AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
FDA expected to authorize a second Covid booster shot next week- NBC
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 26, 2022 01:12PM
Rollin' up your sleeves for America!

FDA expected to authorize a second Covid booster shot next week
[www.nbcnews.com]

The Food and Drug Administration could authorize a second Covid-19 vaccine booster early next week, according to two people with knowledge of the plan.

The move comes amid early signs that the U.S. could soon experience another Covid wave as the omicron subvariant, known as BA.2, spreads throughout Europe and other parts of the world. Other countries, including the U.K., Chile, Israel and Sweden, already allow for a fourth vaccine for certain vulnerable populations.

Earlier this month, Moderna asked the FDA to authorize a fourth Covid shot for all adults, following Pfizer-BioNTech's request for a second booster for people 65 and older. Both companies said protection from the initial booster weakened after a few months.

Experts are still divided on whether an additional dose of the vaccine is necessary for everyone, but many agree a fourth dose may eventually be needed for certain groups, such as older adults.

As of a few days ago, FDA officials had settled on giving Americans age 65 and older the option of getting a second booster of either the Pfizer or the Moderna vaccine. However, in recent days, as officials began seeing small increases in cases in parts of the Northeast, officials considered expanding eligibility to even more Americans, the sources said.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FDA expected to authorize a second Covid booster shot next week- NBC
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 27, 2022 12:29AM
I already got my 2nd booster Feb 4th.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 27, 2022 02:05AM
Racer X
I already got my 2nd booster Feb 4th.

I got mine even earlier. I’ll get a fifth at the end of this coming week.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 27, 2022 08:20PM
Some scientists believe the term “booster” is outdated because it implies the initial series of 2 shots served a different purpose than subsequent doses. What now appears to be more accurate is that fighting COVID long term may require a continuous series of shots administered at regular intervals, the first 2 shots being no different than any of the others.

This may sound like nit-picking, but the language used to describe a problem defines the direction in which the solution will be found.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Janit
Date: March 27, 2022 10:03PM
Ammo
Some scientists believe the term “booster” is outdated because it implies the initial series of 2 shots served a different purpose than subsequent doses. What now appears to be more accurate is that fighting COVID long term may require a continuous series of shots administered at regular intervals, the first 2 shots being no different than any of the others.

This may sound like nit-picking, but the language used to describe a problem defines the direction in which the solution will be found.

Do you have a link for this? I am curious as to whether the argument is against the term "booster" in all kinds of vaccinations, or just for some cases, like COVID.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 28, 2022 04:36AM
Ammo

This would also help with the definition of "fully-vaccinated". No longer could semi-anti-vaxxers get away with saying they are fully vaxxed f they only had the initial two shots.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 28, 2022 08:41PM
Sam3
Ammo

This would also help with the definition of "fully-vaccinated". No longer could semi-anti-vaxxers get away with saying they are fully vaxxed f they only had the initial two shots.

When is the last time you had a tuberculosis vaccine? Do you know when others in your sphere had one? Vaccines are not something we have typically got multiple times per year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 08:43PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 28, 2022 10:33PM
As far as I know, tuberculosis hasn't been know to morph like virus' are known to morph. The annual flu vaccine is different from flu season to flu season. They're attempting to deal with what was not a previously understood entity, one that can be deadly and will transmogrify in an unknown fashion.

I'd allow scientists as much leeway as they feel needed to understand and deal with it. Take the political bullshlt out and it's a problem for science - let it be resolved through science.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 28, 2022 10:59PM
Actually, TB is the second-most cause of death before thr covid era but but it didn't affect "us" so it's not on most people's radar in the wealthy world.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 29, 2022 12:19PM
mrbigstuff
Actually, TB is the second-most cause of death before thr covid era but but it didn't affect "us" so it's not on most people's radar in the wealthy world.

Maybe outside the US. In the US less than 8000 cases last year and only 526 deaths in 2019 which is the last year the CDC has figures for.

Your comparison of results for vaccines that are totally different and in the case of TB for a disease caused by a bacteria, not a virus, is at best a reach. Not all diseases are equivalent. Neither are the vaccines and their efectiveness equivalent. Similar result may happen when the causative bacteria or viruses are similar, but not when the are very different.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 29, 2022 12:21PM
It's official: [www.fda.gov]

It is what it is.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: March 29, 2022 03:03PM
N-OS X-tasy!
It's official: [www.fda.gov]

thumbsup smiley

I'll be looking to get my second booster soon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020