advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Gavin Newsom Rejects Parole For Sirhan Sirhan
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 13, 2022 09:33PM
Gavin Newsom Rejects Parole For Sirhan Sirhan

California Gov. Gavin Newsom has rejected parole for Sirhan Sirhan, concluding that the man convicted of assassinating Robert Kennedy “still lacks the insight that would prevent him from making the kind of dangerous and destructive decisions he made in the past.”

Sirhan was granted parole last summer by a state panel, but Newsom still had the authority to nix his release.

Newsom has rejected parole for Sirhan Sirhan, concluding that the man convicted of assassinating Robert Kennedy “still lacks the insight that would prevent him from making the kind of dangerous and destructive decisions he made in the past.”

Sirhan was granted parole last summer by a state panel, but Newsom still had the authority to nix his release.

“The most glaring proof of Sirhan’s deficient insight is his shifting narrative about his assassination of Kennedy, and his current refusal to accept responsibility for it,” Newsom wrote in an op-ed for the Los Angeles Times published Thursday.

The issue of whether Sirhan, 77, should be released divided children of Kennedy. Robert Kennedy Jr. and Douglas Kennedy argued for Sirhan’s release, but other children, as well as Kennedy’s widow Ethel, expressed opposition to it.

Sirhan’s attorney, Angela Berry, told the Associated Press that he would ask a judge to overturn the governor’s decision. She said Sirhan had demonstrated a record of rehabilitation, and that he no longer posed a public safety risk. The Parole Board weighed whether he was still a risk to society and his age in deciding whether to grant release.

Robert Kennedy was mortally wounded on June 5, 1968, shortly after speaking to exuberant supporters in Los Angeles following his victory in the California presidential primary. Kennedy died just over a day later at the Hospital of the Good Samaritan. He and his wife, Ethel, had 10 children, and an 11th was born following his death.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom has rejected parole for Sirhan Sirhan, concluding that the man convicted of assassinating Robert Kennedy “still lacks the insight that would prevent him from making the kind of dangerous and destructive decisions he made in the past.”

“The most glaring proof of Sirhan’s deficient insight is his shifting narrative about his assassination of Kennedy, and his current refusal to accept responsibility for it,” Newsom wrote in an op-ed for the Los Angeles Times published Thursday.

The issue of whether Sirhan, 77, should be released divided children of Kennedy. Robert Kennedy Jr. and Douglas Kennedy argued for Sirhan’s release, but other children, as well as Kennedy’s widow Ethel, expressed opposition to it.

Sirhan’s attorney, Angela Berry, told the Associated Press that he would ask a judge to overturn the governor’s decision. She said Sirhan had demonstrated a record of rehabilitation, and that he no longer posed a public safety risk. The Parole Board weighed whether he was still a risk to society and his age in deciding whether to grant release.

Robert Kennedy was mortally wounded on June 5, 1968, shortly after speaking to exuberant supporters in Los Angeles following his victory in the California presidential primary. Kennedy died just over a day later at the Hospital of the Good Samaritan. He and his wife, Ethel, had 10 children, and an 11th was born following his death.

In his op-ed, Newsom argued that Sirhan has dodged responsibility for the assassination, after earlier confirming that he killed Kennedy and, in an interview with David Frost, that he acted alone.

“He claimed he could not remember the crime, then stated he was innocent,” Newsom wrote. “In 2016, Sirhan said he believed he did not kill Kennedy based on what he had read in his attorney’s legal briefs. As recently as last year, Sirhan portrayed himself as the victim, claiming he ‘was in the wrong spot at the wrong time.’ ”

The governor also wrote that Sirhan still posed a public safety risk, even in old age.

“Despite inciting violence in the past, recently Sirhan laughingly dismissed the current relevance of his status as an ideological lightning rod,” he wrote. “He does not understand, let alone have the skills to manage, the complex risks of his self-created notoriety. He cannot be safely released from prison because he has not mitigated his risk of fomenting further political violence.”

Six of the Kennedy children, along with Ethel Kennedy, issued a statement in which they said they were grateful and “deeply relieved” by Newsom’s decision. “Because of how entwined into popular culture this murder has become, amplified by the regularity of the inmate’s attempts to be freed, our family has been forced to watch our husband and father be killed thousands of times. The pain of reliving his last moments, over and over again, is simply unbearable. Instead of contrition, this inmate points to what he sees on the clock rather than to what he knows in his heart, believing somehow that the passage of time is expiation enough.”

[www.yahoo.com]

I don't remember if we had capital punishment at the time, but he should have received a death sentence, even if, my second choice, it meant life without the possibility of parole.

Thank you, Gavin.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2022 09:36PM by RAMd®d.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Gavin Newsom Rejects Parole For Sirhan Sirhan
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 13, 2022 10:50PM
An op-ed by Newsom himself on the matter: [www.latimes.com]

It is what it is.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 14, 2022 05:53AM
I generally favor parole for elderly inmates, but in this instance, I have no issues with him remaining incarcerated. His refusal to accept responsibility for the murder is enough to justify the denial. Much like the Serbian assassin who killed Archduke Franz Ferdinand and set of two world wars, Sirhan's bullet likely changed the future of this country in ways that can only be imagined.

I know it is alternate history and this is wild supposition, but IF Kennedy wins in '68 then most likely we are out of Vietnam by 1970. There is no Nixon and no Watergate. That means no Ford, Reagan comes in 76 rather than 80. He would have inherited the crash economy and Iranians, so Reagan is one term and out. A democrat, possibly Carter but I doubt it, is elected in 80 and likely 84 too. 1988 is a tossup - but it wouldn't be Bush or Dukakis; maybe Dole? So Dole in 88 & 92, Clinton in 96 and 2000. That means no war in Iraq (we still take action against Al Quida). The 2004 election is a tossup, but GOP is back in 2008 & 2012. Then either Obama or Clinton in 2016. Regardless no Cheeto - ever. Without Cheeto, SCOTUS and the rest of the nation remains sane.

So yeah, that gunshot in the Ambassador Hotel in 1968 was the Sound of Thunder.

Let the assassin stay in jail, he has the blood of thousands more on his hands.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2022 10:36AM by Ombligo.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 14, 2022 08:12AM
I'm not sure anyone is served by keeping a person of his age in prison. Keep him under "house arrest" with some jewelry on would be my preferred way to deal with these things. Remember, we keep housing more people in these places, we have to make some room at some point.
Posted by: kj
Date: January 14, 2022 09:47AM
I think it's a mistake to assume there is an age at which someone is unable to injure others. I've seen an over 80yr. old knock someone unconscious, and there are definitely less physically demanding ways to hurt people. Now, if someone is quadriplegic, I think they are less dangerous, but that has nothing to do with age, per se.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: January 14, 2022 10:03AM
When it comes to his conviction, the only context that mattered was those things that were directly related to whether or not he murdered Kennedy as a question of fact; e.g., video of him shooting Kennedy.

When it comes to parole, I don't think we need to keep the context as narrow as it is on the question of conviction or not. I think the ramifications of him murdering Kennedy on our society at large are legit context to be considered.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 14, 2022 10:25AM
A motive cited for Sirhan's actions is the Middle East conflict. After his arrest, Sirhan said, "I can explain it. I did it for my country." Sirhan believed that he was deliberately betrayed by Kennedy's support for Israel in the June 1967 Six-Day War, which had begun one year to the day before the assassination.
[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 15, 2022 04:02PM
Sirhan's refusal to accept or his acceptance of responsibility for murdering Kennedy is wholly irrelevant.

That he actually murdered Kennedy is enough to deny him ever having a parole hearing.

There's no justification for letting life out the rest of his life in relative comfort.

'He's suffered enough' is BS.

There is no doubt as to the crime he committed – lying in wait assassination, aka first degree murder.

That does not deserve 'aging out' of punishment.

He should have died in a gas chamber.

Barring that, he should be released from prison in a body bag.

The nature of his crime is enough to justify either of the above.

He never, never should have been eligible for parole.

My preference, if not execution, or then LWOP, would be — 'You bring back the man you killed and you can now walk'.

A man is dead, never to return, only because someone chose to make that so.

We know who that someone is.

Not beyond a reasonable doubt, but without a doubt.

So Sirhan can rot in a cell, where he belongs.

First degree murder demands more than a lengthy 'time-out'.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: January 16, 2022 02:10PM
Ombligo
I generally favor parole for elderly inmates, but in this instance, I have no issues with him remaining incarcerated. His refusal to accept responsibility for the murder is enough to justify the denial. Much like the Serbian assassin who killed Archduke Franz Ferdinand and set of two world wars, Sirhan's bullet likely changed the future of this country in ways that can only be imagined.

I know it is alternate history and this is wild supposition, but IF Kennedy wins in '68 then most likely we are out of Vietnam by 1970. There is no Nixon and no Watergate. That means no Ford, Reagan comes in 76 rather than 80. He would have inherited the crash economy and Iranians, so Reagan is one term and out. A democrat, possibly Carter but I doubt it, is elected in 80 and likely 84 too. 1988 is a tossup - but it wouldn't be Bush or Dukakis; maybe Dole? So Dole in 88 & 92, Clinton in 96 and 2000. That means no war in Iraq (we still take action against Al Quida). The 2004 election is a tossup, but GOP is back in 2008 & 2012. Then either Obama or Clinton in 2016. Regardless no Cheeto - ever. Without Cheeto, SCOTUS and the rest of the nation remains sane.

So yeah, that gunshot in the Ambassador Hotel in 1968 was the Sound of Thunder.

Let the assassin stay in jail, he has the blood of thousands more on his hands.

?

JFK gave us the "Bay of Pigs" fiasco & got us into Vietnam...which is why as someone whose father served there (& lost plenty of buddies) I've always been disgusted with the "cult of JFK."

So why exactly would RFK suddenly have gotten us out?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2022 02:12PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 16, 2022 02:15PM
Bay was an Eisenhower admin holdover. He started with advisors in Nam, however the massive escalation came under LBJ when he fell under the sway of Robert McNamara and the Pentagon establishment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2022 02:16PM by RgrF.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 16, 2022 04:51PM
Bill in NC

because he campaigned on it?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 21, 2022 03:08PM
Steve G.
Bill in NC

because he campaigned on it?
And because his brother was dead so he didn't have to worry about how he would react.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020