existential battle against the government he ran. Some of the groups are heavily armed, and members are being investigated over whether they had roles in the Capitol riot."

[www.splcenter.org]

In my post I @#$%& my summary of what Melber had said about how Rhodes played chameleon with his "principles" (which means they weren't actually principles but rather convenient rationalizations) so thanks for clarifying and expanding on Melber's point.

Edit: evidently "m u f f e d" is a bad word as far as the forum nanny is concerned.

e pluribus unum

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2022 09:55AM by Ted King.
Date: January 14, 2022 01:28PM
LOL, you never know what the forum will censor.

I'm glad you linked that video. I usually miss Ari, though I like him a lot, because he is on opposite PBS NewsHour.
Date: January 14, 2022 01:58PM
Lemon Drop
LOL, you never know what the forum will censor.

I'm glad you linked that video. I usually miss Ari, though I like him a lot, because he is on opposite PBS NewsHour.

I don't have cable so I don't get MSNBC but I do check into MSNBC's YouTube channel that gives later edited clips of their shows:

[www.youtube.com]

You might have to hit the refresh button on your browser to see the latest clips.

e pluribus unum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2022 02:04PM by Ted King.
Date: January 14, 2022 03:15PM
Thanks Ted.
I'll check that out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020