advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Why Russia experts say Putin is detached from reality
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 26, 2022 08:15AM
[en.kremlin.ru]

This is the article about Ukraine that Putin published in July.

And it is the reason a number of Russia experts refer to him as detached from reality. Unhinged.

The paragraphs relevant to what is happening now are at the end. He begins with a long history lesson on Russia/Ukraine geopolitics. I found it interesting, but as the article draws closer to modern times his analysis is highly suspect and reflects his paranoia about US/European intentions and his refusal to regard Ukraine as a fully independent nation.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why Russia experts say Putin is detached from reality
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 26, 2022 08:41AM
Does not matter. When you're the dictator you can do what you like.
Date: January 26, 2022 09:18AM
cbelt3
Does not matter. When you're the dictator you can do what you like.

He can try. He doesn't rule Russia alone. We have to hope the less bellicose people are stepping in.
It doesn't appear that the Russian people have an appetite for invading Ukraine, but you never know what impact Putin's propaganda will have.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: January 26, 2022 09:21AM
Don't trust the accuracy of the historical account either, he is making a case for annexing the Baltic countries as well...

The southern and western Russian lands largely became part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, which – most significantly – was referred to in historical records as the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and Russia.

Only in his mind was it referred to as the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and Russia, the Lithuanians fought the Rus, why would they be one Duchy? The Duchy had a strong Polish influence and were aligned with their interests over the Russians.

Also, those lands might be Russian in present terms, but during that historical time, a large portion had Baltic tribes living there, not Rus.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: August West
Date: January 26, 2022 09:43AM
I greatly enjoyed the irony of the KGB man speaking about strong ties and shared values from the Orthodox church. Not sure how much is completely unhinged as it seems more a pretext for war, which is really never a rational choice. He may be trying to be crazy like a fox in a way that seems completely clumsy to us but will find a foothold with Russian nationalism, a very potent force.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Date: January 26, 2022 10:10AM
Sam3
Don't trust the accuracy of the historical account either, he is making a case for annexing the Baltic countries as well...

The southern and western Russian lands largely became part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, which – most significantly – was referred to in historical records as the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and Russia.

Only in his mind was it referred to as the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and Russia, the Lithuanians fought the Rus, why would they be one Duchy? The Duchy had a strong Polish influence and were aligned with their interests over the Russians.

Also, those lands might be Russian in present terms, but during that historical time, a large portion had Baltic tribes living there, not Rus.

Thanks for that context Sam3.
Date: January 26, 2022 10:20AM
August West
I greatly enjoyed the irony of the KGB man speaking about strong ties and shared values from the Orthodox church. Not sure how much is completely unhinged as it seems more a pretext for war, which is really never a rational choice. He may be trying to be crazy like a fox in a way that seems completely clumsy to us but will find a foothold with Russian nationalism, a very potent force.

To me this is the interesting paradox of Putin, or maybe these things go hand in hand. He professes a deep Orthodox faith. Church leaders until a few years ago strongly supported him as leader.

Then he harshly cracked down on pro-democracy protesters, some of whom were clergy.

He wants his religion in his own image.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2022 10:21AM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 26, 2022 11:25AM
I think he is getting ready to declare himself Emperor (I only jest, mostly)

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: gabester
Date: January 26, 2022 11:56AM
Rolando
I think he is getting ready to declare himself EmperorTsar (I only jest, mostly)

FTFY.

g=
Date: January 26, 2022 11:59AM
gabester
Rolando
I think he is getting ready to declare himself EmperorTsar (I only jest, mostly)

FTFY.

That didn't end well last time.
Posted by: August West
Date: January 26, 2022 04:08PM
gabester
Rolando
I think he is getting ready to declare himself EmperorTsar (I only jest, mostly) Cæsar

FTFY.

And it all gets back to Jules...

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020