advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
McCarthy, Jordan, Biggs, Brooks, Perry-latest GOP traitors subpoenaed by Jan 6 Committee
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 12, 2022 02:08PM
Representative Bennie Thompson, a Democrat and Select Committee chairman, said in a press release that the five House Republicans who received subpoenas have information about events leading up to the attack.

"Before we hold our hearings next month, we wished to provide members the opportunity to discuss these matters with the committee voluntarily,” Thompson said. “Regrettably, the individuals receiving subpoenas today have refused and we’re forced to take this step to help ensure the committee uncovers facts concerning January 6th.”

[www.reuters.com]
WASHINGTON, May 12 (Reuters) - Congressman Kevin McCarthy, the top Republican in the U.S. House of Representatives, and four other lawmakers received subpoenas on Thursday from the House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol by Donald Trump's supporters.

The Jan. 6 House Select Committee issued the subpoenas to try to secure the lawmakers' testimony after they had rejected voluntary cooperation with the investigation.

McCarthy on Thursday told reporters that the committee's investigation is "illegitimate" but did not answer questions about whether he would comply with the subpoena.

In January, McCarthy said in a statement that he would not cooperate with the committee's investigation.

"As a representative and the leader of the minority party, it is with neither regret nor satisfaction that I have concluded to not participate with this select committee’s abuse of power that stains this institution today and will harm it going forward," McCarthy's statement said.

The other Republican lawmakers receiving subpoenas were Representatives Jim Jordan, Mo Brooks, Scott Perry and Andy Biggs.

"This whole thing is a charade," Perry said of the subpoenas.

Representatives of Brooks, Jordan and Biggs did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: McCarthy, Jordan, Biggs, Brooks, Perry-latest GOP traitors subpoenaed by Jan 6 Committee
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 12, 2022 02:11PM
There need to be laws preventing people from ignoring congressional subpoenas, otherwise what’s the point of them?
Re: McCarthy, Jordan, Biggs, Brooks, Perry-latest GOP traitors subpoenaed by Jan 6 Committee
Posted by: steve...
Date: May 12, 2022 02:22PM
Is there a list of those who have ignored subpoenas?

Kevin McCarthy did but besides Steve Bannon, has anyone else been criminally charged?

Northern California Coast
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 12, 2022 03:06PM
steve...
Is there a list of those who have ignored subpoenas?

Kevin McCarthy did but besides Steve Bannon, has anyone else been criminally charged?

No, because the committee can't charge anyone. They can only refer to the Dept. of Justice and DoJ has so far not charged anyone else (i.e. Mark Meadows).

Posted by: timg
Date: May 12, 2022 03:06PM
What's to stop them from just ignoring the subpoenas?

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: May 12, 2022 03:39PM
timg

Respect for the country, duty to the people and the institution, belief in the integrity of the process and the rule of law.

Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 12, 2022 03:52PM
Tiangou
timg

Respect for the country, duty to the people and the institution, belief in the integrity of the process and the rule of law.

smiley-laughing001

e pluribus unum
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 12, 2022 05:51PM
Poor babies. Subpoena a congressman for possibly fomenting insurrection? Unpresidented!

I mean, it’s not like these Freedom Caucus guys are lowly Secretaries of State, who can be (and have been) subpoenaed for just any BS thing.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 12, 2022 06:04PM
Ted King
Tiangou
timg

smiley-laughing001

smiley-laughing001smiley-laughing001smiley-laughing001

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 12, 2022 06:04PM
pdq
Poor babies. Subpoena a congressman for possibly fomenting insurrection? Unpresidented!

Freudian slip?

It is what it is.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 12, 2022 09:12PM
"This whole thing is a charade," Perry said of the subpoenas.

All too true, unless people go to jail for doing so.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020