advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Opponents of nuclear fusion research..." is this really a thing?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 16, 2022 12:46AM
I was reading a reprint of a Popular Mechanics story about regulators implementing a temporary halt of construction of the largest Tokomak, and that quoted phrase made my brain freeze for a second.

Other than it being an international money pit (hopefully only for the near future), are there really serious groups opposed to fusion? I couldn't find anything that seemed both intelligent and serious.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Opponents of nuclear fusion research..." is this really a thing?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 16, 2022 12:58AM
that is a real WTF? thought right there.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 16, 2022 02:15AM
It's got that "nuclear" word in its name, that is enough for some opponents. Part of why they renamed the medical use of NMR to MRI.
Posted by: gadje
Date: March 16, 2022 05:39AM
probably an error to rename the NMR into MRI.

It would have led to Qanon and alike avoiding NMR and dying a little sooner on average.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 16, 2022 07:59AM
Is it led by Joe "Rollin' Coal" Manchin?
Posted by: gabester
Date: March 16, 2022 09:43AM
I believe there are a few different fusion-research opposed camps:
1) It's nuclear so it must be bad because everything nuclear must lead to radioactivity (and to be fair most fusion is using deuterium or tritium, not something you want to drink exclusively for a long time.)
2) Who are we to think we can control the power of the sun? What if it gets out of control and consumes the earth?
3) NIMBYs

g=
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 16, 2022 02:16PM
Some people still hold to the beliefs of the Luddites.
Posted by: Diana
Date: March 16, 2022 03:39PM
JoeH
It's got that "nuclear" word in its name, that is enough for some opponents. Part of why they renamed the medical use of NMR to MRI.

NMR spectroscopy involves spinning the sample at 60 Hz (60 times per second). It was found to be inimical to life. Now we spin the magnet … one of the reasons MRI machines are so big. Renaming it to its current name is more descriptive of the method. That and other things …

Diana
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 16, 2022 03:59PM
Diana
JoeH

NMR spectroscopy involves spinning the sample at 60 Hz (60 times per second). It was found to be inimical to life. Now we spin the magnet … one of the reasons MRI machines are so big. Renaming it to its current name is more descriptive of the method. That and other things …

Diana

Spin the sample or spin the magnetic field, scientifically the same thing. The rest is just a bit of engineering, and in the case of the name, social engineering.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: March 16, 2022 06:04PM
I was curious, so I Googled it:

[www.popularmechanics.com]

e pluribus unum
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 686
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020