advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Tell your conservative friends...
Posted by: gabester
Date: March 14, 2022 05:01PM
The Russians allow abortion.
They are actively engaged in killing the unborn in the Ukraine.

g=
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tell your conservative friends...
Posted by: kj
Date: March 15, 2022 01:50AM
Honestly, none of them support Russia. Wouldn't that be great if they did, I guess? I'm just not seeing it to any real extent though. Total waste of time fighting that "fight".
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 15, 2022 07:09AM
My 'conservative' friends are no longer conservative. They're raging Trumplicans. I avoid talking to them about anything involving politics. Trumplicans are about as far from conservative as Maoists. Really they are closer to Stalinists.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 15, 2022 07:48AM
kj
Honestly, none of them support Russia.

I assume that the thread title is based on behaviour like this:

which is exhibited by die-hard Trump lovers, i.e. people who believe that democrats are all satan-worshipping child-traffickers and adrenochrome addicts.

I guess not all conservatives have reached that level yet.
Posted by: gabester
Date: March 15, 2022 09:09AM
cbelt3
My 'conservative' friends are no longer conservative. They're raging Trumplicans. I avoid talking to them about anything involving politics. Trumplicans are about as far from conservative as Maoists. Really they are closer to Stalinists.

Fair enough... but given the importance of the anti-abortion / pro-life issue to many of such people it may be enough to drive a wedge since I would fully expect Trumplicans to be Putinists.

g=
Date: March 15, 2022 03:52PM
Lux Interior
kj
Honestly, none of them support Russia.

I assume that the thread title is based on behaviour like this:

which is exhibited by die-hard Trump lovers, i.e. people who believe that democrats are all satan-worshipping child-traffickers and adrenochrome addicts.

I guess not all conservatives have reached that level yet.

That's two knuckleheads in a picture, not even a crappy survey. I've seen that exact picture probably 34,000 times now. Are those the only two guys in existence with those shirts, or are people just too lazy to take another pic?

So many assumptions I can't even begin to address how illogical all of this is. Massive sloppy generalizations. We would need numbers that show what percentage of anti abortion people are also pro Russian invasion of Ukraine. "I would think..." is probably plenty accurate though RollingEyesSmiley5
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 15, 2022 09:45PM
The generalizations are borne from observing Trump’s behavior, quotes, actions, and those of his supporters since at least 2016.

Trust me when I say that the two harmless knuckleheads are indeed prime examples of democracy being dismantled by those who seek to normalize them downplaying the displayed threat.
Date: March 17, 2022 07:03PM
deckeda
The generalizations are borne from observing Trump’s behavior, quotes, actions, and those of his supporters since at least 2016.

Trust me when I say that the two harmless knuckleheads are indeed prime examples of democracy being dismantled by those who seek to normalize them downplaying the displayed threat.

What percentage of people who are anti-abortion are pro Russian invasion of Ukraine. Look it up. You'll find that you're making assumptions that are based on generalization of what you think you know. Those knuckleheads are not harmless, and represent a movement that is a threat to living in a reasonable country, but painting all people who aren't progressives with the same brush pushes them toward these awful people. It's misguided and counterproductive.

Evangelicals are anti-abortion, and anti-Russian invasion of Ukraine. It may not live up to the political stereotype, but it's the truth. Assuming otherwise alienates people we can't afford to alienate.
Date: March 17, 2022 07:09PM
[baptistnews.com]

At least there is some info here (surveys and such), but why bother when it's so much easier to rely on stereotypes?
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 18, 2022 03:43AM
kj
deckeda

What percentage of people who are anti-abortion are pro Russian invasion of Ukraine. Look it up. You'll find that you're making assumptions that are based on generalization of what you think you know. Those knuckleheads are not harmless, and represent a movement that is a threat to living in a reasonable country, but painting all people who aren't progressives with the same brush pushes them toward these awful people. It's misguided and counterproductive.

Evangelicals are anti-abortion, and anti-Russian invasion of Ukraine. It may not live up to the political stereotype, but it's the truth. Assuming otherwise alienates people we can't afford to alienate.

Maybe now they are, but evangelicals weren't always anti-abortion:
Religion Dispatches
Evangelicals considered abortion a “Catholic issue” until the late 1970s. In 1968, the flagship evangelical magazine Christianity Today convened a conference with another evangelical organization, Christian Medical Society, to discuss the ethics of abortion. After several days of deliberations, twenty-six evangelical theologians issued a statement acknowledging that they could not agree on any one position, that the ambiguities of the issue allowed for many different approaches. “Whether the performance of an induced abortion is sinful we are not agreed,” the statement read, “but about the necessity of it and permissibility for it under certain circumstances we are in accord.” The statement cited “individual health, family welfare, and social responsibility” as possible justifications for abortion and allowed for instances when fetal life “may have to be abandoned to maintain full and secure family life.”

Let's blow up your anti-abortion Evangelical theory even more...
Religion Dispatches
When the Roe decision was handed down on January 22, 1973, W. A. Criswell, former president of the Southern Baptist Convention and pastor of First Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas, expressed his satisfaction with the ruling. “I have always felt that it was only after a child was born and had a life separate from its mother that it became an individual person,” one of the most famous fundamentalists of the twentieth century declared, “and it has always, therefore, seemed to me that what is best for the mother and for the future should be allowed.”

[religiondispatches.org]

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Date: March 19, 2022 01:58PM
"Maybe now they are, but evangelicals weren't always anti-abortion"

A lot of things change. I'm not sure why that's particularly notable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020