advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Birds coming home to roost for Texas AG Paxton?
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 14, 2022 04:26PM
WaPo (paywall):

[AG] Paxton …gave a rousing speech at [last] Jan. 6’s gathering, in which he urged Trump supporters not to “quit fighting.” They didn’t, and soon after, a mob attacked the Capitol, culminating in an effort to overturn U.S. democracy that left five dead and scores injured.

So…

Last spring, four Texas newspapers asked Paxton’s office for all work-related texts and emails sent and received while he was in Washington for “Stop the Steal,” citing Texas law guaranteeing the public the right to government documents.

Paxton refused

Flat-out refused, I’m sure citing a partisan witch hunt to ignore a valid legal request. It’s all the rage in Republican circles these days.

So, what do you do when the highest law enforcement official in Texas, the AG, and by extension, his entire department are flagrantly ignoring the law?

… the four newspapers took their complaint to Travis County district attorney Jose Garza. Now Garza’s office has investigated the complaint and found that it has merit, announcing that Paxton is in violation of Texas law and giving him four days to release the documents in question, or go to court.

See,

Texas law also offers the option of going to the Travis County prosecutor to allege that a state agency (in this case, Paxton’s) is in violation.

That’s what happened here. Underscoring the absurdity of this, one transparency expert told the Houston Chronicle that he could not recall another example of an attorney general being accused of violating the law to keep his own communications out of the public eye.

Hopefully, much needed sunlight is coming.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Birds coming home to roost for Texas AG Paxton?
Date: January 14, 2022 04:31PM
From another article (non-paywalled):

The Texas Public Information Act gives the public the right to government records, including those on personal devices or a public official's online accounts. Paxton has tried to claim attorney-client privilege for every email and text he sent in the days surrounding the Jan. 6 attack.

Reeeaaaally? And who would that client-of-the-Texas-Attorney-General be, Mr. Paxton?
Date: January 14, 2022 04:34PM
I just have to add this (from the second link):

Paxton, seeking re-election this year, "is currently facing the fiercest scrutiny of his decades-long career, with…three state criminal indictments, allegations of an extramarital affair, and a pending FBI bribery investigation," the Chronicle reports.

"Paxton has denied any wrongdoing."

Of course he has.

ROTFL
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 14, 2022 05:14PM
When is he going to be charged with all his previous crimes?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 14, 2022 07:31PM
He’s a shoo-in for re-election as a Republican with those qualifications.

pdq
I just have to add this (from the second link):

Paxton, seeking re-election this year, "is currently facing the fiercest scrutiny of his decades-long career, with…three state criminal indictments, allegations of an extramarital affair, and a pending FBI bribery investigation," the Chronicle reports.

"Paxton has denied any wrongdoing."

Of course he has.

ROTFL

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: January 15, 2022 08:19AM
Dennis S
When is he going to be charged with all his previous crimes?

Well, one charge is five years old (and active) IIRC; they’re still arguing with Paxton over how to proceed to trial.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 15, 2022 09:49PM
Hopefully, much needed sunlight is coming.

Yeah, somebody wake me when there's an arrest.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: January 17, 2022 02:13PM
Yeah, it's pretty unbelievable that he's been under criminal indictment for years and nothing has happened.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 126
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020