advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
New poll: big majorities want expanded SCOTUS and term limits for justices
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 05, 2022 03:50PM
I guess it took something really extreme to wake people up to the reality of how harmful, out of step and rd and out of date the current Court structure is.

[twitter.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New poll: big majorities want expanded SCOTUS and term limits for justices
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 05, 2022 04:33PM
Expanding SCOTUS can be done with simple legislation, just keep in mind that the other side can expand as well when they gain power (or recede if a justice leaves, they don't have to fill).

term limits would require a constitutional amendment, but that isn't going to happen.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: hal
Date: May 05, 2022 04:42PM
"Big change: Americans want term limits for Supreme Court justices by 66% to 21%, and favor expanding the Court by 55% to 36%. (Morning Consult poll for @politico) When I tested public appetite for Court reforms in 2007 (part of "A More Perfect Constitution") resistance was great."

[assets.morningconsult.com] (expanded court q is on p148)

I found the poll, but I don't see these numbers anywhere there...

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 05, 2022 05:03PM
I see the term limits number. There are about 12 pages of polling data on SCOTUS alone, it's clear that Americans don't trust that institution and want changes.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 05, 2022 05:14PM
I'm definitely in for term limits.
8 years, max. and no one nom'd over 60.
9 is justi is enough.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 05, 2022 08:15PM
I'm not for term limits. I'm for mandatory retirement. I don't think musical chairs of justices would be particularly helpful. I do think that they should have to retire at or before 70. So should congresspeople, for that matter. I'm getting tired of this country being run by geriatrics. And I'm a geriatric, so I know what I'm talking about.

Posted by: vision63
Date: May 05, 2022 10:36PM
Simple legislation he says. No Republican would vote for that and a certain percentage of Democrats wouldn't vote for expanding the court.

Now, if a Republican becomes president and manages a majority of seats in both houses, it'll breeze through. They have solid discipline.

Term limits I'm supposin' would be a constitutional issue.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 06, 2022 05:52AM
vision63
Simple legislation he says. No Republican would vote for that and a certain percentage of Democrats wouldn't vote for expanding the court.

Now, if a Republican becomes president and manages a majority of seats in both houses, it'll breeze through. They have solid discipline.

Term limits I'm supposin' would be a constitutional issue.

by simple legislation, I meant that it could be done legislatively versus needing an amendment. I never meant that it would be easy to pass that legislation.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: May 06, 2022 06:08PM
The congress can change the size of the Supreme Court by legislation. It's been done in the past, including reducing the size. I don't know if they could reduce the current court to, say, 4 members, and those with the least seniority would have to leave. Then the congress could raise the number up to 13 or 15, which would be rational. The language in the Constitution is that judges serve in "good behavior." That has been liberally construed to mean pretty much anything short of a felony, but considering how far Mitch McConnell has been willing to bend tradition and norms, perhaps the congress could redefine that term to allow the removal of more judges. One definition of bad behavior might be lying to the congress in your confirmation hearing.
Posted by: gabester
Date: May 08, 2022 01:26PM
Ca Bob
they could reduce the current court to, say, 4 members, and those with the least seniority would have to leave.

Naw, if they can reduce it, just reduce it to 6, kick out the Trump-nominated judges, then expand it back to 9. Problem solved.

Oh, and anyone who has close relatives actively working to undermine national sovereignty probably should be removed under a cloud of suspicion over that association. Then we should really be set.
g=

g=

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2022 01:27PM by gabester.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020