advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
The Biden administration is capping the cost of internet for low-income Americans
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 09, 2022 11:13AM
Noticeably missing from the Republican 'grab all the cash you can' agenda

The Biden administration is capping the cost of internet for low-income Americans
[www.npr.org]

The Biden administration says it will partner with internet providers to lower the cost of high-speed internet plans for low-income Americans, the White House announced Monday.

The Affordable Connectivity Program will provide plans of at least 100 Megabits per second of speed for no more than $30. An estimated 48 million Americans will qualify.

"High-speed internet service is no longer a luxury — it's a necessity," the White House said. "But too many families go without high-speed internet because of the cost or have to cut back on other essentials to make their monthly internet service payments."

Twenty internet providers, including national companies like AT&T, Comcast and Verizon, as well as regional companies, such as Hawaiian Telecom and Jackson Energy Authority in Tennessee have committed to the program.

"It's time for every American to experience the social, economic, health, employment and educational benefits of universal scaled access to the Internet," said AT&T CEO John Stankey.

Americans will soon be able to visit www.getinternet.gov to determine their eligibility and sign up for the program. Those who receive benefits, such as the Pell Grant, Medicaid or SNAP may qualify.

Agencies overseeing these programs will reach out to recipients of these benefits to see which households qualify for the ACP. Eligible households may also receive notifications from city or state agencies.

Organizations such as United Way and Goodwill will also assist with outreach and enrollment.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The Biden administration is capping the cost of internet for low-income Americans
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 09, 2022 11:19AM
Cue the boomers with the "I didn't have internet when I was a kid!" old fogey smiley
Re: The Biden administration is capping the cost of internet for low-income Americans
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 09, 2022 11:30AM
First Obama phones, now Biden bits??

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 09, 2022 11:58AM
Considering broadband has been wildly subsidized by the government, it’s about damn time.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 09, 2022 12:27PM
cbelt3
Considering broadband has been wildly subsidized by the government, it’s about damn time.

This is the primary reason I support this, but in reality, with how much money the government has dumped into Telcos it should be that price for everyone.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 09, 2022 12:37PM
You have to get internet TO me before you can cap it.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: May 09, 2022 12:52PM
Amen Dennis. It’s not the cost but the availability. ATT Fixed is the best we can do and it tops out at 20 Mbps.
Posted by: steve...
Date: May 09, 2022 01:17PM
Americans will soon be able to visit www.getinternet.gov to determine their eligibility and sign up for the program. Those who receive benefits, such as the Pell Grant, Medicaid or SNAP may qualify.

This website appears to be up and running: Get Internet

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 09, 2022 02:01PM
PeterW
Amen Dennis. It’s not the cost but the availability. ATT Fixed is the best we can do and it tops out at 20 Mbps.

ATT says they’ll never get it to us but we have to use their landline.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 09, 2022 03:30PM
....this program replaced the 'Emergency Broadband Benefit' program which actually gave up to $50 which is more (this is only $30)........I know because I apply for a relative....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 09, 2022 05:13PM
NewtonMP2100
....this program replaced the 'Emergency Broadband Benefit' program which actually gave up to $50 which is more (this is only $30)........I know because I apply for a relative....

If I understand you correctly these are two different critters.

The Emergency Broadband Benefit was a $50 discount off of the cost of broadband. This program is actually a cap on the price of broadband at $30; putting a $30 ceiling on the cost of the service.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 09, 2022 05:37PM
Dennis S
You have to get internet TO me before you can cap it.

Sounds to me like you've already been capped.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 09, 2022 05:41PM
2M/8M in bumf'k O'Cala.
bonded DSL.

Old ladies shopping in Publix move faster than that.

!#$@@$#!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 09, 2022 05:46PM
Blankity Blank
NewtonMP2100

If I understand you correctly these are two different critters.

The Emergency Broadband Benefit was a $50 discount off of the cost of broadband. This program is actually a cap on the price of broadband at $30; putting a $30 ceiling on the cost of the service.

....both are credits.....they sent email to people who had the EBB....saying it was being replaced by the 'Affordable Connectivity Program' and that the max credit would be $30 now (instead of $50).....

....I know someone who has it.....this is how it works.....the provider charges you $29.99 or whatever, then the customer receives a monthly credit from the 'Affordable Connectivity' program that credits you back up to $30.....if the internet provider charge you $40 then you have to pay the balance of $10.....

.....it looks like what changes is the the internet providers have agreed to charge under $30 or under so the credit will cover the full amount.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2022 06:07PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 09, 2022 05:48PM
....and the middle class will get screwed again forced to pay for a benefit that they're NOT likely to qualify for. angry smiley
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 09, 2022 06:21PM
I don't mind if some of my tax dollars go to this program. I am fortunate that I can afford broadband without a subsidy.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 09, 2022 08:03PM
I wish I could afford broadband.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 09, 2022 08:27PM
testcase
....and the middle class will get screwed again forced to pay for a benefit that they're NOT likely to qualify for. angry smiley

I suppose that's worse than paying for the billionaire tax breaks you don't benefit from either, sounds like a world view that resents anyone, anywhere getting anything they themselves don't get despite circumstances. Do you also envy all that free food people on food stamps get that you have to pay for?
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 09, 2022 09:13PM
This will come back to bite them in the ass when all the low IQers are enabled to spread their conspiracy theories at 100 Mb/s speeds…
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 09, 2022 09:30PM
bfd
This will come back to bite them in the ass when all the low IQers are enabled to spread their conspiracy theories at 100 Mb/s speeds…

That horse has left the barn.
Date: May 09, 2022 09:57PM
bfd

This will come back to bite them in the ass when all the low(income Americans) IQers are enabled to spread their conspiracy theories at 100 Mb/s speeds…

That has kind of an ugly elitist edge to it. Am I reading you as wrong as I hope I am?

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 09, 2022 10:22PM
Nothing wrong with being elitist if you are actually elite. Should false egalitarianism and artificially creating a softer image, be a more admirable goal?
Date: May 09, 2022 10:35PM
RgrF
Nothing wrong with being elitist if you are actually elite. Should false egalitarianism and artificially creating a softer image, be a more admirable goal?

“Nothing wrong with being elitist if you are actually elite.” and casting not correlating income with intellect as “false egalitarianism”, both “interesting” takes. RollingEyesSmiley5

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 10, 2022 09:57AM
testcase

Jokes on you...there is no more middle class.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 10, 2022 05:23PM
"Jokes on you...there is no more middle class."

Sad but TRUE. sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020