advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Putin orders Russian nuclear forces on "high alert"
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 27, 2022 07:30AM
This would seem to be the Kremlin equivalent of a US Defcom alert.

Putin: "Western countries aren't only taking unfriendly economic actions against our country, but leaders of major Nato countries are making aggressive statements about our country. So I order to move Russia's deterrence forces to a special regime of duty." pic.twitter.com/AC1yHncqZc

meanwhile from the The Kyiv Independent:

During a phone call with Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko, President Volodymyr Zelensky agreed that the Ukrainian delegation would meet with the Russian delegation without preconditions on the Ukrainian-Belarusian border, near the Pripyat River.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Putin orders Russian nuclear forces on "high alert"
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: February 27, 2022 08:04AM
The Guardian
”It is not immediately clear what the “special mode of combat duty” entailed. Putin has warned foreign countries not to interfere in his ongoing invasion of Ukraine, saying it could lead to “consequences they have never seen.” He has positioned anti-air missiles and other advanced missile systems in Belarus and deployed his fleet to the Black Sea in an effort to prevent a western intervention in Ukraine.

“… The US responded that this was an “unacceptable” escalation, US Ambassador to the United Nations Linda Thomas-Greenfield said on Sunday.

“It means that President Putin is continuing to escalate this war in a manner that is totally unacceptable and we have to continue to stem his actions in the strongest possible way,” Thomas-Greenfield said in interview with CBS “Face the Nation.””

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 27, 2022 09:24AM
WH: Putin is “manufacturing threats that do not exist.”
Posted by: p8712
Date: February 27, 2022 09:58AM
Local Dictator Says "No, for real this time, you guys"....Story Developing...
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: February 27, 2022 10:20AM
I hope Putin’s army turns against him.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 27, 2022 10:25AM
I hope saner heads prevail in the Rocket Forces.
But... battlefield nuclear weapons are under the control of commanding officers.
"Russia has a variety of delivery systems that can carry nuclear warheads to shorter and
intermediate ranges. These systems are generally referred to as nonstrategic nuclear weapons, and
they do not fall under the limits in U.S.-Soviet or U.S.-Russian arms control treaties. According
to unclassified reports, Russia has a number of nuclear weapons available for use by its “naval,
tactical air, air- and missile defense forces, as well as on short-range ballistic missiles.”
It is
reportedly engaged in a modernization effort focused on “phasing out Soviet-era weapons and
replacing them with newer versions.” Unclassified estimates place the number of warheads
assigned to nonstrategic nuclear weapons at 1,912.
"

[sgp.fas.org]
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 27, 2022 10:53AM
Blankity Blank
“It means that President Putin is continuing to escalate this war in a manner that is totally unacceptable and we have to continue to stem his actions in the strongest possible way,” Thomas-Greenfield said in interview with CBS “Face the Nation.””

It's time for another stern letter of admonishment!

This time, we'll show him we mean business: We'll use cursive!

Posted by: btfc
Date: February 27, 2022 11:38AM
[m.youtube.com]
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: February 27, 2022 03:37PM
Well, we are shipping Ukraine anti-armor and anti-aircraft missiles just as fast as we possibly can...
Posted by: bfd
Date: February 27, 2022 06:36PM
Justification building steadily - and rapidly - for the nuking and repaving of Russia. All it will take is one misstep. THIS is how the really nasty wars begin.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 27, 2022 08:17PM
bfd
Justification building steadily - and rapidly - for the nuking and repaving of Russia. All it will take is one misstep. THIS is how the really nasty wars begin.

and end for everyone.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 27, 2022 08:24PM
Brings to mind what may or may not be an Einstein anecdote:

Professor Albert Einstein was asked by friends at a recent dinner party what new weapons might be employed in World War III. Appalled at the implications, he shook his head.
After several minutes of meditation, he said. “I don’t know what weapons might be used in World War III. But there isn’t any doubt what weapons will be used in World War IV.”
“And what are those?” a guest asked.
“Stone spears,” said Einstein.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: February 27, 2022 08:26PM
I think he's sending a signal to the U.S. and Western Europe that he considers Ukraine to be his territory to do as he pleases and what will please him will be to suppress all dissent with utter brutality. Don't like it, tough.

e pluribus unum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2022 08:26PM by Ted King.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: February 28, 2022 09:35AM
My wife keeps telling me "You are absorbing all the negativity in the world. You need to try to look on the bright side."

OK, Mrs Pupp, here goes:
On the bright side, a nuclear winter would help counter global warming.

Edit: She was not overly happy with that attempt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2022 09:36AM by S. Pupp.
Posted by: Janit
Date: March 01, 2022 07:12AM
S. Pupp
My wife keeps telling me "You are absorbing all the negativity in the world. You need to try to look on the bright side."

OK, Mrs Pupp, here goes:
On the bright side, a nuclear winter would help counter global warming.

Edit: She was not overly happy with that attempt.

At lease you still have your sense of humor!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 81
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020