advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Mike Pence wasted no time
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 03, 2022 04:04PM
SPARTANBURG — Former Vice President Mike Pence is coming back to South Carolina for his second appearance this week, this time to condemn abortion just as a leaked Supreme Court opinion says the justices are poised to overturn the landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade case.

On May 5, Pence will be in Spartanburg to deliver remarks “about protecting the right to life, restoring the sanctity of life” at the Carolina Pregnancy Center’s Spring Gala, according to an updated news release on the visit. 

The appearance had been previously announced, but the timing of the visit comes just as a draft opinion forecasting the court’s thinking, as first reported by Politico, is sure to affect Pence’s message."

This Christian pregnancy center is a "must visit" for GOP candidates in the early primary states.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mike Pence wasted no time
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 03, 2022 04:13PM
>This Christian pregnancy center

RollingEyesSmiley5

Date: May 03, 2022 04:17PM
mattkime

RollingEyesSmiley5

I know.

That is what they call themselves.
Date: May 03, 2022 04:17PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2022 04:18PM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 03, 2022 05:02PM
Lemon Drop
mattkime

RollingEyesSmiley5

I know.

That is what they call themselves.

Don't forget, Alito also labeled doctors and nurses at abortion clinics "abortionists". [www.politico.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 03, 2022 05:45PM
“Now we have to protect the ban on abortion so vote GQP.”

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 03, 2022 07:53PM
What is the issue with a Christian pregnancy center? We have one in our town and they provide financial assistance and medical care to women in need. They hand out a lot of baby diapers! They also provide pregnancy classes and clothing. In their most recent newsletter it talks about hosting classes on healthy relationships. Maybe you know something I don’t about the one in the article but the one in my home town does great work.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 03, 2022 08:06PM
PeterB
Don't forget, Alito also labeled doctors and nurses at abortion clinics "abortionists". [www.politico.com]

I’ve heard reporting that his use of that term is actually a nod to Clarence Thomas, who has used it for some time.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 03, 2022 08:53PM
davemchine
What is the issue with a Christian pregnancy center? We have one in our town and they provide financial assistance and medical care to women in need. They hand out a lot of baby diapers! They also provide pregnancy classes and clothing. In their most recent newsletter it talks about hosting classes on healthy relationships. Maybe you know something I don’t about the one in the article but the one in my home town does great work.

They take donations. We gave them quite a bit of baby stuff we no longer needed. Our donation didn’t stay there long. It was the only place in town where we could get rid of these things besides Goodwill (which we have no desire to support.)

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 03, 2022 09:17PM
davemchine

Some are good. But there are others that pressure women into carrying the baby to term, provide no information on options besides that, and then not too long after birth end any further support. Add some reported as pushing their particular brand of christianity, YMMV.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 03, 2022 09:55PM

missed their chance on Jan 6
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 03, 2022 10:12PM
Pence. RollingEyesSmiley5
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 04, 2022 12:06AM
davemchine

Nothing wrong with what you describe. That said, if they're what you describe, it seems they could do it without labeling it 'Christian' and avoiding association with less than sincere actors in the same space.

Posted by: MacArtist
Date: May 04, 2022 05:15AM
Most of the people supporting an end to abortion are also the people who complain about people on welfare. And the government ensuring access to free contraception. And the government supporting head start programs.

The list goes on and on.

I have an aunt who has spent countless $$$ attending and supporting pro-life rallies, spent I don’t know how many hours on picket lines in front of clinics, and railed on and the evils Planned Parenthood. But is completely silent about financially assisting all the babies she helped “save”.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 04, 2022 07:29AM
I live in an area with three Pregnancy Crisis Centers run by volunteers from local churches. The only medical training any have is some volunteers are nurses. They receive state funding from license plate sales and refer women to the only OB-GYN group servicing the local hospital. That group requires patients to pray with them prior to treatment. There is another GYN-OB but she does not have admitting privileges to the local hospital (she was blocked by the hospital board which has the two OB's from the Christian group and the pastor of the Baptist church that sponsors the pregnancy center on it. The health department no longer has a GYN/OB on staff.

So choices are very limited and women essentially have little choice. The situation is far from unique in rural areas.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 04, 2022 08:03AM
MacArtist
I have an aunt who has spent countless $$$ attending and supporting pro-life rallies, spent I don’t know how many hours on picket lines in front of clinics, and railed on and the evils Planned Parenthood. But is completely silent about financially assisting all the babies she helped “save”.

Pro Birth
Date: May 04, 2022 08:58AM
davemchine

There are lots of wonderful nonprofits that assist pregnant women and new parents. Some are run by churches. They serve all in need, no strings attached. They offer only what they are licensed and qualified to do. They are transparent about their mission.

That is not the case with the organization referenced in the OP. If you look at their website, you'll ask yourself why a pregnant woman would go there, instead of to a licensed medical center staffed by trained professionals. Notice no mention of Jesus in the website, but they proselytize the unsuspecting women who come in.
[carolinapregnancy.org]

Their sole mission is to convince women not to have abortions.
They use false health information about abortion, misuse ultrasound technology and data, and try to heap guilt on the pregnant woman. Oh and try to get her into their "work programs" the proceeds from which keep the centers open.

These are sometimes called "crisis pregnancy centers" and they exist all over the country.

They are beloved by Evanglical, anti-choice politicians like Mike Pence.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 04, 2022 09:41AM
Lemon Drop
Notice no mention of Jesus in the website,

Well, to be fair, modern evangelical conservatives have little to do with Jesus.
Date: May 04, 2022 10:21AM
Lux Interior
Lemon Drop
Notice no mention of Jesus in the website,

Well, to be fair, modern evangelical conservatives have little to do with Jesus.

Good point
Date: May 04, 2022 10:04PM
[carolinapregnancy.org]

Carolina Pregnancy Center (CPC) is an independent, faith-based, non-profit organization. CPC is funded entirely through private donations of individuals, businesses, churches, and organizations through events, direct mail, and monthly giving. We do not receive any government funding. Our mission is to help women and families with pregnancy-related issues. We truly want them to experience more life through Christ. When you invest in this ministry, you are investing in lives and bringing hope. Your return on investment is the lives that are saved and transformed. Our relationship with our donors is the highest expression of our mutual commitment to the mission of offering help and hope to women facing unplanned pregnancies.

I suppose they could put it in larger letters or in bold.

[colquhoun.info]
Date: May 05, 2022 08:41AM
davemchine
[carolinapregnancy.org]

Carolina Pregnancy Center (CPC) is an independent, faith-based, non-profit organization. CPC is funded entirely through private donations of individuals, businesses, churches, and organizations through events, direct mail, and monthly giving. We do not receive any government funding. Our mission is to help women and families with pregnancy-related issues. We truly want them to experience more life through Christ. When you invest in this ministry, you are investing in lives and bringing hope. Your return on investment is the lives that are saved and transformed. Our relationship with our donors is the highest expression of our mutual commitment to the mission of offering help and hope to women facing unplanned pregnancies.

I suppose they could put it in larger letters or in bold.

That is 2 clicks down in "support us" which is not what potential clients are going to dig for. Nowhere in the client info on the front pages do you find the true mission of this place nor any mention of religion.

That message is for donors, not clients, which was my point.

If you like that feel free to send them money.
Date: May 05, 2022 11:31AM
I do financially support our local pregnancy center. They do great work and it can’t be easy.

[colquhoun.info]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020