advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Re: Supreme Court draft opinion that would overturn Roe v. Wade published by Politico
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 03, 2022 04:02PM
Lemon Drop
AllGold
vision63
Lemon Drop
Voting rights, access to education and healthcare...also not "deeply rooted."

Next 25 years are gonna be rough.

We're gonna win everything. We will prevail. The hate people are a dying species. We may feel down now but we just gotta keep living to enjoy it.

emoticon_loveemoticon_loveemoticon_love

Sorry fellas but the mood today if you are a woman is not kumbaya. It's more like burn the @#$%& down.

Try to cheer us up later.

We get it. The GOP's attempted hold on the uterus is strong.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Supreme Court draft opinion that would overturn Roe v. Wade published by Politico
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 03, 2022 04:15PM
Lemon Drop

Sorry fellas but the mood today if you are a woman is not kumbaya. It's more like burn the @#$%& down.

Need anything matches? etc?

Posted by: vision63
Date: May 03, 2022 04:24PM
Lemon Drop
AllGold
vision63
Lemon Drop

We're gonna win everything. We will prevail. The hate people are a dying species. We may feel down now but we just gotta keep living to enjoy it.

They should have been crying in 2016 when 55% of white women who voted voted for Trump. This happened then, not today. Crying now is an insult to what happened on Nov 8, 2016. That's really all they should be thinking about and making sure they do better moving forward. All the pain we feel is on ballots.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2022 05:12PM by vision63.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 03, 2022 05:59PM
PeterB

A fine addition to my collection, but the coat could use some branding patches.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 03, 2022 07:56PM
Lemon Drop

Speaking for American womanhood can be problematic since it includes Green, Boebert, Noem, Haley, Stefanik, Collins, Murkowski among others like the 54% of white women Vision referenced.
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 03, 2022 08:23PM
This year, OMG, please, no more.
But, I know there is more. I see the damned ads on TV.
I talk to my friends, I get angry, I cry, I vote, but it still keeps getting worse.
I haven’t got much more fight left in me.
It isn’t just here, it’s all over the world.
I am down, very down.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 03, 2022 09:33PM
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 03, 2022 10:33PM
If the Dems could've done anything about this … but they continue to sit on their thumbs (while raiding the pantry bare).

Women need not look to that party for any help. And they certainly don't expect the Trumpers to help out. Maybe it's time for a real THIRD party to emerge and - take over?

Hold on. If true, this summer's going to be far more explosive - possibly literally - than the BLM summer two years ago.
Date: May 03, 2022 10:39PM
bfd
If the Dems could've done anything about this … but they continue to sit on their thumbs (while raiding the pantry bare).

Women need not look to that party for any help. And they certainly don't expect the Trumpers to help out. Maybe it's time for a real THIRD party to emerge and - take over?

Hold on. If true, this summer's going to be far more explosive - possibly literally - than the BLM summer two years ago.

Dem politicians have found a fund raising bonanza and are so upset they've vowed they will Tweet harder!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2022 11:15PM by RgrF.
Date: May 04, 2022 01:34AM
bfd

Explosive for what purpose? Just to wave our arms and yell? Two summers ago, the yelling cost us 11 House Seats.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 04, 2022 05:51AM
Saw this yesterday and I agree with it.

"I'm not pro-murdering babies.
I'm pro-Becky who found out at her 20 week anatomy scan that the infant she had been so excited to bring into this world had developed without life sustaining organs.
I'm pro-Susan who was sexually assaulted on her way home from work, only to come to the horrific realization that her assailant planted his seed in her when she got a positive pregnancy test result a month later.
I'm pro-Theresa who hemorrhaged due to a placental abruption, causing her parents, spouse, and children to have to make the impossible decision on whether to save her or her unborn child.
I'm pro-little Cathy who had her innocence ripped away from her by someone she should have been able to trust and her 11 year old body isn't mature enough to bear the consequence of that betrayal.
I'm pro-Melissa who's working two jobs just to make ends meet and has to choose between bringing another child into poverty or feeding the children she already has because her spouse walked out on her.
I'm pro-Brittany who realizes that she is in no way financially, emotionally, or physically able to raise a child.
I'm pro-Emily who went through IVF, ending up with SIX viable implanted eggs requiring selective reduction in order to ensure the safety of her and a SAFE amount of fetuses.
I'm pro-Christina who doesn't want to be a mother, but birth control methods sometimes fail.
I'm pro-Jessica who is FINALLY getting the strength to get away from her physically abusive spouse only to find out that she is carrying the monster's child.
I'm pro-Vanessa who went into her confirmation appointment after YEARS of trying to conceive only to hear silence where there should be a heartbeat.
I'm pro-Lindsay who lost her virginity in her sophomore year with a broken condom and now has to choose whether to be a teenage mom or just a teenager.
I'm pro-Courtney who just found out she's already 13 weeks along, but the egg never made it out of her fallopian tube so either she terminates the pregnancy or risks dying from internal bleeding.
You can argue and say that I'm pro-choice all you want, but the truth is:
I'm pro-life.
Their lives.
Women's lives.
You don't get to pick and choose which scenarios should be accepted.
Women's rights are meant to protect ALL women, regardless of their situation!
And let us not forget about the 400,000 children in foster care in the United States of America. And the 117,000 children waiting to be adopted here in America."

Grateful11
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 04, 2022 07:02AM
Vision, I admire your optimism, but I fear we are past that phase, after the next two elections, we will be a one-party oligarch autocratic republic, with the liberal side never ever again seeing the light of day. In other words, the death of the United States as a democratic republic is here. Why? Between the voting rights restrictions already passed in states, and more being debated, along with the highly gerrymandered districts, never again will Democrats win any elections.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Date: May 04, 2022 07:42AM
Sam3
Vision, I admire your optimism, but I fear we are past that phase, after the next two elections, we will be a one-party oligarch autocratic republic, with the liberal side never ever again seeing the light of day. In other words, the death of the United States as a democratic republic is here. Why? Between the voting rights restrictions already passed in states, and more being debated, along with the highly gerrymandered districts, never again will Democrats win any elections.

You're right - why even bother trying??

Posted by: SDGuy
Date: May 04, 2022 07:52AM
Sam3

Well - to be fair, "The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government"
I assume our current legislators and leaders are trying to perform their Constitutional duty to ensure that State Governments are comprised solely of Republicans.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 04, 2022 09:32AM
vision63
Lemon Drop
AllGold
vision63
Lemon Drop

They should have been crying in 2016 when 55% of white women who voted voted for Trump. This happened then, not today. Crying now is an insult to what happened on Nov 8, 2016. That's really all they should be thinking about and making sure they do better moving forward. All the pain

we feel is on ballots.

Do not put the responsibility for Trump on women.

If men had voted as they normally do, Hillary would have been elected. White men brought us President Trump.
Posted by: August West
Date: May 04, 2022 10:13AM

The hate people are a dying species.

Since when? The existence of this human characteristic has existed through recorded history.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: hal
Date: May 04, 2022 12:12PM
rgG
This year, OMG, please, no more.
But, I know there is more. I see the damned ads on TV.
I talk to my friends, I get angry, I cry, I vote, but it still keeps getting worse.
I haven’t got much more fight left in me.
It isn’t just here, it’s all over the world.
I am down, very down.

that was a really bad haiku :-)

hang in there...
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 04, 2022 12:13PM
I don't remember this being brought up in this thread yet - though the thread is getting kinda long and even though I've read all the posts, I might have forgotten:

[thehill.com]

“Nothing in this opinion should … cast doubt on (other) precedents”

Alito’s draft emphasizes that his ruling was a narrow one and would not spillover to decisions on issues like same-sex marriage (Obergefell v. Hodges), sex between gay couples (Lawrence v. Texas) and the right to contraception (Griswold v. Connecticut).

Kevin Drum posted about this earlier in the week, but I think he was too generous in his interpretation of it's meaning. That's because Alito has shown himself to be a big-time liar (even Susan Collins says so). So there is no reason to think that those other rulings are in any way safe even though he "says so".

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 04, 2022 12:15PM
Lemon Drop
vision63
Lemon Drop
AllGold
vision63
Lemon Drop

They should have been crying in 2016 when 55% of white women who voted voted for Trump. This happened then, not today. Crying now is an insult to what happened on Nov 8, 2016. That's really all they should be thinking about and making sure they do better moving forward. All the pain

we feel is on ballots.

If men had voted as they normally do, Hillary would have been elected. White men brought us President Trump.

Trump’s election is a mark of shame that stains more of us than we’d like to admit. He was a shambling, roaring, stinking mess of a monstrosity with flaming red flags protruding from every inch of him. And the constituency he was courting, and the bloody, red meat they would require to be kept happy could not have been more obvious.

For the majority of us, to deny our part in his victory and the rotting of this country that came with it, is an act of moral cowardice and intellectual dishonesty.

If there was EVER a time for voters to turn off the damn Netflix, to go somewhere they could pick-up a phone and reach out to sound the alarm, to walk the walk, to s**t or fall in the freaking pot it was then.

And we failed spectacularly.
We failed.
I failed.

But it wouldn’t be too bad. There are checks and balances. Limiters. The ‘sane’ republicans will keep him in check. The ‘lifers’. The bureaucrats. We’ll take some hits. Big ones. But the pedulm will swing back the other way. Right? How bad could it get?

Here we are.

Both hands. Stop pointing fingers. Put down your damn Bernie mug. Stop peeking between your fingers. Take your fingers out of your ears. Thumb out of your a**.

Both hands. Holding on to what we have. Taking back what we’ve lost. Both hands around their throat.

Somebody dies. Democracy or its enemies.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 04, 2022 12:36PM
I put a fair amount on apathetic swing voters who don't try to inform themselves but instead go with vague rule-of-thumb things like "the Democrats had their 8 years so let's have the Republicans have a go" and things like "I keep hearing all these bad things about Hillary Clinton so let's go with the other guy". Their ignorance makes them completely vulnerable to things like "say a lie strong enough and often enough and they'll believe there's something to it" strategy.

e pluribus unum
Date: May 04, 2022 02:14PM
Blankity Blank
For the majority of us, to deny our part in his victory and the rotting of this country that came with it, is an act of moral cowardice and intellectual dishonesty.

Tell me how I failed.
Date: May 04, 2022 03:32PM
Blankity Blank
Lemon Drop
vision63
Lemon Drop
AllGold
vision63
Lemon Drop

we feel is on ballots.

Trump’s election is a mark of shame that stains more of us than we’d like to admit. He was a shambling, roaring, stinking mess of a monstrosity with flaming red flags protruding from every inch of him. And the constituency he was courting, and the bloody, red meat they would require to be kept happy could not have been more obvious.

If there was EVER a time for voters to turn off the damn Netflix, to go somewhere they could pick-up a phone and reach out to sound the alarm, to walk the walk, to s**t or fall in the freaking pot it was then.

And we failed spectacularly.
We failed.
I failed.

But it wouldn’t be too bad. There are checks and balances. Limiters. The ‘sane’ republicans will keep him in check. The ‘lifers’. The bureaucrats. We’ll take some hits. Big ones. But the pedulm will swing back the other way. Right? How bad could it get?

Here we are.

Both hands. Stop pointing fingers. Put down your damn Bernie mug. Stop peeking between your fingers. Take your fingers out of your ears. Thumb out of your a**.

Both hands. Holding on to what we have. Taking back what we’ve lost. Both hands around their throat.

Somebody dies. Democracy or its enemies.

We didn't fail. Remember that:

1) Hillary won the popular vote.

2) The election was unquestionably affected, influenced, and interfered with by foreign powers.

3) There's fairly good agreement that there was questionable behavior of government officials in the days immediately leading up to the election (I'm looking at you, James Comey) and that also undoubtedly affected the results.

Yes, you can say "oh, but we should have presented a better candidate" or somesuch nonsense, but Hillary was one of the most qualified candidates in history. None of the mud that was dredged up against her has been shown to hold any weight, yet her opponent was guilty of all manner of things which have yet to be prosecuted. Yes, she was (and is) a polarizing figure, but in the years since her candidacy, most of her insights/predictions have turned out to be right on target.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2022 03:32PM by PeterB.
Posted by: kj
Date: May 04, 2022 05:00PM
Hillary was a terrible choice. A party that would choose her to run against anyone is literally stupid, or at least not living in the reality most people live in.
Date: May 04, 2022 05:11PM
kj
Hillary was a terrible choice. A party that would choose her to run against anyone is literally stupid, or at least not living in the reality most people live in.

Ummm, I repeat: she won the popular vote. And I would say that she was the best choice at the time, though admittedly hindsight is always 20/20... you could say that Bernie, Joe, Elizabeth, or someone else might have been a better candidate, but who knows how that would have worked out, we have no idea.

Date: May 04, 2022 05:35PM
PeterB
kj

Ummm, I repeat: she won the popular vote. And I would say that she was the best choice at the time, though admittedly hindsight is always 20/20... you could say that Bernie, Joe, Elizabeth, or someone else might have been a better candidate, but who knows how that would have worked out, we have no idea.

It's so unhelpful to keep litigating the 2020 election. But I'm 100% in agreement that Hillary was an excellent, highly qualified candidate for president, she was right on everything important then and still is now.
And she won.
And Putin was afraid of her.
Date: May 04, 2022 05:42PM
The election was totally influenced (hacked) by Putin. The Biden election was hacked too. We just were wiser and outran it. The mechanisms are still in place infecting our various "feeds." We'll rally. Even the overwhelming feeling that we're defeated is by design. They're working super super hard to make sure we can't beat them by simply outvoting them. We have to persevere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2022 05:45PM by vision63.
Date: May 05, 2022 03:47AM
vision63
The election was totally influenced (hacked) by Putin. The Biden election was hacked too. We just were wiser and outran it. The mechanisms are still in place infecting our various "feeds." We'll rally. Even the overwhelming feeling that we're defeated is by design. They're working super super hard to make sure we can't beat them by simply outvoting them. We have to persevere.

Yeah, tell that to the Russians, to the Hungarians. When the opponent crafts the voting laws, the voting procedures to be in his favor, no matter how many try voting, it won't matter, the fix is in. Do you really think that a groundswell of voters will be able to overcome voting restrictions put in place by the other party? Do you really think that all the voters who would have voted in their local voting districts will be able to travel to the remaining one voting district after local officials removed the previous districts? Do you really think that people will be able to give up their job in order to vote when the voting hours have been cut back? Do you really think that magically the new gerrymandered districts will somehow reverse their political affiliation, that new districts which have eliminated Democratic majorities will suddenly vote Democrat?

--Frank Zappa
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 05, 2022 07:05AM
haven't read the whole thread, but is it interesting that the Taliban 5 basically perjured themselves during their confirmation hearings?

have to look and see what other laws they each said were "settled as precedent".

Nixon picked Harry Blackmun, who wrote the majority opinion for Roe v. Wade. Reagan picked Anthony Kennedy, who wrote the majority opinion for Obergefell v. Hodges, which legalized homosexual "marriage," as well as for Romer v. Evans and Lawrence v. Texas, both of which sided with homosexuals. Sandra Day O’Connor and David Souter, respectively nominated by Reagan and George H.W. Bush, wrote the majority opinion, along with Anthony Kennedy, for Planned Parenthood v. Casey, which upheld Roe v. Wade.

I guess laws are laws until they aren't.
ah well, it was fun while it lasted.
bye bye Democracy, hello 1400s.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: davester
Date: May 05, 2022 01:07PM
kj

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: May 05, 2022 03:42PM
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 05, 2022 04:19PM
RgrF

Wow!

Date: May 05, 2022 04:28PM
Sam3
vision63

Yeah, tell that to the Russians, to the Hungarians. When the opponent crafts the voting laws, the voting procedures to be in his favor, no matter how many try voting, it won't matter, the fix is in. Do you really think that a groundswell of voters will be able to overcome voting restrictions put in place by the other party? Do you really think that all the voters who would have voted in their local voting districts will be able to travel to the remaining one voting district after local officials removed the previous districts? Do you really think that people will be able to give up their job in order to vote when the voting hours have been cut back? Do you really think that magically the new gerrymandered districts will somehow reverse their political affiliation, that new districts which have eliminated Democratic majorities will suddenly vote Democrat?

We're gonna get 'em Sam3.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 05, 2022 05:25PM
Hillary would have been a terrible choice. A regular Daenerys I Targaryen.
Too much experience, knowledge and friendship with foreign leaders & military. And she'd never have let the Dems stuff KH down her throat.
Bring back barefoot, pregnant and the dark ages.

Look at any one of a number of western nations with woman leaders.
See how f'k'd up they are?
That Jacinda, what a mess.

Bring back Thunderdome.

!#$@@$#!

Date: May 05, 2022 06:18PM
Fritz
Hillary would have been a terrible choice. A regular Daenerys I Targaryen.
Too much experience, knowledge and friendship with foreign leaders & military. And she'd never have let the Dems stuff KH down her throat.
Bring back barefoot, pregnant and the dark ages.

Look at any one of a number of western nations with woman leaders.
See how f'k'd up they are?
That Jacinda, what a mess.

Bring back Thunderdome.

I think Job 1 would have been massive sanctions against Russia for election interference. She would have worked hard to take Putin down. Job 2 would have been strengthening global alliances (NATO etc) and equalizing trade. Job 3 would have been establishing the Public Option as Federal Law. Job 4 would have been tied up in winding down the Afghanistan war. Job 5 would have been jumping all over the new Covid=19 virus as if it were WWIII. She said Bill would be in charge of the economy so we'd be enjoying windfalls. SCOTUS would be set for foreseeable future. If she could realize a good Senate/House majority, the Voting Rights Act would be re-established and an Assault Weapons Ban would be Federal law. She would wear out gun manufacturers and knock the NRA clear off of their rocker.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 05, 2022 07:35PM
Sorry to circle back here...

kj
Hillary was a terrible choice.

That is exactly what the Russians and Republicans wanted everyone to think.

Date: May 05, 2022 08:54PM
Not a terrible choice but she did run a poor campaign.
Date: May 05, 2022 10:25PM
RgrF
Not a terrible choice but she did run a poor campaign.

Someone who didn't like her in the first place would say that. It's the only way to defend that other guy. The other one who's fault it is?

Zing! smiley-music039
Date: May 05, 2022 10:29PM
I was referring to specifics like the decision to assume and not wage a contest in Michigan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2022 10:31PM by RgrF.
Date: May 05, 2022 11:41PM
RgrF
I was referring to specifics like the decision to assume and not wage a contest in Michigan.

You mean Wisconsin. She visited Michigan 7 times. She had a 133 member team permanently in Wisconsin.
Date: May 06, 2022 03:21AM
But she didn't go to Michigan at the end when it was important. She blew both Michigan and Wisconsin which cost her dearly.

Having said that, if we wouldn't have the archaic Electoral College, she would have won handily. So would have Gore. The thing is, the Electoral College isn't even being run/used like it was originally designed.

--Frank Zappa
Posted by: dk62
Date: May 06, 2022 07:12AM
Since when has competency been the top winnable characteristic of a presidential candidate. W??? 45??? She may have been the most competent candidate, but she was still a bad choice.
Date: May 06, 2022 11:36AM
dk62
Since when has competency been the top winnable characteristic of a presidential candidate. W??? 45??? She may have been the most competent candidate, but she was still a bad choice.

The only bad choice is the one that loses the electoral college. Hindsight is, as I said, 20/20.

For those of you who keep saying she was a bad choice, who would have rather had? Bernie had his own issues.

Date: May 06, 2022 12:07PM
Sam3
But she didn't go to Michigan at the end when it was important. She blew both Michigan and Wisconsin which cost her dearly.

Having said that, if we wouldn't have the archaic Electoral College, she would have won handily. So would have Gore. The thing is, the Electoral College isn't even being run/used like it was originally designed.

For her detractors, it's convenient to have a moving target. If she lost Illinois, just replace the state you accuse her of ignoring with the name of that state. It's just people justifying their the rightness of their own notions. People that didn't like her because she wasn't some white man that they'd be more certain and comfortable with. If 44,000 votes had switched sides, would this even be a conversation? No. It still shouldn't be a conversation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2022 12:10PM by vision63.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 06, 2022 01:03PM
PeterB
... who would have rather had? Bernie had his own issues.

Could Joe Biden have beaten tRump in 2016? Maybe.

Four years younger; with Hillary backing him (as his running mate?). dunno smiley

I can't imagine that even the most zealous Hillary supporter would not have preferred that ticket, to 4 years of tRump.
Date: May 06, 2022 01:16PM
DeusxMac
PeterB

Four years younger; with Hillary backing him (as his running mate?). dunno smiley

I can't imagine that even the most zealous Hillary supporter would not have preferred that ticket, to 4 years of tRump.

Would Bernie, having lost on March 16th 2016, continued his crusade all the way to the Democratic Convention in July? Would Biden have been shamefully boo'd at the convention (which is designed to promote the nominee) by Bernie's sour grape losers? Would Sanders have sued the DNC over "rigging" the election. It was Sanders that first claimed that anything was "rigged." Trump got it from him.

Maybe he would have, maybe he wouldn't have. Mighty funny that Bernie conceded right after Super Tuesday this time. This was after the DNC conceded to everything Bernie wanted.

Remember the tiny number of votes that Biden won by. 70,000 going the other way and Trump is president.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2022 01:17PM by vision63.
Date: May 06, 2022 02:05PM
DeusxMac
PeterB

As I said, hindsight is 20/20 ... you're assuming that such a ticket would have won. We have no way of knowing, and it could have as easily gone the other way.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 06, 2022 02:58PM
vision63
Remember the tiny number of votes that Biden won by. 70,000 going the other way and Trump is president.

Umm... shouldn't that number be more like 7,000,000? Final vote count was 81,268,924 to 74,216,154, according to Wikipedia.

It is what it is.
Date: May 06, 2022 03:17PM
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63

Umm... shouldn't that number be more like 7,000,000? Final vote count was 81,268,924 to 74,216,154, according to Wikipedia.

I think he means votes in individual states that would have tipped the EC the other way.
Date: May 06, 2022 03:40PM
Lemon Drop
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63

I think he means votes in individual states that would have tipped the EC the other way.

I wish!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020