advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Paxlovid can cause recurrence
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 09, 2022 03:47PM
I did not know that some people can relapse after taking Paxlovid.

Pfizer Inc. executives said patients who suffer a relapse in Covid-19 symptoms after taking a full course of Paxlovid should take more of the treatment, though current U.S. guidelines limit use to five consecutive days.

“Paxlovid does what it has to do: it reduces the viral load,” Chief Executive Officer Albert Bourla said in an interview. “Then your body is supposed to do the job.” But for unknown reasons, the CEO said, some patients aren’t able to clear the virus with the first course of treatment.

I saw this after seeing that it has apparently happened to Stephen Colbert.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Paxlovid can cause recurrence
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 09, 2022 03:51PM
PAXLOVID DO YOUR JOB!

Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 09, 2022 03:55PM
So, if guidelines say 5 days, once, how do you get a second 5 day course? I'm sure insurance won't go for that, even if your doc writes a second script.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 09, 2022 03:56PM
Not all immune systems work well. If they did, we wouldn’t need vaccines and anti-virals at all. Some people are finding that their immune system is great as they think it is without either of those helpers.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2022 04:29PM by pRICE cUBE.
Date: May 09, 2022 04:34PM
Racer X
So, if guidelines say 5 days, once, how do you get a second 5 day course? I'm sure insurance won't go for that, even if your doc writes a second script.

Yeah, who knows how that will work.

Date: May 09, 2022 05:50PM
rgG
Racer X

I am not sure about insurance. One can make a decision regarding the second dose weighed against cost at that point. How good is your immune system?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: May 09, 2022 06:41PM
pRICE cUBE
rgG
Racer X

I am not sure about insurance. One can make a decision regarding the second dose weighed against cost at that point. How good is your immune system?

dunno smiley never had covid.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 09, 2022 07:03PM
I had already heard about this... the question is why it is happening-- if it is, as suggested above, that some folks' immune systems aren't fighting off the virus enough, or for other reasons.

What is concerning to me: through widespread use of this med, where it is maybe not being taken at the necessary doses or for a complete time course, we might be selecting for variants that are partially- or fully-resistant to the med. The possibility is definitely there:

[www.rutgers.edu]
[www.nature.com]
[www.mdpi.com]

... if you don't knock down the virus enough, you're giving it a chance to "cook", and allowing for the development of additional mutations.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 09, 2022 07:25PM
Racer X

...that you know of.
Date: May 09, 2022 07:51PM
mattkime
Racer X

...that you know of.

if I did, I must have a robust immune system, as nothing happened.

[www.youtube.com]
Date: May 09, 2022 08:01PM
I wonder how many of those recurring cases involved taking Paxlovid outside the optimal window.

Posted by: Janit
Date: May 10, 2022 07:56AM
I would argue with your subject line for this post, as the phrasing suggests that people should not take Paxlovid because it causes more illness. It is more accurate to say that, for some people, Paxlovid treatment is not enough to clear the virus. Hard to make a good sound bite out of that, I know.

rgG

Pfizer Inc. executives said patients who suffer a relapse in Covid-19 symptoms after taking a full course of Paxlovid should take more of the treatment, though current U.S. guidelines limit use to five consecutive days.

“Paxlovid does what it has to do: it reduces the viral load,” Chief Executive Officer Albert Bourla said in an interview. “Then your body is supposed to do the job.” But for unknown reasons, the CEO said, some patients aren’t able to clear the virus with the first course of treatment.

Date: May 10, 2022 10:00AM
I agree. I didn't really know how to phrase it in just a few words, so I did the best I could.

Janit
I would argue with your subject line for this post, as the phrasing suggests that people should not take Paxlovid because it causes more illness. It is more accurate to say that, for some people, Paxlovid treatment is not enough to clear the virus. Hard to make a good sound bite out of that, I know.

rgG

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 74
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020