advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Today's events vs the Cuban missile crisis
Posted by: gadje
Date: March 07, 2022 07:39AM
I was not around during the Cuban missile crisis. I am curious how the current tension between US and Russia compares to the tension back then.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Today's events vs the Cuban missile crisis
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 07, 2022 08:26AM
Me too. I'd like to know. B/c I'm pretty much freaking out right now.

Posted by: Wags
Date: March 07, 2022 08:44AM
I remember being much more freaked about about the Cuban crisis. Likely from all the air raid drills, as if getting under a school desk was going to protect against an atomic bomb.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 07, 2022 08:51AM
JFK had balls......... boink smiley
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 07, 2022 09:07AM
The fear was greater because it was happening close to the US mainland. The target was us, not some small eastern European nation thousands of miles away.

And at that time the American public had been primed to fear or despise the USSR as a rival super power.

We've spent the past 25 years either feeling sorry for Russia in their weakened economic state, or cozying up to their social conservatism and autocracy.

Putin as a throwback not just to Soviet times but to imperialist Mother Russia of the Tsars is just confusing and weird I think to many Americans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2022 09:08AM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: March 07, 2022 09:22AM
Wife and I are going to a thrift store to shop for a couple of old school desks.

Todd's hopes-he-will-still-fit board
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 07, 2022 09:26AM
Wags
I remember being much more freaked about about the Cuban crisis. Likely from all the air raid drills, as if getting under a school desk was going to protect against an atomic bomb.

I was just a kid during the Cuban crisis, but the fallout shelter drills and films about duck and cover seemed to go on for years after.
I remember learning how effective different materials were at blocking radiation and how you needed to stock your backyard underground bunker.
And yes, getting under your desk, what a joke.
Even then, as a kid, I remember thinking that the best place to be in the event of an all out nuclear war was ground zero of the first bomb. sad smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2022 09:27AM by rgG.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: March 07, 2022 10:14AM
Wags

Don't forget, though - all you had to do to protect yourself from 1950's radiation was to cover yourself with newspaper. There's no escaping 2022 radiation. Something to do with Obama, I think they said on Fox News.
Posted by: August West
Date: March 07, 2022 10:40AM
As LD mentioned, the US socioculture was far different. Also, the development of nuclear weapons was nascent. In regard to nuclear, I'm waiting for tactile nukes in-theater to be released before the entire planet goes to nuclear winter.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 07, 2022 10:53AM
I think that Putin will 'test' a hypersonic missile with a nuclear warhead into some distant region of Russia, with the resulting free air explosion.

'Just a test'
(Plus it sounds crazy enough for his adviser Trump have recommended it. 'Got a spare hurricane you're not using?')
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 07, 2022 11:59AM
gadje
I was not around during the Cuban missile crisis. I am curious how the current tension between US and Russia compares to the tension back then.

Me neither, but based on how we are all living our day to days lives -- no comparison.

For most of the USA, Our biggest inconvenience is life right now is the cost of gas... which is fleeting. Morning radio hosts are too young to remember the 70s gas crisis, with looooooooong ass lines, and odd/even days and the ilk.

If I use one tank a week, 17 gallons, and its $1 more per gallon = extra $17 per week, or $68/mo.

Not insignificant, but those same morning DJs are acting like its we need to start eating ramen vs prime rib.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2022 12:52PM by jdc.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 07, 2022 12:30PM
I remember asking my mom how it was for her (she was in her late 20s, living in the NYC metro area) and she said that she thought she was surely gonna die.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 07, 2022 01:27PM
Wags

I was driving to the gym just before 6 AM, when the emergency broadcast system electronic screeches started.

I was listening to a the news on the radio and the RDS was frozen on "RUSSIA."

Although I knew it had nothing to do with the EBS screech, my first thought was "incoming nukes!"

Anyway, the screeches stopped and the radio continued on with the news.

No idea why the EBS came on. There was no message. Just the screeches.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 07, 2022 04:07PM
S. Pupp
Don't forget, though - all you had to do to protect yourself from 1950's radiation was to cover yourself with newspaper. There's no escaping 2022 radiation.

It's common knowledge that radiation today is, like, 20x stronger than radiation during the '50s era. smiley-laughing001

It is what it is.
Date: March 07, 2022 04:10PM
Lux Interior
Wags

I was driving to the gym just before 6 AM, when the emergency broadcast system electronic screeches started.

I was listening to a the news on the radio and the RDS was frozen on "RUSSIA."

Although I knew it had nothing to do with the EBS screech, my first thought was "incoming nukes!"

Anyway, the screeches stopped and the radio continued on with the news.

No idea why the EBS came on. There was no message. Just the screeches.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Don C
Date: March 07, 2022 08:26PM
I remember in elementary school being taken to the basement for air raid drill. LOTS of asbestos down there.

As noted, the Cuba thing was right next door so was a very real and present threat.

My fear today is that whatshisname will decide that if he cannot have Ukraine, he will make sure that nobody else can have it either and "damage" one or more of the nuclear power plants so that radiation makes the area uninhabitable for anyone. There is already one area of the country that is uninhabitable, a little escaping radiation from other plants could destroy a lot of the country. Probably take out some of HIS country too, but that's just a price somebody else would have to pay.
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 07, 2022 08:55PM
jdc

…those same morning DJs are acting like its we need to start eating ramen vs prime rib.

They may have a point considering the amount of grain that Ukraine won't be exporting. All it takes is a bump like that to rattle the beef market a little more than it's already rattling … $50/lb for prime rib could soon be reality …

[www.bloomberg.com]
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: March 07, 2022 09:00PM
I was about 12 when the Cuban missile crisis happened. I remember we watched JFK's speech and continued to listen to comments on the radio for hours after. Then there were days of crisis news and finally -- finally, the news that the Russian ships turned back from the American blockade. There was a lot of drama although out here on the west coast I think we felt a little less of the tension because the issue was intermediate range missiles and they would not hit California. This was of course naive because a nuclear exchange would of course have escalated into World War III, but we also kind of felt that JFK would get us out of the problem somehow.

Of course we now know a lot more about how the negotiations occurred (I seem to remember that an American and a Russian got together unofficially at a D.C. restaurant and figured out that there might be a way out, and eventually the U.S. very unofficially removed its own IRBMs from Turkey, or something like that.)

I would suggest that the current situation is a lot less tense for a couple of reasons. The first is that JFK in his speech made it clear that this was the United States vs. the USSR and they were trying to put nuclear tipped missiles just a few miles from our coastline. It may have been the first and only time when Americans in general were looking nuclear Armageddon in the face.

The second reason is that our territory and our lives are not in the balance here, and few people expect the situation to expand to a nuclear exchange -- not because Putin is sane or under control, but because the Americans and Russians in charge of the nuclear weapons have learned a lot over the past 70 years. Instead, we feel sad for the Ukrainians and truly angry at the Russians for pulling us back to the emotion of the 1960s where people in Europe feared a Soviet ground invasion.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 08, 2022 12:45PM
N-OS X-tasy!
S. Pupp
Don't forget, though - all you had to do to protect yourself from 1950's radiation was to cover yourself with newspaper. There's no escaping 2022 radiation.

It's common knowledge that radiation today is, like, 20x stronger than radiation during the '50s era. smiley-laughing001

Actually, warheads today are 3,000 times more powerful (and also probably much more radioactive) than the warheads detonated in WWII, and much more numerous. Because of the worldwide devastation they would inflict, I believe a full nuclear exchange today would end civilization as we know it. Think of how much social and economic disruption just the COVID epidemic has caused - a nuclear war would be immeasurably worse.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Date: March 08, 2022 03:47PM
Ammo
N-OS X-tasy!
S. Pupp

Actually, warheads today are 3,000 times more powerful (and also probably much more radioactive) than the warheads detonated in WWII, and much more numerous. Because of the worldwide devastation they would inflict, I believe a full nuclear exchange today would end civilization as we know it. Think of how much social and economic disruption just the COVID epidemic has caused - a nuclear war would be immeasurably worse.

I can't tell if you got the joke...

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020