advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
End of aviation in Russia
Posted by: numbered
Date: March 02, 2022 11:55AM
An aviation lawyer posted a thread to twitter saying that Russian flights to anywhere will be done very soon. He offered several reasons... here are a couple:

Very few aircraft are actually owned by airlines, and instead most are owned by lessor companies, most of which are Irish. Under the sanctions regime, the view in the legal community is that those leases have to be terminated, otherwise Irish companies will be criminally liable.

More importantly: Russian operators are unable to effect insurances. Without those, no national aviation authority will allow access to its airspace. This would in effect mean the end of Russian operators flying internationally.

Furthermore, despite the presence of some Sukhois, Ilyushins and Antonovs, the bulk of aircraft operated in Russia is still Boeing and Airbus. Those use CFM, GE and Rolls Royce engines.

All these manufactures have cut off access to repair manuals without which the aircraft and engines cannot be serviced. They have also issued a global ban on servicing in other countries, so that Russian aircraft cannot be flown abroad for maintenance.

They have also stopped the supply of spare parts. From talking to our clients, I understand most airlines keep about a 2 or 3 weeks worth of spares supplies.

This is sort of shocking, and yet aviation is so regulated that we should not be surprised. No ownership, no insurance, no maintenance, no payment...wow.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: End of aviation in Russia
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 02, 2022 12:03PM
And thus Aeroflot returns to the bad old days of Ilyushin aircraft falling from the skies and passengers dying in job lots.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: March 02, 2022 12:07PM
numbered
Furthermore, despite the presence of some Sukhois, Ilyushins and Antonovs, the bulk of aircraft operated in Russia is still Boeing and Airbus...

I don't know how I feel about that.

Leaving them with Boeing planes... It seems cruel and inhumane.

Posted by: hal
Date: March 02, 2022 12:39PM
I saw that another industry analyst said that the whole passenger system could be wiped out if the Sabre reservation system cut russia off.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 02, 2022 05:19PM
hal
I saw that another industry analyst said that the whole passenger system could be wiped out if the Sabre reservation system cut russia off.

I wonder how secure Sabre is. It seems like an optimum target for Russian hackers.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020