advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
NEJM: 4th shot offers 4 weeks of added protection, then wanes
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 05, 2022 04:40PM
"Overall, these analyses provided evidence for the effectiveness of a fourth vaccine dose against severe illness caused by the omicron variant, as compared with a third dose administered more than 4 months earlier. For confirmed infection, a fourth dose appeared to provide only short-term protection and a modest absolute benefit. Several reports have indicated that the protection against hospital admission conferred by a third dose given more than 3 months earlier is substantially lower against the omicron variant than the protection of a fresh third dose against hospital admission for illness caused by the B.1.617.2 (delta) variant.1,10,11 In our study, a fourth dose appeared to increase the protection against severe illness relative to three doses that were administered more than 4 months earlier."

[www.nejm.org]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: NEJM: 4th shot offers 4 weeks of added protection, then wanes
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 05, 2022 06:41PM
You might want to change that headline, it doesn't track what the article says:

Protection against severe illness did not wane during the 6 weeks after receipt of the fourth dose. The number of cases of confirmed infection per 100,000 person-days (unadjusted rate) was 177 in the aggregated four-dose groups, 361 in the three-dose group, and 388 in the internal control group. In the quasi-Poisson analysis, the adjusted rate of confirmed infection in the fourth week after receipt of the fourth dose was lower than that in the three-dose group by a factor of 2.0 (95% CI, 1.9 to 2.1) and was lower than that in the internal control group by a factor of 1.8 (95% CI, 1.7 to 1.9). However, this protection waned in later weeks.
Date: April 05, 2022 07:37PM
Thread title is correct. The benefits of the fourth shot are "modest."

[www.nytimes.com]

"A second booster shot of the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid vaccine provides additional short-term protection against Omicron infections and severe illness among older adults, according to a large new study from Israel.

But the booster’s effectiveness against infection in particular wanes after just four weeks and almost disappears after eight weeks. "

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2022 07:39PM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: April 05, 2022 08:29PM
I wonder if this is because the vaccine is not as effective against the later variants but would have been effective long term against the earlier ones.
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 05, 2022 08:31PM
I wonder if the Moderna fares any better.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: steve...
Date: April 05, 2022 09:16PM
I don't regret getting my 2nd Moderna booster this afternoon. Feeling fine this evening.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 05, 2022 10:37PM
steve...
I don't regret getting my 2nd Moderna booster this afternoon. Feeling fine this evening.

Got my 2nd Moderna last Friday. I felt tired and a little achy on Saturday but pretty much back to normal on Sunday. I had about the same reaction to the 1st booster.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: April 06, 2022 08:33AM
steve...

I don't think this updated info should lead to regrets, but it does add to the decision matrix for those of is who haven't done a 4th shot yet.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 06, 2022 10:47AM

let the people be heard!~
Posted by: wave rider
Date: April 06, 2022 11:57AM
Dang it.

Moderna has kicked my a$$ all three times and I was thinking about a change of pace. BUT NO (maybe).

Grrrrrr…

=wr=
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: April 06, 2022 02:14PM
wave rider
Dang it.

Moderna has kicked my a$$ all three times and I was thinking about a change of pace. BUT NO (maybe).

Grrrrrr…

Why "NO" ...?

It seems that switching between Pfizer and Moderna rather than repeatedly boosting with one-type may offer the best protection against hospitalization from COVID.

...This may prove not to be the case, but the differences in boosted-protection between Pfizer and Moderna are pretty small, so you might as well switch to Pfizer for the next one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020