advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
When will you get your next booster?
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 29, 2022 10:45AM
I just turned 65 in January, so I am eligible for a second booster.
I got my first booster at the end of October, so five months ago.
I am thinking I will wait till maybe August or September to get another booster, unless we start having a big uptick in cases/hospitalizations in my area.
I would rather get topped up before winter than right now, when most of my time will be outside or with my little bubble of vaccinated friends.

What are your plans.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: When will you get your next booster?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 29, 2022 10:55AM
I'll get a booster when its recommended.

My mother in law just came down with covid. Just because we're not at our peak doesn't mean there isn't a lot of covid out there. I'd feel better if numbers were continuing to go down but at least where I live the numbers have flatlined.

Hopefully the antiviral drugs will make an impact as their availability increases.

---

Take risk reduction down over less certain risk reduction in the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2022 10:55AM by mattkime.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 29, 2022 11:11AM
I will probably wait until there is an uptick in cases in our area. I don't want to have waning protection when the spike hits, which would happen if the booster is administered too early.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 29, 2022 11:13AM
I'm going to europe in April. I will try to boost before I go.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: March 29, 2022 11:24AM
mattkime
I'll get a booster when its recommended.

My mother in law just came down with covid. Just because we're not at our peak doesn't mean there isn't a lot of covid out there. I'd feel better if numbers were continuing to go down but at least where I live the numbers have flatlined.

Hopefully the antiviral drugs will make an impact as their availability increases.

---

Take risk reduction down over less certain risk reduction in the future.

That's sort of the problem, they aren’t really making any real recommendations as to when you SHOULD get boosted, they are just saying you can get one if you want one.
I don’t think they have a lot of hard evidence about when/how often is optimum. They know the antibodies wane, but it also looks like you are still well protected after the first booster. I hope there will be some clearer guidance soon, because right now, there isn’t.

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 29, 2022 11:44AM
Unsure. Some reliable sources saying 2nd booster not needed if you have a healthy immune system.
It seems that what we know is that it won't hurt you, but the upsides are not too clear.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 29, 2022 12:01PM
Will wait a bit and watch what is going on in my area. MA had got down to averaging about 750 cases a day, but over the last week or so it has increased to about 1000 a day. Not a big increase, but not going the right direction.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 29, 2022 12:05PM
Just got tested for antibody levels today -- based on the results of that and in consultation with the immunologist, will see whether another vaccination or booster is warranted, and if so, when.

My last test levels showed VERY high antibody levels (that's what getting all three vaccines will do for you!), so it'll be interesting (at least, for me) to see if there's a drop-off.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2022 12:06PM by PeterB.
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 29, 2022 12:15PM
“ With a second booster now authorized for some, the question is when to get it “

[arstechnica.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 29, 2022 12:27PM
LOL the day I become eligible for my second booster is the day I depart to attend the Stagecoach Music Festival, which is without a doubt the highest-risk activity I will have engaged in since the start of COVID.

I hope my first booster and good fortune see me through the weekend safely -- there's no way I'm going to be able to get the booster before I leave.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2022 12:28PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 29, 2022 12:41PM
As soon as I can. Pfizer isn't as useful, alas...
Posted by: Janit
Date: March 29, 2022 12:43PM
It is important to remember that one of the factors affecting waves of infection is the vaccination status of the population as a whole. If everyone says "I will wait til numbers head upward," this will hasten the upward movement. If everyone vaccinates as soon as recommended, then this will lower the numbers and flatten any new peak.

You don't want to be the COVID case that shows the curve is heading up again.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: March 29, 2022 12:57PM
Got mine on Friday.

Goal is to have max immunity prior to BA.2 pounding my community.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 29, 2022 01:01PM
Ima gonna wait.

I just got my first booster last Thursday. I was supposed to get it back in December when I last saw my Doc but the supply went bad due to an area wide power failure a few days before. I waited until my next appointment, which was last Thursday.

So, 4th shot maybe when I have my next Dr. appointment in June.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: March 29, 2022 01:42PM
FYI, just heard on the news that there's supposed to be updated recommendations on the boosters coming from the CDC possibly as early as today. So many may be urged to get another booster; we shall see.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to go with the CDC recommendations, in consultation with one's own doctor. As Janit points out, if we have a large segment of the population that isn't protected, we might end up back where we started... especially with BA.2 floating around and of course there's also always the possibility of new variants cropping up.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 29, 2022 01:58PM
Derp - just looked at my county's covid numbers - up 33%.

I know we're all ready to be done with this but its not gone until its gone.

I don't know if this is a BA.2 surge or a rebound due to relaxed precautions. Either way numbers will be elevated a while longer.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 29, 2022 01:59PM
It’s so refreshing to read an intelligent sane discussion of this instead of hearing the idiot rednecks around here talk about it, which will be happening soon.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 29, 2022 02:28PM
I said about the second week of April a few weeks ago, anticipating it would be approved around this time. Assuming a shot will still be free and available, I might delay that until another surge starts driving up the local death rate.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: lost in space
Date: March 29, 2022 02:53PM
Had my first booster Oct 21. I'm immunocompromised, so ASAP.

Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 29, 2022 03:22PM
Another angle to consider: which vaccine to get. Will you stay will the same manufacturer or switch to another in order to cover all the bases? (I don’t know if this strategy is scientifically valid or not).

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Date: March 29, 2022 03:49PM
Ammo
Another angle to consider: which vaccine to get. Will you stay will the same manufacturer or switch to another in order to cover all the bases? (I don’t know if this strategy is scientifically valid or not).

I have had three Moderna so far. I think mix and match can be good, but I think Moderna is the best of the three available options. I also think the Moderna booster being a half dose will potentially cause me fewer side effects. I also think the Moderna has a lower incidence of myocarditis, so that’s a plus.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 29, 2022 04:09PM
July for my 3rd booster.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Ted King
Date: March 29, 2022 04:19PM
btfc
“ With a second booster now authorized for some, the question is when to get it “

[arstechnica.com]

Good article, thanks for the link. But...

Some other doctors have been more cautious. Bob Wachter, chair of the department of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, advised against trying to time a second boost. "[This] reminds me of trying to time the stock market," he wrote on Twitter. "Which rarely works. I'd get the shot."

But Harvard emergency medicine physician Jeremy Faust respectfully disagreed. "We should be able to see wastewater spikes," he responded. "Assuming the 3rd dose fades within 12 weeks as the 2nd does, you’d rather get boosted 2 weeks into a surge than boost many weeks before and have no protection throughout. Spend your person-weeks boosted wisely!"

Ack.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 29, 2022 04:43PM
ASAP.

I don’t know when that will be, but whenever Kaiser gives the ok.

W assume it will be Pfizer for me.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Spock
Date: March 29, 2022 04:53PM
Booked it for this Friday afternoon.

So if I have any adverse reaction I can kiss the weekend goodbye. RollingEyesSmiley5

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 29, 2022 05:11PM
April
Date: March 29, 2022 06:54PM
Ammo

Speaking as someone who has gotten all three vaccines, my personal opinion is that mixing-and-matching is a Good Thing. Each vaccine seems to have its strengths and weaknesses, and mixing-and-matching probably increases one's antibody repertoire, which again is a Good Thing. I definitely noticed differences between the three vaccines each in terms of my immediate response to the shot, 0-72 hours post-response vaccine side-effects, and later antibody response.

Posted by: btfc
Date: March 29, 2022 07:27PM
‘ Should You Get Another Covid Booster? ‘

[www.nytimes.com]
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: March 29, 2022 07:29PM
When available for me, 62, I'll sign up.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 29, 2022 09:53PM
DinerDave
When available for me, 62, I'll sign up.

Dave

I'm pretty sure it was approved for 50+.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: March 29, 2022 10:01PM
btfc

[www.nytimes.com]

From that link: [www.nytimes.com]

... so... 50 and older, plus some immunocompromised ... that makes me eligible. I'll be curious to see my test results and whether my immunologist recommends it, and if so, which one of the three. (I'm thinking Moderna, because that was the one that really seemed to hike up my immunity the most.)

Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 29, 2022 11:56PM
I’m at four total doses now:

Jan. 5, 2021
Feb. 2, 2021
Sept. 25, 2021
Jan. 26, 2022

I’m thinking of grabbing another this Friday. I have two doses on each of two CDC cards. I’ll probably get a third card if I get my fifth dose this Friday. Traveling to multiple states has its perks! All are Moderna.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 30, 2022 12:30AM
N-OS X-tasy!
LOL the day I become eligible for my second booster is the day I depart to attend the Stagecoach Music Festival, which is without a doubt the highest-risk activity I will have engaged in since the start of COVID.

I hope my first booster and good fortune see me through the weekend safely -- there's no way I'm going to be able to get the booster before I leave.

LA County and City are beginning to issue tomorrow (Wed) but even then the effect won't do anything for you (except have a reaction) this weekend. The Stagecoach crowd makeup almost guarantees you'll be mingling with a whole lot of unvaxxed people.

Good luck, have a great time and travel light - leave there with only what you brought there.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 30, 2022 02:43AM
btfc

[www.nytimes.com]

I'm even more unsure after reading that. The takeaway is pharma companies pushed a 4th shot and FDA quickly approved it absent solid evidence that it is needed. And it could also make someone's immune system unresponsive to future versions of COVID vaccine. The booster skeptics left FDA last time. I'd like more evidence before getting this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2022 02:44AM by Lemon Drop.
Date: March 30, 2022 07:07AM
Lemon Drop
btfc

[www.nytimes.com]

I'm even more unsure after reading that. The takeaway is pharma companies pushed a 4th shot and FDA quickly approved it absent solid evidence that it is needed. And it could also make someone's immune system unresponsive to future versions of COVID vaccine. The booster skeptics left FDA last time. I'd like more evidence before getting this.

That’s my reaction to all the things I have been reading.
I am not sure I believe a booster every four months makes sense.

Date: March 30, 2022 10:25AM
rgG
Lemon Drop
btfc

[www.nytimes.com]

That’s my reaction to all the things I have been reading.
I am not sure I believe a booster every four months makes sense.

My read is that they're erring on the side of caution. It does make sense (at least, to me) to say that it's safer to get the shot, than not to get it, especially with a possible BA.2 wave coming, and maybe new variants too... and limiting those for whom they're recommending to get it to the 50+, immunocompromised crowd. I could guess that might be data there to which we are not all privy, that the CDC reviewed before making this recommendation.

Edit, UPDATE: I just got my antibody test results back, they look really good... need to discuss with my immunologist, but my read on it is that getting all three different vaccines made a big difference in my case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2022 02:23PM by PeterB.
Date: March 31, 2022 12:12PM
I decided to go ahead and get my booster tomorrow. Guess we will see if there is a fifth one called for in the Fall. Hopefully they will have more data by then and can give better guidelines

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020